Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Good masking tape?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 02:29 PM
nickrummy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good masking tape?

I've been researching a lot about airbrushing and I'm giving it a go this weekend. I've drawn up a few quick little designs on the computer to use.

I plan on just getting some masking tape around 1" wide and overlapping pieces together to make a large piece then putting a print out over top of the masking tape and cutting out my design. We had some vinyl at work I tried yesterday but the vinyl was to thick and it was hard to get it to form to the body.

My questions is, what is a good type of masking tape? I seen a few people using a green colored tape. Who is it made by and is it something I can get from home depot or similiar style stores?

Here are the designs I'm thinking about. I'm wanting to try the symmetric design because it seems simple, just put a shadow behind it and do a two tone color on the body. I tried laying this design down with the vinly but the shape from the body kept me from getting the vinyl to seal near the contours.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:49 PM
xacdesigns

Default RE: Good masking tape?

you can use the gree 3m tape, the tan 3m tape, any masking tape really. Just be sure you burnish the edges really good!

What kind of vinyl are you using?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:24 PM
nickrummy

I have about every kind of vinyl imagineable at work... I believe it was called Supermask?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:27 PM
nickrummy

I was going to try airbrushing a while back and did the same thing and used the same vinyl but had the same problem. The vinyl was to thick and when it tried contouring to the body it would kink up on inner edges or wouldn't stretch to stick to the body.

This was a mustang body I was going to try but couldn't get all the edges nice and flat.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:32 PM
xacdesigns

did you try heating up the vinyl with a hair dryer? I remember doing vinyl for actual cars and there were many times I had to heat it up to get it into tight places.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:36 PM
calvin33

The blue 3M painters tape or liquid mask.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:24 PM
speed racer 12

Just so you know, they do sell a special masking tape, and blank pieces of paint mask made especially for RC car bodies at hobby stores. This stuff works marvelously and is very flexible, you can get the really thin tape which is excellent for pin-striping, you can make curves with the tape quite easily because of the flexibility.

And the blank pieces of mask are great for making your own designs.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:12 PM
nickrummy

thanks speed racer, that is exactly what I did. I stopped in to get some parts the other day and asked if he had anything. I bought some stuff by tamiya. Seems to be working GREAT!
Old 12-31-2006, 04:56 PM
Soupy944

ORIGINAL: calvin33

The blue 3M painters tape or liquid mask.
blue 3M FTW!!!!!11