Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Runs then dies ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Snowwboarderdude56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runs then dies ????

my savage 25 will run for aboiut 3 minutes and then die. im new and i have no idea wwhat to do. the engine seems hotter than usual when it dies, so im assuming my low speed is to lean? or could it be my idle screw is to lean?

also one more quietion. there is no way it wouod be the glow plug right? casue once it starts the glow plug doesnt do anything anymore? or am i wrong?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:26 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Runs then dies ????

Check out this link it has a trouble shooting section a few pages down. Its for a 4.6 but it should be about the same.
http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/instr/15201/15201.pdf
Old 11-10-2006, 12:35 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

how old is the truck? has it been run without an air filter?
your piston/sleeve might be shot
Old 11-10-2006, 12:36 AM
46u

Once the engine starts the glow plug stays hot glowing red do to the combustion of the engine. So yes the glow plug still has to work after the engine starts. Is the engine easy to start? Did it ever run properly for you? Might want to set the needles back to factory settings and start over on tuning.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:02 AM
pulse213

Yes,try fattening up the low side.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:49 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: pulse213

Yes,try fattening up the low side.

Jeeze, it's got nothing (or very little) to do with the LSN. If you're getting hot after a few minutes of run time and it's cutting out you're most likely way too lean on the HSN. If you haven't ruined the piston and sleeve yet then you need to read your manual on tuning, reset to factory settings and retune it correctly. If you dno't have the manual look on HPI's site: hpiracing.com. They have all the manuals and instructions for your truck.

For the sake of your engine, don't just start turning needles. Read and Learn about what you need to do. It will be a costly mistake if you don't!!
Old 11-10-2006, 10:53 AM
turbotb0205
My Feedback: (31)

i dont agree a lean low can cause an artificially lean high thus raising engine temps and making you think your top end is lean i do however agree to reset it to factory break in settings and tune it again as this will be the best and fastest method to gettin it back to normal..

one other note do you have a temp gun if so what are the temps when its "hotter than usual"
Old 11-10-2006, 11:04 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: turbotb0205

i dont agree a lean low can cause an artificially lean high thus raising engine temps and making you think your top end is lean i do however agree to reset it to factory break in settings and tune it again as this will be the best and fastest method to gettin it back to normal..

one other note do you have a temp gun if so what are the temps when its "hotter than usual"
Only in extreme conditions. The HSN controls ALL the fuel to the carb. the LSN only affects the bottom 1/4-1/3 of slide travel. After that it's all on the HSN and the lsn is not in the picture.
The points I was trying to make were three. One, Don't just say "Yes, adjust the LSN" You have no idea where the other needles are so how can you say adjusting the lsn will "fix" anything. Two, The correct way to solve a tuning problem is to reset and start over. And, Three, If you don't know how to tune you need to learn or you WILL ruin a very expensive part of your truck.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Snowwboarderdude56

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

has it been run without an air filter?
unfortunalty yes it has. i was cleaning the filter, and ran teh truck, forgeting that the air filter was off. how do i check if teh piston is shot?
Old 11-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Snowwboarderdude56

and about factory setting. everything should be fluch with teh top if its at factory settings right?
Old 11-10-2006, 02:41 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: Snowwboarderdude56

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

has it been run without an air filter?
unfortunalty yes it has. i was cleaning the filter, and ran teh truck, forgeting that the air filter was off. how do i check if teh piston is shot?
Two ways to check.
#1, With the glow plug out, turn the flywheel with one finger. If you can turn it 1 fulll revolution with ease it's probably bad. It should get very difficult to turn as the piston approaches tdc. This method will give a false "good" reading if the engine has ingested a piece of trash and scored a cylinder wall.
#2, Remove and dissassemble the engine. Look for scratches, gouges, etc in the piston and sleeve. Also slide the piston into the sleeve and try to push it all the way through. You should not be able to. It should stop approxamatly 1/4" from the top of the sleeve.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:43 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: Snowwboarderdude56

and about factory setting. everything should be fluch with teh top if its at factory settings right?
NO, that's not correct.

Go to hpiracing.com and look up your truck/engine. You will find the factory settings there along with lots of other useful info like how to tear the engine down, how to tune, etc.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:15 PM
pulse213

Chill Dave,

Yeah, it could be the high side if it's way out of tune. But I tweak lots of noob trucks at the track every week,and 90% of the time (if it dies that quick) the lsn is too lean. Or it's sucking air somewhere. The lowside doesn't need to be very lean for it to die after only 3 minutes of fart'n around. Most of the time it's been mistaken as the idle screw,and leaned out to make the idle pick up. I've seen big blocks darn near glowing after 7 or 8 minutes of racing before they die from a lean high side. Unless, they are way off.

Now if it's dieing under heavy throttle,then yes it's the highside. That would be a hot motor,not a "seems hotter than normal" motor. If it's dieing at low rpms or as your trying to throttle back up,try richening the low side for a fatter transition. But still, the best advise for a noob would be to start over like Dave mentioned. I tune by ear and temps tho,and don't have the patients anymore for starting over. And yes, I can tune just fine,thankyou. Ask my LHS owner,I tuned his truggy at the last race and he kicked butt all nite,then thru a 20 min. main.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:31 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: pulse213

Chill Dave,

Yeah, it could be the high side if it's way out of tune. But I tweak lots of noob trucks at the track every week,and 90% of the time (if it dies that quick) the lsn is too lean. Or it's sucking air somewhere. The lowside doesn't need to be very lean for it to die after only 3 minutes of fart'n around. Most of the time it's been mistaken as the idle screw,and leaned out to make the idle pick up. I've seen big blocks darn near glowing after 7 or 8 minutes of racing before they die from a lean high side. Unless, they are way off.

Now if it's dieing under heavy throttle,then yes it's the highside. That would be a hot motor,not a "seems hotter than normal" motor. If it's dieing at low rpms or as your trying to throttle back up,try richening the low side for a fatter transition. But still, the best advise for a noob would be to start over like Dave mentioned. I tune by ear and temps tho,and don't have the patients anymore for starting over. And yes, I can tune just fine,thankyou. Ask my LHS owner,I tuned his truggy at the last race and he kicked butt all nite,then thru a 20 min. main.
That's all well and good if you're there to see and hear the engine but to say it blind over the internet to an obvious newb is not really very responsable.
But whatever, I'll leave it to you.
Good luck Snow.....
Old 11-10-2006, 10:34 PM
pulse213

Chill dude,
Old 11-10-2006, 10:36 PM
46u

Still best thing to do is set needles back to factory settings and start over. If this does not work you have a problem.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:16 PM
benzzyo5

everybody chill with sayin chill. we're all trying to help somone out. 46u and dave have the right idea. set everything back to factory settings. check the glowplug anyways replace if needed. also make sure u put the airfilter on.the facory settings r

high speed 4 1/2 from closed just don't tighten it to much when u close the nedles u can damage them.

LSN, 3 from closed.

also seal the engine if it's not