Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 10:01 AM
cliff600
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

I think I will probably just cut a hole[&o] Maybe I can glue some fiberglass window screen over the hole and maybe that will make it a little less noticeable
Old 11-24-2006, 10:09 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

i followed the direction on this thread for a sliding canaopy and it works nice!!!!!!!!! thanks to all who helped!!!! the wife has to use the puter so talk to everyone later
Old 11-24-2006, 10:50 PM
duber3

HI AGAIN!

I've finish sanding the wing and I'm ready for the sheeting, but I have a little problem
here the pic

has you can see there is some area on the LE that I can't sand or if I sand it, it will
become too thin, I think I will put some balsa in the brown area and sand for the extra wood
is it correct ??

thank!
Old 11-25-2006, 08:56 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duber3

Go ahead and sand just follow the conture of the ribbs and yo can add mtl if you think you need it. When you sheet you will have sheeting all the way down to the edge

Hope this helps

Cheers Bbo T
Old 11-25-2006, 08:07 PM
timothy thompson

remeber the fuse covers that area and the f4u-2,3,4,aqnd 5 had no fillet so that area wont be seen
Old 11-25-2006, 08:34 PM
rt3232

Nice catch Tim

Bob
Old 11-25-2006, 09:56 PM
timothy thompson

this thread is fantastic Ive actually built the sliding cnopy a member put on here with all the measurments and parts lists. Mostly brass square rod and links! work wonderful. I was going to use a g-46 but the lhs ordered a g-62 for me and im glad they did. With all the scale stuff im putting on here it would fly horrible with the smaller engine. Im not monokoting this bird. I have a tf gs p-47 i monokoted so i could use a g-46 and it works well. I have 10 flights on it and will add panel lines and rivits. Flying season is over here last nice day was today!
Old 11-25-2006, 10:05 PM
timothy thompson

hey guys i need good photos of the cockpit area preferably ww2 condition. I bought the cockpit kit but its really dissapointing unless you spruce it up the actual corsair had no floor but the floor was the bottom of the fuse.A little view window was down there. I found out one of the baa baa black sheep corsairs is in detroit so im gonna take a trip. its been fully restored to an authentic paint scheme but im thinking of doing overall gloss blue and do boyington (conrads) ship
Wish they would come out with a true story on film! they were not all drunken bumbs. I cant see how col boyington would allow that seeing he was tech advisor. Maybe money. He was a hard drinker as the show portrayed too bad war does that to people.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:30 AM
rt3232

Tim

Best one I have found is in a mag called (flight Journal) special Issue titled F4U Corsair it was winter issue 2004, You might be able to get one from Flightjournal.com

Hope this helps

Cheers Bob T
Old 11-26-2006, 06:04 PM
NCIS

Hello Everyone,

I just decided to get into warbirds and ordered the Giant FU Corsair by Top flite through Tower Hobbies. Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. I always liked the looks of the Corsair. I am just starting the wind down on a 1/4 Scale Super Cub. I have all scale planes and thought this would be a great one to build and start a warbird collection. I obviously haven't read all the posts but plan to scan them as I start to get ready to build for pointers and recommendations. I plan on putting a Zenoah G62 in it and the Robart retracts. What are most of you using for power? I will most likely be asking questions as I go. I wish I would of started to build this kit when this thread first started. It really helps to have a support group! Well that's it for now.

Thanks for the engine feedback in advance,

Gibbs
Old 11-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Hey Gibbs,

I'm building one now and I'm using a G-62 with a Solo propellor. I have found this forum to be very helpful to me. I continue to read it as I always learn something new and the guys here are very, very friendly. You'll be glad you chose a GS Corsair and you'll really be glad you found this forum. Good luck to you on your build.

David[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 11-26-2006, 07:24 PM
rt3232

Hi guys Well its not my thread but it nice to have you a board.

Gibbs Please post what you will be using for an engine and how much you intend to add mods you know the drill as I am nosy, and Tomcat you've all ready said you will be
using a G-62 but you did not say any thing about mods, If you both will be adding mods I would suggest going over a coupla of threads as they will help you in planning
befor you start, you may aready know them but hear goes.
Royal Corsair .60 Project
1-8 Topflite Corsair Mods

Both are on .60 size birds but there tips and ideas are great in my book, there are a couple of others if you are intrested and intend to do some research

Cheers Bob T
Old 11-26-2006, 07:35 PM
timothy thompson

check out the sliding servo operated canopy beginning on page 34 of the post i printed out all the pics and text and in 4 daqys have a beautiful slidincanopy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! g-62 for power thicker firewall make a second 1/4 firewall and 30 minute them together then 30 minute to nose. when epoxy dries drill i/8 hiles around perimeter of firewall and glue dowels in for strength
Old 11-26-2006, 07:49 PM
NCIS

rt3232,

I don't have any idea what mods need to be done but on my 1/4 scale Super Cub I did them as I saw how they improved the scale accuracy and made the plane a one of a kind, not just another kit. Tell me what mods you did and what should I do. I will try anything to get the best looking plane possible. I already want the sliding canopy that someone said they got from Iron Bay or something. I'm going with 4 1/2" wheels, aluminum rims and Robart 148 retracts. It will have the cockpit kit the radial engine look alike and anything else I can think of to make it special. Give me a list of your mods and pictures if you can. I would really like the help!!! Thanks for the feedback. I will start on it as soon as I finish the Cub and build a new work table. Mine has seen better days and is not perfectly flat anymore. I don't want to build the Corsair on that table. I will probably start the first of January on it. I will keep an eye on this thread everyday until then anyway.

Thanks,

Gibbs
Old 11-26-2006, 09:07 PM
cliff600

What prop are you all using for your G62? Can I get a 3 blade or will it be more hassel than it is worth? I am geting close now guys, hopefully it will be completely done by the new year. I have finished glassing and need to paint, well and buy a prop
Old 11-27-2006, 10:42 AM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Cliff600,

I chose a G-62 with a 3 bladed black Solo Prop. Their hub looked more authentic as did their prop. They received many referrals from Corsair flyers using a 3 baded prop. I'm not as far along as you but I will try to post some pics soon as they may help someone. I bought my G-62 and have bench ran it with a friends Solo 3 bladed prop (which he won't sell) and I think it will do just great. As a bonus, it will look great in the pit area!

[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 11-27-2006, 04:56 PM
NCIS

I tried to find out from Iron Bay if they made a sliding canopy for the TF Giant Corsair and they said no. Someone on this thread said they got one from them. Tell me what you did to get one if you read this or if anyone else knows where to get one. I would like it to have a metal frame and glass instead of plastic with painted lines. Thanks for any help you can give me. Should get the kit tomorrow.

Gibbs
Old 11-27-2006, 08:08 PM
timothy thompson

starting on page 34 of this thread are the instructions . you use the kit canopy with sheet brass reinforcrments. works great
Old 11-27-2006, 08:45 PM
cliff600

what size and pitch prop do I need??
Old 11-27-2006, 09:04 PM
rt3232

Gibbs

I would recommend following the manual for building, so starting with the tail feathers put all the lighting holes you can in the movable surfaces see the front of the thread (I did not keep a log of all the pic posts) So you will have to do some reviewing on you own, be sure to reinforce the rudder 1/32 ply up both sides of the post is your best bet, also again I did not do scale hinges, but had I found some of these threads early on I would have. make the tail end as light as you can, you can air foil the horizontal by adding a 1/8 slab to both side and put lighting holes in the sheeting underneath, just don't put them closer than 1" from the leading and trailing edge beams, and sand to a symmetrical air foil. Put lighting holes in all of the ply structure for the tail wheel (I used a 3/4 hole sew for mine) if you are planning a full body pilot you may have to drop the cockpit floor at least a 1/2" this will change the servo tray and some of the alignment holes, ( go slow )
None of the above will add more than a day to your build. Just plan a head and follow the thread ask question as you need, do the fire wall mod as it helps in the cooling of your engine and I would not put lighting holes in any of the box section in the fwd part of the fuse. I used 3/8 AC 6ply for my engine mount plate and 1/8 dowell 2places each side.

If I get a chance maybe I can make a log, but if you are an experinced builder I would take the time to read the outher threads, as the mods will make more sence to you.

Hope this will get you started

Cheers BobT
Old 11-27-2006, 09:13 PM
rt3232

Cliff

I will start with a 22X6X10 and go from there that is what i was using on my first bird be for its demise.

Bob

PS Guys There great ideas in several threads on servo operated and hand operated, I will review all I can find and try to pick the best ideas for use on my next project,
still looking.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:20 PM
NCIS

Gary9648,

I sent you an e-mail. If you didn't get it for some reason I was wondering how the Iron Bay Canopy worked on your Corsair. They say it it a 1/6 scale and this one is a 1/5 scale. Did it work pretty good or did you have to make a lot of mods to get it installed. Also the pictures on the first page of this thread of the Corsair. Are those pictures of your completed plane. I wanted to say how great it looks and I love that canopy. If it works well, I'm going to order one.

Thanks,

Gibbs
Old 11-28-2006, 07:26 PM
NCIS

Well it's Christmas at my house. The Corsair came today. Now I take the manual out of the box and read it cover to cover for about a week. Then inventory the parts and I will be ready to start as soon as my Super Cub kit and the float kit are finished. I am excited. Opened the box and the wood all looks very nice. This will be my first Top-Flite kit so I hope I will be pleased. I'm getting the Iron Bay sliding canopy and the detailed cowling, radial engine and oil inlets from Fiberglass Specialties. Has anybody else gotten the radial engine from them? How did it compare to the one from Top-Flite? How about the oil inlets?

Gibbs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59672.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	568385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18479.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	568386  
Old 11-28-2006, 08:09 PM
rt3232

Gibbs

I got there cowl and it is great workman ship, don't have a clue on the rest of the things they offer

Cheers Bob
Old 11-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well that didn't take long...

I had originally thought I'd build one of these last winter, then waited four months for TopFlight to do another production run so I could get it. I was then into some IMAC stuff so it went on the back burner until about July, no gear available. I watched that for several months and finally backordered it so I wouldn't miss out and it came in October, just the mains. Now the Empire (Tower) is backordered on the mains again and the air kit, even though I'm not anticipating starting it any time soon, maybe I better get the tailwheel gear while it's in stock... []

I don't know if you can get the gear directly from Robart right now or not, but it is more expensive from them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.