Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 04:40 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: bart5495

Bill: Where do you buy clear nitrate dope? My hobby shop only carries the Sig Butyrate dope.

Thanks

Doug
The LHS can order it direct from SIG, or you can order from Aircraft Spruce Supply. There are a couple of other places as well. It may be that your LHS has had the Butyrate on hand for some time, and wants to unload it. Lean on him, and get him to order you a quart. This will more than do the waco. You will end up thinning it over and over again. Do not order dope thinner, Automotive lacquer thinner works just fine, and you can get it by the quart at your big box home improvement store cheaply.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-23-2006, 05:34 PM
old git

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bill,

I hope your TRUE friend Benjamin didn’t take my clumsy attempt at humour the wrong way. I am looking forward to your treatment of the blisters, I've considered masking with film but with little hope of success.

I await with bated breath to see how you treat them and if your solution leaves me with any hope of successfully detailing my Mr Mulligan cowl for myself.

old git - - - - - - -aka John L.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: old git

Hi Bill,

I hope your TRUE friend Benjamin didn’t take my clumsy attempt at humour the wrong way. I am looking forward to your treatment of the blisters, I've considered masking with film but with little hope of success.

I await with bated breath to see how you treat them and if your solution leaves me with any hope of successfully detailing my Mr Mulligan cowl for myself.

old git - - - - - - -aka John L.
John,

Naw, Benny has pretty tough hide.

As to your masking situation, can you guys get 3-M Fine line tape over there? If you can, that is what I would use to outline the blisters, and purple masking tape for the rest of the cowl. The fine line is as flexible as electrician's tape would be if you could get it down to 1/8" wide. The purple tape will not allow the paint to be pulled off when removing the tape. If you cannot get these tapes over there, let me know via PM with your address, and I will send you a couple of rolls of the stuff. We'll make a, "Yank", of you yet.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-23-2006, 08:25 PM
flyguy888
My Feedback: (63)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am posting this for those who may use this idea for help or to thier advantage. If you do not like it , keep your flapper shut. I am posting this to help others, not to invite critisism[:-].
Anyway, I have often bought and sold built aircraft and was stymied by the tail feathers. They made me use big boxes and I always had to ship greyhound bus. I built this waco with the option of being able to remove the tail feathers. They are mounted using (4) 4-40 SHCS into brass threaded wood inserts that are screwed into hardwood blocks. Once bolted down that tail aint going anywhere. It added minimum weight, and I had a to get weight back to the tail anyway.
In addition, you can see the slots for the servos for the tail. It allows for easy rigging and I can see exactly how my linkage is doing with a glance. The short moment also allows very crisp action from servo to control surface. I got the servo idea from another thread for 1/5 pica waco. He was using a 1.2 moki and even adding the additional weight to the tail did not cause him to add weight to the nose to balance it out. I have found this to be true for my 1/5 waco also using a q35.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47011.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	582606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55204.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	582607  
Old 12-23-2006, 08:31 PM
flyguy888

I finally finished my wing saddle fillets. I am posting the pictures here for others to look at. They are not scale, but then my 1/5 Pica waco aint really scale anyway. Its just a big fun flyer that I wanted to look good. I appreciate all the info I received from this forum in helping me to complete them.
search term: Pica Waco wing fillets

Name:	Lj21934.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	582612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69687.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	582613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57240.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	582614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp38821.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	582615  
Old 12-24-2006, 08:15 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: ronj10

I am posting this for those who may use this idea for help or to thier advantage. If you do not like it , keep your flapper shut. I am posting this to help others, not to invite critisism[:-].
Anyway, I have often bought and sold built aircraft and was stymied by the tail feathers. They made me use big boxes and I always had to ship greyhound bus. I built this waco with the option of being able to remove the tail feathers. They are mounted using (4) 4-40 SHCS into brass threaded wood inserts that are screwed into hardwood blocks. Once bolted down that tail aint going anywhere.
Ron,

That looks like a good idea. One thing though... I'm the only old Grouch allowed to preach in here. No one is going to criticize anyone's idea's or practices (long as they are safe) How about posting some more of your ideas. I may want to incorperate some of them on the next one. The 25% version will have some tail surfaces that are bigger than the wings on some models.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-24-2006, 08:55 AM
flyguy888

One really nice thing I discovered by accident. In the pic you notice a 3/8 plywould board on my upper wing struts. I mounted it so I could do the mig/tig welding on the struts without burning the wing. Turns out it was also the nicest thing to keep on the fuse while I am horsing it around into many different positions. It keeps the struts from getting bent out of place during all the fuse work. It is the main thing I grab onto to for lifting it, turning it, and handling it and this saves on wear and tear to what I normally would be grabbing onto. It allows a nice foundation for setting the fuse upside down or on its side. This was a big model for me and that board ending up being a nice helper.
This may be a common idea but I wouldnt know that. I do not get into other peoples workshops. I'm still smarting over that spackle tip. Cripes, makes me wonder what else I dont know.

If you love to build you have to pay the price

Waco Brotherhood#7
Old 12-24-2006, 09:23 AM
Jim Henley

Ron,
Jim here from Omaha, I have gotten the wheel pants glassed and the fillet work around the top of the L.G. struts roughed out.
Mounting a plate on the cabanes is a great idea. I have a Great Planes Super Stearman and the kit comes with a "carrying handle"
that bolts to the cabanes. It work great when assembling the plane during the initial assembly and at the field. I think I'll build one for the WACO, as well.
This is a great thread, welcome aboard.
Jim

Name:	Hf10367.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	582855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21232.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	582856  
Old 12-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Stickbuilder

Jim,

"Tink", (the little woman) says to tell you that she likes your counter tops and cabinets.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Jim Henley

Bill,
Tell "Tink" thanks, from M. E. (my wonderful wife) we like 'em too.
Jim
Old 12-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Jim Henley

I understand from different posts on this thread that there is a certain amount of dry fitting that one must do.
I suppose it is to help one keep his or her sanity.
However If I were a sane person I wouldn't be here! Anyway Here's the latest photo.
Jim

Name:	Us54385.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	583108  
Old 12-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Jim Henley

I understand from different posts on this thread that there is a certain amount of dry fitting that one must do.
I suppose it is to help one keep his or her sanity.
However If I were a sane person I wouldn't be here! Anyway Here's the latest photo.
Jim
I wish my new build was where yours is.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

By the way, Someone's Little Daughter wanted to see better photos of Tinkerbell, so here are a few.

I want to take this opportunity to wish all of you and your families the most Joyous Christmas ever. Bill, "Tink" and Luk Luk

Name:	Mj24727.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	583190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18803.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	583191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78014.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	583192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44850.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	583193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kw18046.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	583194  
Old 12-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Jim Henley

That is one beautiful airplane ! Best wishes to you and yours.
Jim & M.E.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:48 PM
Nightstalker

Bill - Thanks a million! If it wasn't for the fact that Santa is on short final into the Arizona desert right now, I'd go wake her up to see these. She and her Niece will definitely get a kick out of these photos in the AM. Beatiful job - Bravo Zulu! Who says 'Ol Army NCO's and Navy NCO's can't get along? Problem is though... they're going to want me to build one! ARMY guys can't even spell WACO, let alone build one!

Merry Christmas to you and yours Bill.

Todd Ewing
Old 12-24-2006, 10:49 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

EVERYBODY

I WANT TO TAKE THIS OPPURTUNITY,TO WISH EVERYONE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS

GEORGE
WACO Brotherhood # 5
Old 12-25-2006, 12:56 AM
bart5495

Hi Bill: One question on the Nitrate dope coats. Do you lay it on with a brush or do you spray it on.
Merry Christmas
Doug
Old 12-25-2006, 05:29 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: bart5495

Hi Bill: One question on the Nitrate dope coats. Do you lay it on with a brush or do you spray it on.
Merry Christmas
Doug
Doug,

I used a 1" $0.59 throw away brush (called a chip brush by some) that I got at Lowes. It does a very good job of applying thinned dope, and sanded between coats with 400 wet or dry. After about 3 coats, hold the panel up to the light, and you will see any pin holes or voids, and you can spot them in. If you miss any spots, you can easily find them when you apply the primer. It will look like you shot that spot with a shotgun. (don't ask how I know) Just thin the dope 50/50 using automotive lacquer thinner, and everything works well. Merry Christmas.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-25-2006, 05:38 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Nightstalker

Bill - Thanks a million! If it wasn't for the fact that Santa is on short final into the Arizona desert right now, I'd go wake her up to see these. She and her Niece will definitely get a kick out of these photos in the AM. Beatiful job - Bravo Zulu! Who says 'Ol Army NCO's and Navy NCO's can't get along? Problem is though... they're going to want me to build one! ARMY guys can't even spell WACO, let alone build one!

Merry Christmas to you and yours Bill.

Todd Ewing
Todd,

Cox has the ARF of this one out now, so you can't use that as an excuse.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Old 12-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Nightstalker

Well... Army guys can't spell ARF either. But what I will likely do is build one from reduced plans to about the size of say a Ken Willard Scoolgirl bipe (remember those ?). A little 32 - 36 inch 1/2A job. A "mini" WACO YMF if you will. I'll paint it Army Special Ops black and fly it only at night, blacked out, low level, in undisclosed regions of the world. Yeah, rockets, mini guns... There goes that Nightstalker mentality again... (www.nightstalkers.com) my old unit in the 80's and 90's.

Haven't shown the pics to the li'l ones yet, but I will here later. They're reved up like it's Christmas or something.

Merry Chrismas

Todd
Old 12-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Stickbuilder

Gee, I can't imagine why... [8D]

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-25-2006, 02:31 PM
HarryJ
My Feedback: (98)

Todd, if it's a smaller one you want take a look at the new Knagke ARF's. http://www.kangkeusa.com/
They have a 1/7 scale UPF with 51" w/s. Great looking little plane and it can be transported in one piece.

Harry
Old 12-25-2006, 02:31 PM
gwulle

Bill;
I went over to the Hobby Lobby site and gave up trying to find the instrument panels. I looked under evert heading I could think off. Help me out pards.

Gaines
Old 12-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: gwulle

Bill;
I went over to the Hobby Lobby site and gave up trying to find the instrument panels. I looked under evert heading I could think off. Help me out pards.

Gaines
Who let the ARF guy in here?

Okay, here it is...www.hobby-lobby.com is the address. When the website opens, there is a place for you to type the item that you want to search. just type in instruments, hit the search bar, and the page with all the instruments opens up as if by magic. Select the 1/5th scale item, and you will see the beautiful instruments that they offer.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-25-2006, 05:50 PM
gwulle

Alright smart guy. You set me up !!!(LOL) Invite me in and then sucker punch me(LOL). I found the sight,it's not the same one I was on,they must have more than one sight. Which instruments did you order. I am doing this blind,because I haven't seen the cockpit of a scale Waco. And by the way,by the time I get through with this project it will be anything other than a ARF.

Gaines
Old 12-25-2006, 06:36 PM
pimmnz

Bit like this.
Evan.

Name:	Vs55757.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	583557  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.