Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

aileron trainer

Old 12-18-2006, 12:06 AM
dabvid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aileron trainer

hi all i was just wondering about what a good aileron trainer would be once i have mastered my electrafun that i am getting for chrictmas. all help appreciated.
regards,
dave
Old 12-18-2006, 06:21 AM
smalltime0

Default RE: aileron trainer

what a co-incidence, i too am getting an electrafun for christmas and was wondering what to get from there

personally im thinking of getting an extrafun XL (cause its cheap and comes with LiPo as stock) or some sort of warbird (if i have money and comfortable flying)
Old 12-19-2006, 06:58 AM
schuh007

id say try a high wing first like a cessna 182
Old 12-19-2006, 07:22 AM
patnchris

GWS E-Starter.....It flys nice and slow, in it's stock form. It's cheap...and can be easily modified later on. Even if you crash it, beyond repair, you can buy another for around $40.....Pat
Old 12-19-2006, 01:47 PM
The Hedgehog

I have a begin-air for sale... good aileron trainers, pm me if interested, plus I have 2 sets of repair parts for practically everything, ill put it up on the marketplace asap.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:10 PM
papoolguy

I own a begin-air that was my very first plane......very stable....good power for a stock motor.....easy to learn to fly w/ airerons. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn to fly as an aileron trainer. Also......it's very easy to repair when....not if....you crash!
Old 12-20-2006, 02:24 AM
dabvid

hey guys does anyone think that the world models cessna ep would be a good aileron plane after the electrafun. here is the site for the rcu review http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=591 .
by the way thanks for all the help guys, sorry cant buy the plane of you cause i live on the other side of the world......Australia.
regards,
dave
Old 12-20-2006, 06:26 AM
foreverNight

I dont know if the Sky Scooter II is still available but, it was an excellent trainer for me.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:01 PM
scoooper

Get a slow stick an put some alerons on her!! probly the easyist way to learn 4 CH, The e-starter's a good choice an a GREAT flyer, the flotes are only ten bucks! your bub, scoooper
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42768.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	583201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86495.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	583202   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27184.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	583203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys50369.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	583204   Click image for larger version

Name:	It99149.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	583205  
Old 12-24-2006, 11:33 PM
divergoff

Smalltime, I was in your boat not too long ago and went with a warbird, the eflite p47. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT!!! On my first flight it went into a tree and the second the ground. I was able to fly it the third time around, after rebuilding it twice, no fun or cheap. If I had it to do over, I would go for a high wing trainer, like the begin air. Is is possible to go straight to the warbird, yea, but only if you have extra money to kill and time. Neither of which I had so my P-47 sat in the basement for a few months till I could get parts for her. That just my two cents.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:43 AM
balsa breaker

I second the Skyscooter . was my very first plane of any sort and it took enough damage to teach me and my cousin to fly.Pretty cheap too and 5min epoxy will fix it faster than you can charge the battry.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:52 AM
smalltime0

ORIGINAL: divergoff

Smalltime, I was in your boat not too long ago and went with a warbird, the eflite p47. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT!!! On my first flight it went into a tree and the second the ground. I was able to fly it the third time around, after rebuilding it twice, no fun or cheap. If I had it to do over, I would go for a high wing trainer, like the begin air. Is is possible to go straight to the warbird, yea, but only if you have extra money to kill and time. Neither of which I had so my P-47 sat in the basement for a few months till I could get parts for her. That just my two cents.
thanks for the advice divergoff. I was looking at the warbirds for their power as im in perth (one of the windyest cities in the world (3rd i think)) and their looks. However my friend also had trouble with his venom warbird and instead got the aerobird thing. i think i might go with the aerobird swift if its available.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:28 PM
ronrico418

vb
Old 01-20-2007, 10:10 PM
blueprint012

like some people pointed out earlier i highly recommend the Parkflyers.com Begin-Air.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:44 PM
ozrcboy

Hi smalltime,

If you get a warbird as your second plane expect to crash it. That being said, they wont necessarily be fatal crashes. The GWS Warbirds are nice and cheap, reasonably tough, and if you put enough power into them fly quite well in pretty strong winds. I flew my Zero in 20-30kmph winds the other day running her on a brushed 400 engine/gearbox, and 3s800mAh battery. If you fly your GWS Warbird on a 2s in winds you have a disaster waiting to happen.

They are tricky to master, they require constant supervision whilst in the air, are difficult to land (I must have busted 4 or 5 props before I figured it out), and there are lots of extra problems that aren't necessarily apparent - like how easy it is to lose perspective on a plane that is painted in camoflague. That being said, if you are reasonably confident you can put a plane down without touching a wing tip and can flare nicely, will fly with your rates well down whilst you figure out how flickable they are, and will take your time before attempting inverted flight 10 metres of the ground you might just be okay. The good news is that at $90 or so the GWS Warbirds are nice n cheap.

If you sometimes lose perspective on your trainer, can't get her down without sometimes touching a wing tip, don't understand how to flare your plane properly (throttle controls rate of descent, elevator controls airspeed), or even just know that your mind wonders whilst pushing your trainer around the sky then perhaps no warbird for you - yet. However, if you think you are okay on those things perhaps you can make the jump.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:39 AM
dingfixer

Check the extrafun - it was my 2nd plane after an aerobird extreme (flown for over a year!). The extrafun is a Great value for an all in pack with a lipo. Although if you are egonna keep going maybe consider a dedicated radio (JR propo max 66 works for me!) and plane kit (GWS Formosa, Estarter, some of the above mentioned too)

Basically you should be using the ailerons to bank and then dial some up elevator to hook the turn.

Intitially I made the mistake of trying to use the rudder to turn - in a 4 channel plane you actually tend to fly mostly on elvator and aeileron - ironically prety much the same skills you would use on a 3 ch plane.

The elevator should run off the left stick, the aileron (and throttle !!!his took me some gettting used to) off the right.

The rudder will run of the left stick too - side to side - but you wont need to use it much (feel free to step in on this call stunt pilots) .

Ironically i have progressed backwards to a dedicated radio on a slow stick with a (super qiuet and punchy) brushless motor - the more i fly the more i like hover and glide over ADD park busting speed flying. My SS is my plane of choice right now - but there are hordes of Stryker pilots that see things differently - it would appear that the stryker on mild settings and low throttle runs could also be a wicked next plane - apparently she slow flys pretty well too.

Hope this menu helps!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:19 PM
RickAvery

Space scooters are also very friendly aileron trainers. Not as much so as Sky scooters, but I don't think Sky scooters are avaliable any more. Good luck.
Rick
Old 01-28-2007, 05:58 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I took my new Aerobird Swift out for its maiden flight.
http://www.hobbyzonesports.com/Produ...ProdID=HBZ7200

Wind was near zero. It was near dusk so the light was not the best.

I can definitely endorse this as an excellent flying plane for a first time aileron plane for someone who has prior experience.

While it could be a first plane, IF you have help, but for a self trainer, I think I like the Aerobird Challenger and the HZ Super Cub, or the T-Hawk or the Easy Star much better as they are more self correcting. If you put the Swift into a bank it tends to hold the bank but will not level out as quickly as the Challenger or the Super Cub or the T-Hawkstay in that bank. That makes it very predictable but not as forgiving of new pilot errors as the other.

Right out of the box, with no adjustments, it flew right out of my hand, climbed nicely and fly beautifully. Banks were smooth and easy. The plane rolled, though they were not very axial, but that could have been me as I am not much of an aerobatic pilot. I was able to roll into inverted flight and hold it there with a little up elevator.

The plane has a nice level glide, so you can turn the motor off and float around slowly. That also means it floats in nicely for a landing. It won't float as slowly as the challenger, but I would not expect it to.

I am sure that the battery was not up to full power yet. I did not find the plane as fast as I expected but I think after a few flights it will pick up speed. The brushes have probably not fully seated yet.

Looks like HobbyZone has another winner!