Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP New Spitfire Mk XIV

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP New Spitfire Mk XIV

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 06:41 PM
alanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP New Spitfire Mk XIV

GLAD IT WENT OK FOR YOU!! did the guy in the wrong say something along the line of, oops, sorry, never thought?? what a plank!!
Old 12-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

Hello, I have the KMP spit and was wondering what retracts are being used on this plane? I want to use air but I am unsure as to what retract degree retact to use, seems like either 90*or 100*. Not going for all scale apperance but want it to look somewhat natural.

Thanks Shane
Old 12-02-2006, 02:19 PM
alanc

did you not but the ones designed for it? the ones that come with the kit?
Old 12-03-2006, 12:44 AM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

My bad, I was reading this thread and wrote KMP instead of CMP. The CMP comes with fixed gear but the retracts should fit the same.

Shane
Old 12-04-2006, 06:59 PM
ChristerL

Hi all,

I have now created a page with a "few" photos of my KMP Spitfire. Not finished yet though. Need to do the final R/C installation, minor paint touch-up, weathering and more cockpit details! Enjoy!

[link=http://www.hawkertempest.se/uploads/spitfire.htm]KMP Spitfire Mk. XIV Extreme Make-over[/link]

Cheers!
Christer Landberg
[link=http://www.hawkertempest.se]The Hawker Tempest Page[/link]

Old 12-06-2006, 04:12 PM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Christer,

Excellent Webpage. Looking good.

I had to chuckle to myself since I see you made the same easy mistake I did... accidently punching a hole through the wing fairing while drilling holes for the wing hold down bolts.

Oriole
Old 12-07-2006, 09:09 AM
cobra525
My Feedback: (5)

I must agree your site is very nice and helpful links. My next step is a cockpit also along with some very light weathering, and a small good luck nude babe somewhere wouldnt hurt either.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:53 PM
proulxlaw
My Feedback: (3)

Very cool.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:49 PM
FLYBOY2000

OK Gurus,

I've been thinking about this airplane for a whiile now. I was just put off by the amount of Mods it seems to need. So...
What do you think? Can someone list all the " required " mods for me. I'm trying to decide between this and the H9 .60 spitty.

Thanks

FB2K

Old 12-08-2006, 02:07 PM
proulxlaw
My Feedback: (3)

I don't have either spit yet so, I can't comment on the mods but, I usually decide depending on what free motors I happen to have lying around at the time of the decision.

What spare motors do you have on hand?
Old 12-08-2006, 02:10 PM
solarmusic
My Feedback: (1)

If you want complete, cheap, simple and fast, this isn't for you> The mod list would be endless and as always its up to the builder. You might build this "StocK right out of the box" not modify anything and be happy, but because this plane is close to scale it's more complex and there are things an experienced builder / pilot will do as a matter of course. You pretty much have to do some building and designing, but that's to be expected. H9's are pretty much "Click , glue and go". This Spitfire is a great airplane, but you better know what you're doing.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:37 PM
alanc

this aircraft can be built straight out of the box, with the supplied hardware, and be built, not quite as quick as the hangar 9 one, about double that, BUT because it is SCALE and not basically, semi scale, a lot of builders decide to go all the way, and incorparate many other scale details (witness the link to the makover of our spitfire,) if you find kinverflyers picture of his spitfire, this was built from a STOCK kit, with the only modification being an elavator joiner, with a brazed tiller arm, this was to faciliate the fitting of a carbon pushrod, something we are all doing,
it depends what you want, cartoon scale (no dis-respect here, its quite a common phrase in the UK) covered in film, basic flat plate tail feathers,with an outline that is not very accurate, and no surface detail, or an actual SCALE spitfire, with good surface detail, airfoil sectioned tail surfaces, fabric covered, spray painted in the CORRECT shades, and a HELL of a looker??? decision is yours

one is a quick, cheap fix, one is for the connoseur of scale, who can build it as the kit, or go to town, but bear in mind, the ones with all the work, look just the same as the ones with no work, at 100 foot up

you also have the advantage, that i, and my fellow YT personell, are but a press of a button away from sorting out any problems you may encounter, this spit build has quite a following, both on this forum, and on r/c flyers

ALSO this will be one of the first of the old line to go all composite, no date yet, though
Old 12-08-2006, 05:08 PM
ChristerL

Thanks for all nice comments on my make-over-Spitfire! (I'll try to add some comments on the web page asap.)

And I do agree with Alan, no mods is really needed on this model. It's a master-piece built out of the box, and a friend who already has flew his Spitfire for 6 months, LOVES it! And he did no mods at all. But I thought mine needed a cockpit, retractable tail-wheel and a few other details. It's all up to the builder!

Cheers!
Christer Landberg
Old 12-08-2006, 06:41 PM
alanc

sorry, i should have said that the scale improvements on your, and other spits, are quite superb mine is still in the box, and will, i hope join them, for mine is to be a replica of the current ROLLS ROYS MK19 PR SPITFIRE, if and when i get round to it,
All the wing has differant bits and bobs on it, there are camera lenses to sort out, and the canopy is totally differant, just shows you can go mad with it, or not, you can please yourself,
Old 12-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

My biggest fear is the gear set up. I have yet to hear anybody having success with a drop in gear without many modification's . I would expect not to have to shim the mounts and would like to have the gear sit flush in the wings without any modification's. I have heard the Robart's are not a drop in replacement without modification's.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:33 AM
FLYBOY2000

So, how long before the composite ones will be available. Will there be a substantial price increase? Just wondering if it were weeks or more likely Months away.

So what seems to be the engine of choice to keep it completely enclosed, yet...reliable?

Thanks.

FB
Old 12-17-2006, 04:45 PM
MerlinFan
My Feedback: (27)

If you want completly enclosed and reliable you need a motor instead of an engine. I'm using an OS 120 which will be reliable but it will be
sticking out in the breeze. I've had his plane for almost a year and have just started it. Hooray!
Old 12-17-2006, 06:10 PM
alanc

its defo not weeks away, sorry
Old 12-18-2006, 01:00 PM
FLYBOY2000

Would an OS 91 or YS 93 work with this airframe. Just trying to minimize cowl hacking.
Has anyone tried the Shindinmachine landing gear on this bird?

FB2k

Alanc, thanks for the info on availability of the composite.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

Never heard of a YS 93.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY2000

Would an OS 91 or YS 93 work with this airframe.
I would not use an OS 91 on a 14# plane. A YS 91 or YS 110 will work.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:56 PM
cpg007

Where I can buy the KMP Spitfire MK XIV Scale Spinner?
Old 12-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try KMP or SpeedersOnline.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:12 PM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Finished mine over the Christmas Break. Just need to dress down with light flat clear overcoat spray, and awaiting dry warm day to do so.

Like most aircraft in this thread, needed 1.5lbs. of weight in the nose and coming in at slightly over 14lbs.

I have a Magnum 120 in mine. Anybody flying with this powerplant and how is performance?

Finally, I bought a pilot but have decided to not install due to increased aft cg weight.

Oriole
Old 01-29-2007, 11:36 PM
kochj

Has anyone put in a gas engine like a evolution 26, Roto 26 or a Zenoah? It seems that (pending size limits) that with the extra weight needed a gasser would work out well... Perhaps a wrecking of the cowl and scale looks though, anyone comment?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.