Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Request for assistance - Dickie RC FDNY Fire Boat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Request for assistance - Dickie RC FDNY Fire Boat

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 10:47 PM
dutch quincy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Request for assistance - Dickie RC FDNY Fire Boat

Greetings,

I am new to RC and am in need of some assistance. I am really interested in purchasing a Dickie RC FDNY Fire Boat for my son.

Sample link attached:

http://www.stuffkidslike.com/cgi-bin/item/109908

I am not familiar with this manufacture, and am also slightly concerned that the range limitation for this model is 160 feet. My son loves tug boats and fire-trucks, so this is the ideal gift. In terms of where we would be using this, we have a medium sized pond in our neighborhood.

Does anyone know of any red flags with this model that I should be aware of? Also, is it possible to extend the range of a boat with some kind of signal booster?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Regards,
Dutch

Charlotte, NC
Old 11-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Flabum

Default RE: Request for assistance - Dickie RC FDNY Fire Boat

Well, 160' is half the length of a football field, with a boat of that size you would probably have trouble seeing it at 160'. I think the range is suitable for that particular model. I can not comment on the quality of the boat, sorry, I do not know that model.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:30 AM
RCOZZY

I bought one last year. I'm currently converting it to "proper" RC. It's an all or nothing control now. But it does work pretty good for what it is. Here's a link http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/My_...1%20Dickie.htm that you may find helpful. If you get it off eBay watch the shipping charges people use. I got mine for $3 + $23 shipping. Run time on the battery is only about 15 min.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:57 AM
LtDoc

Dutch,
Probably the simplest/easiest way of extending 'range' is by using a longer/taller antenna on the boat. There are limits though. At some point, it'll be just 'too' ugly, or will sink the thing. On an average, 160 feet isn't all that impractical for that size of boat.
The manufacturors seem to be using the least they can get-by-with radio systems on all the "toy" boats. As "RCOZZY " said, it's a sort of 'all or nothing' thing, just don't have variable speed or directional control. But, unless you want something more 'serious' than a "toy", who cares, right? And if you do 'care', then get ready for replacing stuff in the purchased boat.
I'm not saying to not buy the boat. I am saying that you shouldn't expect a whole lot from it. If what you get satisfies your need, then it's a good boat to have.
- 'Doc