Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Powering questions for those more experienced than I.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Powering questions for those more experienced than I.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 09:44 PM
RCOZZY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powering questions for those more experienced than I.

OK.....Here's my dilema......I'm building a DUMAS 44' MLB. http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...fm?boat_id=426 Hull is done it's time to start thinking about installing running gear before the deck is put in place. I have the DUMAS running gear for twin engine counter rotating props. I have not bought motors yet. I have been experimenting with a Dickie Tug bought off of eBay. I've ripped the functional but primitive radio gear out of it and retrofitted true proportional radio gear. Like these examples----> http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/My_...1%20Dickie.htm I replaced the 3 pole 380 motor that it came with for a 5-pole 385. Speed Control is accomplished with a cheap Car type ESC. I've found that slow speed control stinks with this setup. Which brings me to these questions.

Is the price of small speed controls from the likes of MCD etc.. truly justified in the slow speed control they advertise? Will a $40 ProBoat do it or is it aimed more at fast electrics? What is PWM and how does it relate to slowspeed on a ESC?

Is the Dumas Pitmann motor or any .05 size motor overkill in the 44' MLB? The 385 moves the Dickie Tug along just fine at high speed with direct drive. So is it even worth it to put two big Pittmans and the associated brass gear monkeybusiness in the 44 footer?

I defer to those with more experience as I don't want to waste $$$ and time installing something that is overkill on speed and the wallet.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:30 AM
green-boat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Powering questions for those more experienced than I.

The Proboat ESC's are ok for general use but I have founnd that for slow speed they are not the best. Another thing that I have found with them is that they do not provide full battery voltage to the motor due to their higher internal resistance. I'm not familiar with MCD ESC'S but I have used Vantec's 411P's and love them. They are about $80 each but you will be able to see the prop creep along. PWM stands for pule width modulation and is used by better ESC's. In a nutshell the battery voltage gets switched on/ off at a high rate of speed (switching frequency). Sort of turning a light switch on/ off very fast.

As for motors, the Dumas Pittmans are great slow speed motors but a bit pricey. I would go for a 555 series motor versus a 550 motor. The last digit designates the number of poles on the motor. 5 being a 5 pole motor and 0 being a 3 pole motor. The more poles, the slower speed but more torque and longer run times. You may have noticed this with your Dickie Tug. I would go with 2-555 motors and forget the noisy gear setup and direct drive the props.