Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Australian thread

Old 12-20-2006, 05:14 PM
maiden-crash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Australian thread

PS - I think we can officially declare this thread back on target...
About time too, this is a great thread and it is very helpful to everyone.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:31 PM
maiden-crash

I think (thanks to ozrcboy) I will get the swallow advance 2 (ac/dc) version. It costs a fair bit more than the normal swallow but atleast I wont have to worry about draining the car battery One thing though do any of you here not balance your batteries?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68989.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	580888  
Old 12-20-2006, 09:51 PM
bleary

I balance mine every charge,but I am also pretty hard on them,so it is good insurance I think.Regarding the Perth shops,yes I use Perth RC probably the most,but tend to drop into all of them at some stage looking for that must have little bit or somesuch.I also shop online a fair bit,both here and in Asia and in the States.Modelflight in Adelaide have a great website and service,and ebay can also be good sometimes.
In fact although I know most guys allready do it,lets post links of any bargains we see,or any new shops springing up for all to share.[link=http://www.rcozstyle.com/catalogue/]Rc OZ Style[/link] is a new one for me and seems to have ok prices on the Hyperion lipos,which are apparently pretty good.
Regarding the nose up on the Funjet under high power setups,this is much more apparent with the Stryker,the Funjet has a cleaner(well it was cleaner..[:@]) airframe,and seems to respond to thrustline change better than most.I think I can dial most of it out,it was well on the way before the tree incident...I set it up with a little up on the elevons for safety,and I think I will take this out,launches are no drama really.I could mix in a little down at WOT,but that will be a last resort if nothing else works,I am trying to keep the drag to a minimum.The FJ has a set screw that one can minutely adjust the thrustline with,so a little more finetuning is in order(away from that bloody tree! )
I certainly hear what you are saying tho.
Cheers lads,
Bleary.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:05 AM
drunkenbushman

Whats an alternative to using my car battery?

I have the Origional swallow charger.

Cheers
Old 12-21-2006, 03:26 AM
maiden-crash

You can buy a power supply at modelflight, I think its 90 dollars.

Man, I cant get the e-flite brio 10 outta my head, soon I can get a job and MAY buy it. dont think my parents would be happy if they found out I already want a new plane[&:] The plane is fairly expensive but it is beautiful and the rcu video of it is amazing. fastest roll rate I have ever witnessed[X(] The parts wont come in cheap though, 40 amp esc, minimum 20 c lipo ( 16 c with 20 c burst if you dont go crazy on throttle) yet things will still be on border line.

The plane has a all up weight of 2.1 pounds. With the eflite power ten motor a 2100 mah 3s lipo battery witha 16 c rating will run 33. 3 amps and the motor constant is 30 amps, 20c burst with a 2100 mah battery is 42 amps and burst rating on the power ten motor is 38 amps. Esc, battery and motor would be hot at the end of each flight. That means Id have to fly around half throttle most of the time. The motor with the right prop (forget which one, i think apc 11x 4) will get roughly 150 watts per pound = 2.1 pounds x 150watts = 315 watts constant with 385 watt burst[X(] Now thats power. Now this is noting the lipo is roughly 10 volts but at peak when it is at 12 volts the motor could reach 400 watts. That should considering the weight give it plenty of power. Does that make sense Now I just gotta wait to be old enough to get a job
Old 12-21-2006, 06:22 AM
bleary

Ok here it is MC,give me a chance in the next couple of days,and I will get it to you.
The drivetrain for the Phoenix,and a few other bits and bobs.
If you dont want or need the trans and Rx(skysport 36mhz 4 channel,including Rx) please pass on to one of the other lads.
Cheers,
Bleary.

Name:	Wu60843.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	581203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90643.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	581204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45515.jpg
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	581205  
Old 12-21-2006, 06:56 AM
sama

Looka great, we should fly ours together some time.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:57 AM
sama

You are using the same transmitter as i am. What freq is it?
Old 12-21-2006, 05:27 PM
maiden-crash

Thats Awesome! Thank you so much bleary! I think I will need the rx but I'll ask dave if he needs the tx. Thank you so much bleary!
Old 12-21-2006, 07:35 PM
bleary

Sama I use a JR max 66,that one come with a RTF I bought onetime,the Cub I think.I have never used it so no Guarentee etc.
Bleary
Old 12-21-2006, 10:21 PM
sama

Well im off to Albany again for christmas so I will check back next year, oh and by the way since i subsribed to the thread my email inbox is on 1109 [X(][X(][X(]
Old 12-22-2006, 05:31 PM
ozrcboy

A mate and I had an interesting incident yesterday - he was flying his Electrafun XP, I was trying to chase him down in my Zero - hard to do because he was running a 9.6 v pack and the EF is fast already. However, I had my newly retimed brushed engine, and so was really keen to see if I could keep up with him (which more or less couldn't although the zero was flyign quickly), but I was much more aerobatic.

Anyway, at some stage I turned inside him, he came up behind and we had a little midair collision. He seemed to just contact the rudder and flew on, but the zero was immediatelly stricken - three seconds later the propeller attached to my carefully timed engine stopped spinning - fortunately I had every other control and so I made a reasonable fist of a dead stick landing.

I didn't understand how the contact on the rudder had stopped the engine, until my mate landed the EF and we found a 3 inch slash through its wing - like a scalpel. When I got home I retimed the engine and got her running again - in fact I think I found a slightly better timing point so all's well that ends well...

Hope everyone has a good christmas and enjoys whatever toys their parents/significant others have got for them.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:38 PM
maiden-crash

Merry Christmas to you to Ozrcboy, to everyone for that matter. Ill be at adelaide for Christmas too and I think I'll be leaving in a few days. ill be bringing my stryker too If my parent let me. Hopefully the wheather will be better there than here...
Old 12-22-2006, 10:44 PM
dabvid

2 more days till electrafun yay, cantwait to maiden it with you maiden. merry christmas to everyone.
regards,
dave
p.s-maiden i would really appreciate the tx seenas it is not 27mhz like the electrafun one but if u want to keep it thats cool. see u prob on boxing day to maiden the ef.
merry christmas again guys
Old 12-23-2006, 02:32 AM
maiden-crash

Hey Dave

Sorry but Im leaving for Adeleaide tomorrow (unexpected) If you decide to maiden it yourself good luck and have a ball. If you decide to wait for me (ill only be 4 or 5 days things may go alittle smoother but its up to you. Today is the last day I can talk on here for a week. Anyway, merry Christmas everyone and enjoy your presents ( wonder what santa bought ya's). happy holidays and safe driving...

Old 12-24-2006, 12:07 AM
smalltime0

well have only 1 more day for EF flying...

I have two spare 9.6v battery packs (Ni CADs) does anybody know if these can work in the electrafun?
Old 12-24-2006, 01:10 AM
dabvid

smallltime: they will work just as long as they have the same connectorsa, i am the same page as you mate i have just one day and i have a spare 7-cell1000mah & 8cell650mah nimh batterys and they will work just fine as well.
good luck mate and merry christmas to everyone, hope you all get somethin nice.
regards,
'dave
Old 12-24-2006, 01:46 AM
digitalimages

Hi again,
Well I hope you all do have fun flying your EF's !! Clovus very kindly called in this morning but it was too windy
I'll be out either tomorow or Tuesday (most likely day) to fly mine, on my own ! However, I've had enough pointers
from Clovus so I feel more confident now !! Good luck to you all and have a great Christmas Day !!

Old 12-24-2006, 02:04 AM
dabvid

thanks digital images, good luck to you too! merry christmas everyone.
regards,
dave
Old 12-24-2006, 09:18 PM
smalltime0

well maidened my EF, wind kept hitting the wing when i did a roll takeoff (cross wind) so i threw it into the ind, it flew well plenty of power when it started getting near the school, brought it around, nice and easy, when it got close top the cricket nets (easily avoided with up elavtor) when it got near a tree, flew over it, close to road flew back, applied sharp rudder to miss the tree again so it did a barrel roll? the EF is capable of barrel rolling with the rudder in light wind! well it barrel rolled attack the tree and, well it lost...

first wing has chunks missing, the prop fell off (but its fine) and the elevator is destroyed, luckily the EF comes with spare parts so i will be fine.

Very fun even if flight lasted 1 minute (moving to bigger oval next).
Old 12-24-2006, 11:35 PM
smalltime0

ok put spare wing and tail on, when i realised i didnt have the tail wheel, so i flew it without wheels (i found the tail when i went back to the tree). I found the problem on my maiden was that the planes was far more responsive and powerful than what i expected, so i flew at 3/4 throttle and alot gentler than before when the gust of wind came back, full thorttle to get back height, moving too fast had to do a quick turn to avoid trees and football goals when another gust of wind flips the plane causing the wing to hit the propeller ripping a hole in it (im repairing the second wing now). So now im gonna be more cautious and change ovals to one thats in a ditch to avoid the sudden gusts of wind.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:59 AM
cad13

Hey smalltime Im in perth where do u fly?

Im in the foothills sometimes fly at local school oval off Abernethy Rd though that oval is rough not cut regularly
Old 12-25-2006, 08:05 AM
smalltime0

well im in woodvale currently flying at the local primary school oval, but probably going to change my oval to a much larger, better mowed soccer oval that has bush nearby that shelters it from wind
Old 12-25-2006, 05:18 PM
ozrcboy

Heh smalltime - sorry to hear your maiden didn't go exactly to plan, but I can see you are learning from each one so keep at it and pretty soon you will have the ef flying full throttle nap of the earth 8-)

On these flights I might suggest put enough altitude on the EF so that things like goal posts and trees aren't really a problem. You'll often hear people talk about an altitude of 3 mistakes high - for the EF that somewhere around 40-50 metres in my opinion. Having altitude will give you time to orient yourself with controls and fly a nice lazy circuit without stressing about the items that attract model aircraft (goal posts, trees, light posts - my EF ended up in a chainlink fence once when a landing run took longer than I planned).

If you made the EF Barrel roll I'm super impressed and jealous! There are only two sure ways to roll the EF to my knowledge - one is dive for speed then simultaneous up elevator and full rudder. The other is to loop her and at the top of the loop (when she is inverted and horiztontal to the ground) go zero elevator and full rudder.

My better half gave me a windrider ele-bee for xmas - is a EPP foam flying wing with 400 class brushed motor (direct drive). Not sure what battery I am going to use - she got me a little GWS 300 ESC so I can't put too much juice through her (I had slope soaring in mind anyhow).

Here's a picture - not of mine:

Name:	Hf99678.gif
Views:	4
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	583541  
Old 12-25-2006, 08:47 PM
smalltime0

ozrcboy my problem is the oval i think, its very small to gaining altitude is hard. Today im going to try that new oval, hopefully it would work better... Believe me barell rolling the ef is not something to be jealous about, its part of the reason i hard my first crash... It looked really cool on tape though.
Here are 2 pictures of the EF i took after its maiden barell-roll-tree-attack

Name:	Wu61220.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	583596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72913.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	583597  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.