Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Old 12-19-2006, 08:16 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

rt3232,

Where did you get your pilot? Did you have to make all the accessories?

Gibbs
Old 12-20-2006, 12:04 AM
RCPILOT78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NCIS the canopy is framed with a thin plastic sheeting...it gives it a look of metal frame around the bubble....its sheeted on the outside and the inside also this gives the canopy more depth. I was abe to give the look of the two halves being seperated...I do this with all my canopies.

rt3232..the wing is not yet covered...it will look the same as the fuse...I will be covering the wing in a couple of weeks
Old 12-20-2006, 10:56 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

RCpilot
Please explain a little more on how you frame your canopy mtl, and type of adhesive used, as in the samples I have tried with left over asatite9spelling) and thin CA it just curels.

And I realy do think your workman shsip is great, hope to see pic's sone

Cheers BobT

TO ALL HAVE A MARY CHRISTMASS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR,,
Old 12-20-2006, 01:31 PM
NCIS

RCPILOT78,

Let me get this clear. What your saying is you added plastic strips where the supports for the canopy are and also added the plastic strips to the bottom of the canopy all the way around. Did you put sheeting on the half circle also? I wasn't sure if I got that right. It looks like thats what you did now that I take a real close look. What did you glue the strips on with and did you just use the left over sheeting after cutting out the canopy? Sorry for being a pain but it looks real good!

Thanks,

Gibbs
Old 12-20-2006, 01:35 PM
NCIS

RCPILOT78,

I was posting at the same time rt3232 was. I guess we both had the same thoughts.

Gibbs
Old 12-20-2006, 03:27 PM
RCPILOT78

What I use is a very thin plyable plastic sheeting..yes I framed all the crossover parts also...I first made templets out of construction paper than transferred to the plastic..cut out the parts you can put them on in sections..I simply used canopy glue.or any craft glue that dries clear will work....paint the pieces if you want before you glue them on...I would also suggest that you can use the leftover plastic form the canopy.I have a similar craft sheet of plastic that is almost the same..its as simple as that..I framed both sides of the canopy to give it a 3D look...when you look at the canopy you will see the clear bubble sandwiched between the framing...this detail is much easier to produce and takes the place of the look of a sliding canopy..you can add a simulated track to the fuse to make it look like it slides.......have fun its easy !!!
Old 12-20-2006, 04:39 PM
NCIS

RCPILOT78,

What thickness plastic did you use and where did you get it?

rt3232,

Here is the pilot I am thinking of using. He is 12" tall and they say he is 1/6 scale I just have to make a leather helmet for him and goggles.

Gibbs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14778.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	580826  
Old 12-20-2006, 05:06 PM
RCPILOT78

NCIS...its hard to tell its about 1/16 inch thick or a little less..don't go more that 1/16 it will look out of scale.. a 1/16 will give it enough depth to be noticelable..but not overbearing...that pilot will do just fine..the only thing is the navy , and marines used more of a tan uniform and flight suits rather than the army greens..and black leather...
Old 12-20-2006, 05:51 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

RCPILOT
I am having fun but not with canopies will try what you suggested on an old canopy, Now if I can just put half of the things I ve lerened this last year in to my next project I will be a happy camper..

MARRY CHRISTMAS AND HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR

Bob T
Old 12-20-2006, 05:54 PM
NCIS

RCPILOT, the canopy is made out of .030 thick plastic. I think I will just use whats left over. I have two canopies so I will have one to try to get perfect and if not I have a second one to get right, I hope. It sounds easy. This was the only pilot that I really liked out of the ones I saw. I'll just tell people that the plane is being transported by an Air-force or Army Lt. He is really a B-29 pilot. I'm getting it off of e-bay.

Thanks for the help,
Old 12-21-2006, 01:42 PM
NCIS

RCPILOT78,

Two more dumb questions. Canopy glue doesn't hold right away. How did you hold the pieces in place when gluing them on? Also what did you use to remove any access canopy glue?

Thanks,

Gibbs
Old 12-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Gibbs,

I used masking tape to hold everything in place and it masked off the area at the same time. It was easy for me to peel off then. I would be interested to hear how RCPILOT78 did it. Mine looks great but it will never fly, unless my sliding canopy doesn't work out. I'm taking some time off from my Corsair because of some holiday that's coming up. he!he! [8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 12-21-2006, 03:07 PM
NCIS

Tomcat_104,

Why won't it ever fly unless the sliding canopy thing doesn't work out? I"m not probably ever going to get the Iron Bay canopy. I think I might have gotten screwed. I'm doing what RCPILOT78 did and then just going to install tracks for looks. I have thought about it and the canopy will be stronger that way. It seems like to much hassle to make the one we have into a sliding one. I also think the people that are making theirs sliding will probably have problems with them unless they are flying off a paved surface. I wish them luck with them anyway!

Gibbs
Old 12-21-2006, 04:51 PM
Tomcat_104

Gibbs,

I'm still waiting for Iron Bay to come though on the sliding canopy. I'm willing to wait a while loger for mine. I got an email from John at Irob Bay on the 18th saying the thicker canopy would not ship until after Christmas. So, I hope they will send it! If they do and I install their canpoy the "regular" will stay on the ground while the other one flies. My field has a grass runway and I didn't feel feel that would be a problem. I was planning to have mine servo operated, I have a 9 CAP with a few extra channels and I have a whole bucket of servos but don't tell my wife!

David
Old 12-21-2006, 07:22 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

WHY CANT YOU GUYS BUILD YOUR OWN CANOPYS ITS NOT THAT HARD
Old 12-21-2006, 08:02 PM
NCIS

Tomcat_104,

John e-mailed me today and said he shipped mine out USPS today. Said I should have it in 3 to 5 days. I think it's OK and you should get yours too. This is the double thick one with the scale cockpit

Tim,

Whats the problem with us just discussing the canopy. You can just not read the posts that we write if it upsets you. Sounds like you are having a crappy day. Sorry if we pi...d you off. Were getting what we originally wanted so there won't be any reason to discuss that subject anymore. Who died and made you moderator.[>:]

Gibbs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48573.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	581502  
Old 12-21-2006, 08:32 PM
cimara

Hey Gibbs is that your corsair it looks fantastic.Is that a solo prop and what size blade did you use
Old 12-21-2006, 08:54 PM
timothy thompson

tomorrow is the last day of school ! i teach math and found out the kids dont know history so im showing the great raid! im upset kids are not taught anything about ww2! sorry ps the canopy really is easy to make and if you are running a g-62 the weight wont matter
Old 12-22-2006, 10:15 AM
timothy thompson

all caps meant i cant see small type i wasnt yelling.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Tomcat_104

Ultimately,with a little help from CTFLYBOY, I will hopefully have 3 canopies. The original one from TF, one from Iron Bay, and one that I build. The Tf came with the kit, the IB was ordered next and I am a man of my word (even if it sits on a shelf) and the one I will try to build. I take great pride in my craft and enjoy things that I have built (even when it's not quite as nice as the factories). But I NEVER (and yes I am yelling) go back on my word. I certainingly wouldn't do it for $37 and I don't think anyone here is saying that. I did not find out until after I ordered one that I could build one so easily. CTFLYBOY sent me a video that WULF190 was kind enough to make that will help me quite a lot.

You guys who post here have helped me so much I can't say thanks enough. I had a stroke back in 2004 and some poor hospital care left with little use of my right arm and right leg. I CHOOSE not to complain because you guys help me so much. Besides that what good would it do? I just go VERY slow and I make print larger usually because I loose my reading glasses.

Anyway, I just wanted to say MERRY CHRISTMAS to you guys!

David
Old 12-22-2006, 01:21 PM
NCIS

Tomcat_104,

Can you make a copy of that disc and send it to me. I'll be happy to pay for it. I would also like to try to make one myself and choose which one I like best.

Thanks,

Barry
Old 12-22-2006, 01:41 PM
Tomcat_104

Hey Gibbs,

George has already thougt of you and asked me to make one for you which I did and put in themail yesterday. Since I also have never seen a real life Corsair my wife got me a "Aero Files: Chance Vought F-4U Corsair" CD that is just chocked full of photos of a real plane. It is GREAT!

David
Old 12-22-2006, 06:56 PM
NCIS

Tomcat_104,

I sure do appreciate your thinking of me and sending me the disc. There are a lot of great people on RCU and you are one of the best. Yesterday I ordered the 1/7 scale F4U-5 Top Flite Corsair and the cockpit kit. My son loved mine and wanted a warbird so I ordered it for him. Of course I will have to build it and teach him to fly it but He got really excited when I showed it to him on Tower's web site. I also downloaded the instruction manual and there are a lot of similar building instructions as the Giant in it.

Thanks again for the disc,

Gibbs
Old 12-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Tomcat_104

Gibbs,

This is a great family sport. I got my son and daughter involved in in before my stroke. Now I build and they fly. A dad couldn't have 2 better pilots. My son, who's 17 now is a better pilot than his dad ever was. It's great that your son is interested in the Corsair too. I wish you good luck with his. My first fiberglass build was a 1/8th TF Corsair powered by a Saito 1.20. I of course did it backward from what you're doing but there were a lot of similarities between the 1/8th and the GS. How old is your son? Has h been interested in R/C very long? By the way I had no problems with the Robart 615 landing gear. I think they got a bad rap on some of the forums.

David
Old 12-22-2006, 08:15 PM
NCIS

Tomcat_104,

My son is 11 and I'm 53. He got interested in it the same time I did. We started last December and he helped me finish build a CG Freedom 20 trainer. I then got a Nexstar and learned to fly on it. I am semi-retired so I have a lot of time to build. So far since December I have built the Freedom 20, Midwest Cherokee 40, CG Super Chipmunk, Sig Kadet Senior with many mods such as it's a tail-dragger with bolt down wings and functional struts, And now I'm finishing up on my 1/4 scale Super Cub. I also have a Hanger 9 FuntanaX 100 with a Saito 4-stroke that I just completed. I flew several of these planes and now next spring it my sons turn for me to teach him to fly. I don't think he is going to need much help. He flies the Nexstar simulator better than I do. He is a play station junky and has very controlled thumb and finger response. He will probable end up maidening my planes in the future as finish building them because he will be better at it than me. Him and my 12 year old daughter are both AMA members and she also is wanting to learn as soon as I'm done with my son Quinn. Anyway I will be posting a build thread on the warbird forum for the baby Corsair. I also am starting one in kit building if you ever want to check it out!

Later,

Gibbs

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.