Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Help with Vailly Fw190

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 05:15 PM
flyer103

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Vailly Fw190

Greetings Everyone,

I am ready to take on my first giant scale warbird.

Recently I aquired a Vailly Aviation Fw190 project from a friend of mine who decided he would never get around to building it. It's basically unstarted, with the glass fuse and cowl, wood, plans, tail-wheel retract, etc.

What I do not find is a set of building directions.

Has anyone out there ever build this particular bird, and if so, might you have any suggestions on getting started?

I have been an avid builder for many years. But I've never tackled anything like this before. I want to spend the whole winter and do a really good job.

My only giant scale experience thus far has been a Balsa USA 1/3 J-3 Cub which, no disrespect to those fine folks, took much longer than it should have due to sometimes vague instructions.

I can generally figure things out pretty well if I have to, but I would be a lot more comfortable with a good set of building instructions.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Gene Norman
Old 12-01-2006, 08:25 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Help with Vailly Fw190

My guess is that there are no written instructions. I don't think that many plans built models have them. I know that the three models that I have built from plans had only minimal notes written on the plans. You are expected to rely on your experience to build the model.

Good luck with your 190. It's a project worth the effort it takes to finish it.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:58 AM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Go check out the Vaillancort forum over in RCScaleBuilder, there are several threads on the FW190. You can get a lot of help there. You will have to register to use the site just like with RCUniverse.

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/

Good luck with the build.

Chuck
Old 12-01-2006, 09:03 AM
flyer103

Tom, thanks for the input.

My best bet might be to try and find a "build along" that I see posted here from time to time.

Failing that I may just put the 190 on the backburner and go with a Yellow Aircraft kit. I've always loved the P-38, and my understanding is that theirs is quite nice.

Regards
Gene Norman
Old 12-01-2006, 09:27 AM
TomCrump

There are a couple build threads for your 190 on RCSB, but I don't think they will give you the info that you are requesting. The FW is for an advanced builder. You may want to build a few more kits, tto advance your skills.

I don't know that a Yellow kit will help much in that regard, as much of the construction is already done for you. I would suggest building a large Top Flite kit, such as the P-47. It would help you gain the experience needed your FW.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:49 AM
flyer103

Chuck,

That link did the trick! I found a build thread dedicated to the exact model I have. Thanks!

Tom, thanks for your input as well. I think I'm going to proceed with the 190 build. Between it and the plans it's all looking pretty clear.

Best regards to you both.

Gene Norman
Old 12-02-2006, 02:42 PM
TomCrump

Gene, The builders on RCSB are a friendly group. I'm sure they will be happy to share their knowledge with you.

Have fun building your 190. We have to keep those LW birds in the air.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]