Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

Here's my first pictures.

It's practically ready to fly already.

Thanks
Barry C
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96249.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	561330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11769.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	561331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17795.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	561332  
Old 11-16-2006, 11:48 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go get it Barry. Don't forget next week is probably a short week for work, at least for me it is, and you could have it ready by then.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Barry Cazier

bubbagates...

It's a short week for me too. I'll definetly get started on it. I will take my time though and enjoy the "build/assembly/put together" or whatever we call this building process. I'm looking forward to it.

Trouble with holidays is my family will all be home (not that I don't love my family) and they along with the grand kids require a lot of attention. I'm fortunate that I have a dedicated hobby room (albiet small) where I can leave the project on the bench and work to a point and just stop and pick it up later without having to put everything away each time. Mostly I build at night. Keeps me awake.

Thanks
Barry
Old 11-16-2006, 03:28 PM
bubbagates

Barry,

I understand that. My girls are all grown up and married. I'm lucky as I am divorced so I do not have anyone other than myself to answer too and I can easily convince myself I "need" something .

Though I do work hard, my work is good about us getting time off and since most of the big wigs around here are full scale pilots, they "understand" the need to be flying. So if I decide to leave an hour early, like right now since the time change is not leaving much for daylight, they do not say anything other than to ask how it went. They have even come to watch. That made me nervous at first as I thought, here we go, I'm fired, but being that was 3 years ago, I guess they enjoyed watching.

I like doing my stuff at night as well, I'm not worried about the cat coming in the room, the dog scratching to go out, phone calls as most people are asleep while I'm working. I get a lot more done and done better that way. The trick is knowing when to admit I'm too tired to keep going and then when I finally do go to sleep, I'll wake up the next morning and wonder "what was I thinking" when I look back at what I did while I was tired
Old 11-16-2006, 05:39 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Barry,

Looks just like the one I got 2 weeks ago.[8D]

Come this Spring, I'll have 3 Ultimates;
DP Ultimate .40
DP Ultimate 1.20
GP Ultimate 1.60

With esentially 12 hours used regarding 'work' I'm limited to long weekends for building.

But NO hurry here. Got over 4 months to get 'er done.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:48 PM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

The trick is knowing when to admit I'm too tired to keep going
I've found about 2 hours working on a plane & I need to take a break. Might be the CA or epoxy fumes, but I found myself making mistakes if I'm at it too long in one setting.

Our club has several speedy builders, and they're planes show it.....albeit briefly.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:42 AM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

Would embedding a strip or two of flat CF, into each wing joiner, help strenghten that - prior to assembling a new GP Ult?
Jim,

Sorry, I did miss this...

I beleive it would. It certainly could not hurt...
Here's 2 photo's of my modified wing joiners;

Name:	If10772.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	563006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23219.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	563007  
Old 11-19-2006, 11:13 AM
Barry Cazier

a1pcfixer...

That looks like a good mod. Is it the concensus that the wing joiner needs help? I think I've only heard of a very few wings that failed. I'm not against doing this if necessary, but is it necessary? Where does one get flat carbon fiber strips?

tahnks
barry
Old 11-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Barry Cazier

Do you glue that in there with epoxy? CA? Gorilla? What?

Thanks
Barry
Old 11-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Whether or not "needed", it is apparent that this is an area of improvement that could be made, with little hassle, little weight gain, possible significant strengthening of a very stressed joint.

If CF strips can't be located easily, a couple of cuts spanwise and adding more lite ply (like the face piece) could easily add a LOT of strength.

I cannot recall - did the pics of the failed wing show the plywood facing also broken vertically, cross grain, across it's width/height? It is almost inconceivable that a lamination of 1/8" ply to the face of that joiner WOULD break in shear so completely and utterly.

Not saying we didn't see it in the pics - just wondering about the detail of that plywood lamination part??
Old 11-19-2006, 11:49 AM
bubbagates

Barry,

So far this one failure is the only one I can remember ever being posted on this thread. I am sorry to say I'm not completely convinced there wasn't a speed issue involved in the one failure but that is just my opinion and should not be taken as gospel since I was not there. I've done multiple very hard snaps with mine going sstright up, straight down and level both at speed and flying slowly.

Heck tumbles at full speed have not even done that kind of damage

What a1pcfixer has done sure cannot hurt and I would most likely use epoxy on what he did since getting that to stay in there with GG would be kinda tough though it could be done
Old 11-19-2006, 03:14 PM
a1pcfixer

Barry,

I got my CF strips from a LHS, but they can be found online in various hobby shops. The mfg of mine is Midwest Products Co., Inc....a few miles away from me actually. Part #5744 - .092 x .220 x 24" $5.59

I cut (2) 6" strips, used my Dremel and a carbide router bit to create the 'trench', then used J-B Weld, and layed the strips into place. Afterwards, each sits maybe 1/16" below surface level. That's important (at least to me), so that when I epoxy the joiners into the wings, then some epoxy wil bond into the groove as well.

I'd considered a tube style piece of CF, but don't have a drill long enough. Ya'd think that after 30 years of being a machinist, I'd have every size, length, and size concievable.

As for why I did this; considering I'll have round abouts 2 grand wrapped up in it, such a simple mod seems so appropriate.
But, for every thing we strengthen, something else may then fail.[&o]
Old 11-19-2006, 03:38 PM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: aerobob

I cannot recall - did the pics of the failed wing show the plywood facing also broken vertically, cross grain, across it's width/height? It is almost inconceivable that a lamination of 1/8" ply to the face of that joiner WOULD break in shear so completely and utterly.

Not saying we didn't see it in the pics - just wondering about the detail of that plywood lamination part??
I don't see any lamination in my wing joiners.

Page 124 for LM's crash photo's - post 3100

[link=http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/149873/Pn36797.jpg]Broken wing joiner photo[/link]

Pretty clear that it broke vertically, up/down.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

The lamination he means is that there is a 1/8" liteply plate glued to the front of the joiner... the rest is balsa..

With the balsa laminated to the plate... it should have had plenty of sheer strength to withstand most anything. Like ripping a phone book in half... tough.

Maybe Lafus had one that they didn't put one on or put it on horizontally instead???
Old 11-19-2006, 04:51 PM
iflywhenican
My Feedback: (1)

Guys...If I remember correctly, my joiner was not ply laminated, but was a solid peice of hardwood and I used a "generous" amount of Gorilla Glue when I joined the wings together.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:13 PM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: Maudib

The lamination he means is that there is a 1/8" liteply plate glued to the front of the joiner... the rest is balsa..

Maybe Lafus had one that they didn't put one on or put it on horizontally instead???
I just went & looked at mine again, and yep, it has another piece attached to the area I put my CF strip in.
Didn't see it at first.

My friend who's also building one, said his wing joiners went into his wings really sloppy. I'd better tell him to check this out, hoping he hasn't glued his together yet.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:18 PM
Maudib

They shoul both have looked like this: If you can see the ply strip on the face ofe the balsa block...

Name:	Bz79614.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	563221  
Old 11-19-2006, 05:40 PM
FlyEng
My Feedback: (5)

Well after many days of waiting to find time to fly my Ulti, today was the day. If you guys will look back, my last flight almost ended in disaster. Presumably due to interference or the like. The general consensus on this forum was to remove the lion packs and regulators and go with straight nicads and nimh's. Keep it simple so that we could figure out where the problem was. I did. Guess what? Seven flights and not a single twitch. I mean it was steady as a rock.

I went with bare bones 6.0 volts nicad on ignition and 6.0 nickel medal pack on the receiver. She really flew nice and I regained my confidence with this bird.

My hats off to you guys. You're experienced gas flyers and I needed the help. Thanks a million.

Now to get back into using the lions. I'll need to switch to different regulators though. One at a time. We'll see how it goes.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Bob Pastorello

Maudib - that's the ONE!!! If that plywood piece was NOT installed, we had a "balsa joiner", and that would be fatal at ANY speed - eventually. If I recall correctly, I had to glue the plywood pieces TO the balsa joiner, I used 30 min. epoxy. Anyone else remember that? Or am I hallucinating- again?????
Old 11-19-2006, 05:48 PM
bubbagates

I agree If it was all balsa then it would die sooner or later so I may have to retract my earlier statements.

Here is the statment from the manual for doing both wings

Test fit the plywood and balsa wing joiner into the
joiner pocket of both wing halves. When you are satisfied
with the fit of the joiners, glue the joiner into the bottom wing
panels with 30-minute epoxy. When gluing the wing panels
together, be sure to get glue into the joiner pockets in the
wing. This can be done by applying the glue into the pocket
with a small stick. Apply glue to the pocket, the joiner and the
root rib of the wing.
It's been way too long so I cannot remember how mine was
Old 11-19-2006, 05:49 PM
Maudib

Great news... glad you got some flight time...

And you're right.. one reg at a time starting with the receiver...
Old 11-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Maudib

Nope... mine were already assembled...

ORIGINAL: aerobob

Maudib - that's the ONE!!! If that plywood piece was NOT installed, we had a "balsa joiner", and that would be fatal at ANY speed - eventually. If I recall correctly, I had to glue the plywood pieces TO the balsa joiner, I used 30 min. epoxy. Anyone else remember that? Or am I hallucinating- again?????
Old 11-19-2006, 05:53 PM
bubbagates

flyeng,

That's great to here. So now that you have some flights on it, tell us what you think overall, we'd love to hear
Old 11-19-2006, 06:02 PM
FlyEng
My Feedback: (5)

After many low slow approaches, nose high, power on landings, I tried something different. As we all know, bipes just do it better. I went probably 500' high at about 200' from the end of our 230' runway. (5-10 breeze) Cut the power and with a really low idle, aimed for the end of the runway. I flared, cut the engine, and rolled to my feet. I couldn't beleive how slow she decended. WOW! It was nice.

On the other hand, do you guys have lots of coupling. When I rudder hard, she pitches down bad. Is this a CG thing with the Ulti? I only say this cause many have posted that they have little coupling. As with my Sequel (pattern plane) the CG really effects the coupling. I found this out changing to a two stroke. Lost that mass on the front and made no battery adjustment. I flew like crud until Ryan McLaughlin suggested I move the CG forward to compensate. It wasn't more than 1/2", I bet. Anyway, it was back to the great flying 100 neutral plane I remembered. That was a war story sorry. The ulti really pitches hard down when I yaw to correct track. I hate to think it will take that much mix to fix. Primarily, I'm afraid the mix won't be the same when hovering as in forward flight, or stall turns. Any ideas. I'm ready now to make this baby fly........
Old 11-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Bob Pastorello

YES! flyeng - we need to know..... isn't it just a great airplane? Plenty of rudder authority, eh? Tumbley to the max, too???

bubbagates/maudib - the instructions are clear about gluing it, and clearly states it is plywood. I sure seem to remember laminating mine myself, but I also can't remember lunch yesterday....

The important thing, I guess, going forward is to make certain that the PLYWOOD side fits very snugly against the plywood shear web between the spars. It can't be put in backwards on either wing, I don't believe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.