Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Old 11-29-2006, 08:58 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Zeeb

That sounds about typical for Tower, but it is hard to beet the prices, Watch RCU classifieds gear shows up there every now and then I found stang gear for my flying buddy for about 2/3 price when he got them they did not have a mark on them and they were used.

Cheers Bob T
Old 11-29-2006, 12:34 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rt3232 is right. I got my gear for my GS Corsair here on RCU and it was NIB. The guy made a mistake and ordered the wrong thing from Tower so, I save a lot and he got rid of them. I have seen them ocassionaly on EBay but most of the time they are used. Good Luck---------

David[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 11-29-2006, 03:02 PM
rt3232

David

Its Zeeb Thats looking for retracts, I will PM him again, and your are right about used, the stang gear I found for my flying buddy did not even have scratches at the mounting holes and were listed as used,

Bob
Old 11-29-2006, 03:25 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Nope it's not me that's looking for retracts, I finally got my mains after about a four month wait. I still need to pick up the tailwheel gear and air stuff. I'm kind of holding off on the tailwheel gear as it's not specific to the Corsair and not as hard to get, the air kit is waiting since a guy I know around here is putting that new electrical conversion for Robarts on his GS Mustang. I'd like to see how that goes before committing to air operation. If the electrical conversion works as advertised, just replace the air cylinder on the Robarts and with programmable timing for transit time and gear door sequencing, it may be a better setup than the pneumatic.

I was actually trying to give NCIS a "heads up" that he needed to start looking for a gear if he wants to start building the first of the year.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Tomcat_104

Hey rt3232,

I was just agreeing with you. I don't do that too often (according to my wife). And, according to her, I'm not too clear either.

David[8D][8D][8D]
Old 11-29-2006, 03:54 PM
rt3232

David

yup thats about it, I think it a female thing.

Bob
Old 11-29-2006, 07:39 PM
NCIS

Why doesn't Tower Hobbies order more so they stay in stock? Now they say mid December. I bet all of them are already spoken for. I am going to try to order some right now and see whats up. I finally got through to Iron Bay for the Custom Sliding Canopy that Gary used on his plane. It's pictured on the first page of this thread and it really looks like it is much better than the one piece that comes with the kit. He says that it is a snap to put on the kit. I have to order the fake radial also. I'll check back tomorrow and see whats up.

Gibbs
Old 11-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Zeeb

Hard to say why they do that, perhaps there are just more kits being sold than Robart can keep up with?

I hope it doesn't work the way it did when I tried to get them. That was in the first part of July and they said they'd be in stock in mid-July, then it was late July, then early August, mid-August, late August, early September, mid-September, I placed them on back order, late September, early October, mid October, they finally notified me in late October that they were in stock but it would be several days before they knew if I would get them. They finally shipped them in late October...

I was on Tower's site last night looking for some other stuff and wondering about the gear, specifically if the tailwheel gear was in stock. That's when I noticed the mains were back ordered again...
Old 11-29-2006, 08:41 PM
rt3232

Hi guys

If you are both going to add gear and strut doors, I would offer a suggestion, in your manual page 15 steps 12 and 23 make sure you drop the gear mount beams down into the wing, at least 1/8 at the spar end and 5/32 or more at the other end, and plan on mounting the gear right out at the fwd end of the beams so metal frame and mounting screws just clear the underside of the wing skin. This will save you a lot of time later when fitting your gears,

Cheers Bob T
Old 11-30-2006, 03:20 PM
NCIS

I ordered the Iron Bay sliding canopy and cockpit today. I had them make the canopy plastic twice as thick as they normally do so it's more rigid. Gary had his made thicker and said it was much better. He used the TF Cockpit but told me that if I hadn't ordered it yet to wait and use the nice cockpit that comes with the sliding canopy. He said it would fit nicely in the kit. I hope he's right. I'm pretty sure he is, the kit he built is beautiful. I back ordered the mains from Tower and she told me about 3 weeks. We will see.

Gibbs
Old 11-30-2006, 07:24 PM
NCIS

Hey Everyone,

Whats the consensus as far as the proper engine for this plane. I tend to build a little heavy so mine will come in on the heavy side. I believe in beefing things up. Maybe to much. It has worked for me in the past with no structural failures in plenty of planes I've built. I always put the biggest engine the kit calls for in my planes. Lately I've been putting even larger engines in with great success. So tell me what do you have in yours. I could read all the posts, but I thought I'd ask and save myself a weeks of reading. I am really interested to know before I get one on order. I'm leaning for the old reliable Zenoah G62 with the E.I.! Please let me know so I can get one ordered.

Thanks,

Gibbs
Old 11-30-2006, 07:39 PM
Tomcat_104

Hey NCIS,

I chose the G-62 with the EI too. My second choice was a single ZDZ80. Money was the deciding factor for me, the ZDZ is great but I thought the G-62 was more than enough motor and was a lot less. I have both and all the confidence in the world in the G-62. You can't go wrong with it.

[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 11-30-2006, 07:49 PM
rt3232

Hi again guys

Based on my experiance and what I have read a G-62 is the optimum, stock or the ie, and making or buying a muffler that has or lends it self to scale outlets is the only draw back.

Cheers Bob
Old 11-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Zeeb

We have to use larger engines for our altitude and in thinking it might be able to swing a little more realistic size three bladed prop, perhaps even the Solo, I've got the ZDZ-80 RV for mine.

A Ralph modified G-62 with a Keleo exhaust ought to do you nicely tho...
Old 11-30-2006, 09:20 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

i use flexible gas line tubing that you use for stove hook ups. Cut off the ends and you have flexible tubing to route to a scale location. you can braze three tubes and make them into one and hook together with jb weld. It works ive don it on my p-47 with a g-46 no problems after lots of flying. It all stays in place.
The cockpit kit is dissapointing. I have to scratch everything the instrument panel is a joke no ww2 corsair looked like that
Old 11-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Tomcat_104

I bought a Ralph modified G-62 to go with a 3-bladed Solo prop. I've talked with Keleo about making a scale exhaust for this plane. I was assured they would have no problem but I haven't bought one yet. This project has been put behind another project for right now. You can't go wrong with a G-62 I don't think.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:33 PM
NCIS

Timothy,

Are you talking about the Top Flite cockpit? If you are you should order the sliding canopy/cockpit kit from Iron Bay. It looks great. Check out Gary's pictures on page one or go to Iron Bay on the net. Look under kits and find it under warbird's. There are a couple close up pictures of it on their site. Check it out It's $73.30 total with shipping. A little pricey but I think it's worth it. I got the plastic double thickness on the canopy on mine for strength. Add a couple bucks for that.

Gibbs
Old 12-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Tomcat_104

Gibbs,

I've been emailing Iron Bay about getting a sliding canopy, they never said anything about a double thick canopy. Did you have to specify that? John said the combo was about $73.00. Is their canopy that much better than TF's? Do you have any pictures?

David[8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 12-01-2006, 06:47 PM
NCIS

Tomcat 104,

E-mail John and ask him to make yours .060 instead of .030, it will make it much more rigid. He will do it but it will cost you a couple bucks more. I gave them $5.00 for the way they treated me. For a picture look up Iron Bay on the web and check out Iron Bay Modeling Company. You will get their Home page. From there select Kits currently available and push your cursor on F4U Corsair. Then scroll down until you see a picture of the cockpit and the sliding canopy. Theirs is much better than Top Flites and it is actual scale. You can also go to the first page of this thread and look at Gary9648's pictures. That is the thicker Iron Bay Canopy. He didn't know it came with the cockpit for that price so he ordered Top Flite's. He told me to go with Iron Bays combo and forget Top Flites cockpit. Iron Bays is much more realistic. Hope it works out for you.

Gibbs
Old 12-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Tomcat_104

Gibbs,

I will do as you suggest. Have you ever looked at the one from DB Balsa? I will look it up as you suggest and the check can go out Monday.

Thanks![8D]
Old 12-01-2006, 07:55 PM
NCIS

Tom,

What are you talking about looking at at DB Balsa? The Corsair kit or the Sliding Canopy/Cockpit? I'm not clear on what your asking. Either way no I have never even heard of them.

Gibbs
Old 12-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Tomcat_104

Gibbs,

I bought a cockpit kit from them a while back. I don't mind buying another one if it's better. Besides, there's always EBay if I need to get rid of it. There website is dbalsa.com, I always call them db balsa but they're real name is Dynamic Balsa. From what I see Iron Bay is probably better. Would you tell me what you think after you've had a look.

David[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 12-01-2006, 11:33 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

i made my own sliding canopy start on pg 34 35 of this thread! I was an award winning plastic modeler before my switch to rc so scratching a cockpit is no problem. the tfkit gives me a floor, seat, and backrest
Old 12-02-2006, 03:08 PM
NCIS

Hey Guys,

I was wondering what you think about the Solo props. I have seen some of the Corsair pic's with this prop but I checked it out and it is very expensive. Is it worth the cost for the performance and scale look? Also does anyone have a link to get a custom scale muffler made for the Zenoah G62? Let me know.

Thanks,

Gibbs
Old 12-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Tomcat_104

Gibbs,

The Solo prop was enpesive but I thought it was worth it. It's scale looks (the black version) and especially the hub sold me. If there is something better I missed it!

David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.