Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Help please I'm new to these! Byron F16

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Help please I'm new to these! Byron F16

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 11:07 PM
nsmjim
My Feedback: (52)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please I'm new to these! Byron F16

Hey guys - Does anyone know what type of retracts came as an option with the Byron F-16? I have a bad cylinder on a main gear and don't know enough to find a replacement. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim
Old 11-27-2006, 11:18 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Help please I'm new to these! Byron F16

Jim,
I don't think anything came as a specific option on the Byron F16, I think the commonly used retracts were Robart, Rhom air, or Spring air. If there is only one air line to each retract and they are a gold color they are spring air. If there are 2 air lines and I believe have a black housing they're probably rhom air, if they have 2 air lines and are overall grey, they are probably robarts. Having said that, they could be anything, I'm just going on memory of the rhom air's I used to have (they are no longer available) and the robart and spring air gear I have had or do still have.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:33 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black RhomAirs would be normal for the Byron. Springairs were often installed, but I'm pretty sure Rhom Airs were the factory fitment.
And I have a scrap box full of that stuff, show me a pic and maybe I have something to fit, either Rhom OR Spring air, and you can have it.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:16 AM
nsmjim

Thank you guys for replying. Since this is my first set of retracts (I fly large gas normally), I'm just learning the differences. It is not spring air because it works on air in both directions. It is a silver/chrome cylinder and the leak is where the nipple screws into the cylinder on one end. I haven't been able to get the nipple out to fix it and it appears I will "tear up the nipple" if I can get it out. I'm thinking maybe if I don't destroy the threads inside the cylinder in the process I could just replace the nipple. Don't get me wrong, I'm at the "don't care what it costs" I just want to fly it stage!!!!!
Thanks again for any help with this,
Jim
Old 11-28-2006, 10:31 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Chances are you can fix the leak at the nipple with CA or JB weld, no big deal. And the nipple SHOULD unscrew. Good luck with it. It's not magic or rocket science, it's just a little leaking air, you can handle fixing it.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:14 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Check carefully that the leak is actually in the mechanics and not the flexible line.

If it has been around for a while the airline might have hardened and then it will leak where it is fitted to the cylinder esp. if it has been disturbed.

Hot water might restore some flexibility but I would replumb with new airline.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:36 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

That's wise advice. If this is more than five years old or so, take an evening to replace ALL the airline, or you will most likely have endless small leaks, especially under the challenging enviroment of a screaming glow engine. Been there, done that, with older byron planes i have picked up. Just replace all the airline and be done with it, it's a lot easier than replacing ripped out gear mounts or the bottom of the plane when one, two, or three gears fail to go down.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:41 PM
nsmjim

Thank you. Thank you. I truly mean it. In less than a day I've "vaccuumed up some more knowledge". I'm taking it to heart to guys...just ordered new line to replumb this bird. Hmmm...JB Weld...hmmm...sounds like a plan if I don't tear up the nipple.
By the way, I used soapy water and the leak is definitely at the joint of the nipple.
I've never wanted retracts because I've seen the hassle so many guys have with them...especially when they don't come back down!! I think I'm beginning to understand that it is a matter of a little patience/maintenance just like everything else in our hobby. This is such a beautiful bird and I have so little experience with anything like it...just trying to keep it in one piece!
Thanks again - Jim
Old 11-28-2006, 12:52 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

You got it exactly. Patience and maintainance. Take the time NOW to get it right, and you'll have little trouble later.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

If you use CA, use it carefully, sparingly, and tilt the retract slightly nipple-down while you do it ... the last thing you need is for you to get thin CA running all the way through the threads and inside the cylinder where it may glue the o-ring to the body !

I'm not saying CA is a bad solution - just one that requires a little more care.