Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Don't know much about the Solo props, in fact I'd never heard of them until I saw mention of them on this thread. They DO look interesting, but as you noted, spendy. Barring some more input from actual users, I don't think I'll be ordering one.

As for exhaust, I think Kelvin is probably one of your better sources considering the quality of his work (I've seen the functional GS P-51 exhaust), willingness to tackle something according to your wishes, and prices for that work... [8D]

http://www.keleo-creations.com/
Old 12-02-2006, 03:50 PM
SMUGator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree about Kelvin at Keleo. I just got the scale exhaust for my 1/8 and I'm very happy. I'll post pics when I have a few minutes.

Tom
Old 12-02-2006, 04:18 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gibbs

I secound the Keleo system an I will have on in my next project, but the only draw back from what I have read (so take this with a grain of salt) is it will cost you about 500 rrrr's on the top end. have not seen one for a 62 as yet I just hope it has a silicon tube connecting the hedder to the fuse mounted componets

Have tryed to read all info on the 62's to see if any one has any posted info on the solo props have not found any as yet

Cheers Bob
Old 12-02-2006, 05:23 PM
NCIS

I e-mailed Keleo a few minutes ago about the exhaust. I'll wait to here what he has to say. Thanks for the info. I got his link from Tom Crump. I think I'm going all out on this plane. Only the best. I want it to turn heads when it's finished. Has anyone heard any bad vibes about Iron Bay not delivering on an order? I heard some rumblings and am a little anxious now about having sent them money. I hope it's just hearsay. Has anyone had any problem that weren't resolved?

Thanks,

Gibbs
Old 12-02-2006, 07:15 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

you can make f4u exahst yourself it was three tubes. brase together the tubes then fit on over the three and braze. there you go it takes the heat ive done it
Old 12-02-2006, 07:42 PM
NCIS

Tim,

I work with wood and fiberglass. I can solder, but that's it. You want to make them for me. I'll pay you for the materials and time. I don't think your answer is going to be yes so I have to have someone build them.

Gibbs
Old 12-02-2006, 07:45 PM
rt3232

Tim
After seeing how Dion did his the three tubes are the easy part, it's getting a half ring to couple them and a header that gets a connection from the engine is my concern, I still want to see his design a sketch, dwg to give an indication of how it will work. I have seen the P-51 type and they are hard mounted..

We shal see

Cheers Bob T
Old 12-02-2006, 10:46 PM
timothy thompson

you just braze the end of the three tubes where they connect the main. Kleto can make them easier but more expensive.. ya I can make them for you but im not a welder they look ugly on the inside but noone sees that part. All you see are the three pipes. Im working on the cockpit and am going nuts on the detail. the scale modler in me is comming out. with a g-62 sitting in the house ill have the power! the only detail im not doing is folding wings no thank you on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2006, 10:51 PM
timothy thompson

you just braze the end of the three tubes where they connect the main. Kleto can make them easier but more expensive.. ya I can make them for you but im not a welder they look ugly on the inside but noone sees that part. All you see are the three pipes. Im working on the cockpit and am going nuts on the detail. the scale modler in me is comming out. with a g-62 sitting in the house ill have the power! the only detail im not doing is folding wings no thank you on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2006, 11:02 PM
timothy thompson

when i PURCHASED MY G-46 IT CAME WITH A NICE BELL MOUNT THAT MOUNTED THE SPRING STARTER TO THE ENGINE. I CANT FIND THIS ON ANY WEB SITE JUST THE FLAT MOUNT THAT COMES WITH THE MOTOR. I WOUOLD HAVE TO CUT A HOLE IN THE FIREWALL TO TAKE THE BACK OF THE MOTOR. Any body rember these. they were all milled aluminum.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:03 PM
timothy thompson

you can use gas line and the muffler that comes with the engine. read my posts from earlier as to how to do it
Old 12-03-2006, 04:59 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: timothy thompson

when i PURCHASED MY G-46 IT CAME WITH A NICE BELL MOUNT THAT MOUNTED THE SPRING STARTER TO THE ENGINE. I CANT FIND THIS ON ANY WEB SITE JUST THE FLAT MOUNT THAT COMES WITH THE MOTOR. I WOUOLD HAVE TO CUT A HOLE IN THE FIREWALL TO TAKE THE BACK OF THE MOTOR. Any body rember these. they were all milled aluminum.
Hello everybody. Gibbs told me about this thread. I thought I'd stop by and take a look.

Timothy, Without reading the hole thread, are you referring to a G-45? If so, these folks have a cup mount for it. http://bennettbuilt.com/index.html
Old 12-03-2006, 12:09 PM
rt3232

Tom C

Welcome, and it is great to have more thoughts on things

Cheers Bob T
Old 12-03-2006, 03:22 PM
timothy thompson

thats it thanks
Old 12-03-2006, 03:23 PM
NCIS

Hey Guy's,

Did any of you glass your plane? How hard is it to glass over balsa? I've done a lot of repairs for my Father when he owned a marina but never on any thing but boats and outboard engine covers. That was back in the late 60's and early 70's. Let me know and if you have pictures of the process I'd really appreciate seeing them!!!

Gibbs
Old 12-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

NCIS,

This is a neat website that's worth a look, http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...nish/index.htm. This will take you straight to the fiberglassing section. Having done both methods I think "glassing" is a lot easier than monokote. This article (and another which I can't find right now) helped me a lot. I did my first "glassing" job about 5 years ago and have done many since then without any problem. PM me if I can help.

David[link=http://www.airfieldmodels.com/information_source/how_to_articles_for_model_builders/finishing_techniques/apply_fiberglass_finish/index.htm]Fiberglass[/link]
Old 12-03-2006, 04:05 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I'll follow along and chime in once in a while.

timothy thompson: You'll get good service from BandB. I ordered a muffler for my G23 and had it 3 days later.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:18 PM
NCIS

Tim,

I tried to go on that site but it came up page unavailable. Check it out and tell me if there is another way to get on it.

Gibbs
Old 12-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Zeeb

Gibbs,

I'm not sure why it happens, but occasionally when a link is provided it will fail to show up. I tried the direct link and it didn't work, but if you'll go to the home page and then browse to the "How to" articles, it is there at the same addy shown in the link posted above. Go to the site map from the frame on the left side of the page and the fiberglass article is about 1/3 the way down the page.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/index.htm

Oh David, that is a GREAT site!
Thanks for the link
Old 12-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Tomcat_104

At first I couldn't get it to work either then I found out it was my computer. Nothing that a hard start wouldn't fix. This is a good site, it's chocked full of information. I found it shortly after it started and it has helped me ever since. I did CUT and PASTE the info in the link and that worked for me. But of course it's probably permanently burned in my computers memory. Sorry for the bad link guys, I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Enjoy!
Old 12-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Zeeb

David,

Actually if you click where it says "Fiberglass" right behind your name, it works...

Now that's one I've not seen before!
Old 12-03-2006, 05:48 PM
NCIS

Zeeb,

I found the site by just using airfieldmodels.com and went to the how to section and found it. I bookmarked it for future reference.

Thanks,

Gibbs
Old 12-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Tomcat_104

Zeeb,

How did I do that? If I could repeat it I would. Bookmarks work sooooooo much easier. I'm from the South so stay tuned for the next "hey ya'll watch this"! Just stand back and keep the little ones away!
Old 12-03-2006, 06:15 PM
cliff600
My Feedback: (3)

I just got finished glassing mine and getting it all painted. This was the first time I had ever done any glassing and I think it went pretty well. I should have taken more time, but I still think it turned out well. If one would be experienced in it the would not need to sand as much as I did. I am happy with it. I used west systems epoxy, it gave off almost no odor. It was very little like you needed to stick your nose in the pot to smell anything.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:09 PM
NCIS

Cliff,

I've used west systems on boats. What resin and hardener did you use?

Gibbs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.