Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

? I don't think of a good reason to do so, Only a few reasons as why I sWhy use 2 RX's in Big Birds?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

? I don't think of a good reason to do so, Only a few reasons as why I sWhy use 2 RX's in Big Birds?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 11:06 AM
shakes268

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ? I don't think of a good reason to do so, Only a few reasons as why I sWhy use 2 RX's in Big Birds?

ORIGINAL: bodywerks

ORIGINAL: shakes268

ORIGINAL: bodywerks

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

After this one someone can start a thread about PCM Vs. PPM and after that we can go to the ever popular... Thumbs Vs. Fingers debate.

LOL! what about "To g - a - y tray, or not to g - a - y tray?"!
Whats wrong with trays?
Nothing, actually. It is just a term coined by non-tray users, I have little room to talk as I fly stick-mode 4 (thr, ail on left and rudd, elev on right) and it is so rare that it has been coined with my name, "Stick-mode-Nick". I only know of one pro pilot that flies like that (Ivan Kristiansen)and pretty much no one else...
Oh, I'm a non-tray user and I've never felt the need to associate someone's use of a tray with sexual preference.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:30 PM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: ? I don't think of a good reason to do so, Only a few reasons as why I sWhy use 2 RX's in Big Birds?

One receiver per channel and two battery packs per receiver, it adds some weight but it's a small price to pay in the name of redundancy. I also run two switches in parallel per battery pack for redundancy. I have been thinking of a hollow crankshaft for my da 150 to run a shaft to an electric motor in case my DA quits.

Albert
Old 12-27-2006, 07:25 PM
bzyguy01

Well I can see why I got so many Pm's about this topic. Sifting through all the wise cracks.....I came to my own conclusion. One good PCM RX (I FLY Super9CAP), Clean proper install mounted in foam to help with vibration, Two Battery packs run parallel, One switch and carefull attention to maintenence. I just think that 2 receivers increase the possability of error and I think if one was to fail regardless the cause...I might be going in anyhow, especially if the bad rx fails to failsafe to center.

Thank you all very much for the input.
Regards
Shayne Williams
Old 12-28-2006, 03:14 AM
aerowiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a rx die on me two weeks ago. guess what, that other rx i stupidly installed saved my 35%yak. use one rx, its your plane.

aerowiz
Old 12-28-2006, 08:42 AM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

I just think that 2 receivers increase the possability of error and I think if one was to fail regardless the cause...I might be going in anyhow, especially if the bad rx fails to failsafe to center.
While I am not holding a firm stance on this either way, especially with the coming 2.4 GHz tech, the above statement is false. I've seen it done and it was no big deal at all.

On your flight sim try setting control deflection on the left side of the plane to 0 degrees and the right side to your normal throws. The plane is perfectly flyable on 1 RX. A little mushy, but very flyable. As for the motor, use a throttle servo on one RX and a choke on the other. If the throttle servo or RX quits fly yourself to a place you know you can dead-stick from and kill with throttle. You can try that on the sim too.

For now I'm sticking with 2 RX on my 35% and 40%, but I may go to an XPS 10 ch and a power expander when they are released.

Oh yeah, if you are worried about your motor quitting buy a DA
Old 12-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Extra300user

In Canada we call that Mode 1 (ail and Th left stick and rud/ele right)

I tried Mode 1 on a buddy box and did not like it ...I think it would be difficult to change over from Mode 2...I do use a tray and don't like flying thumbs ...the tray provides stability and control that I do not have with out a tray...there are manovers that I am not able to do when flying thumbs like knife edge/snap roll/knife edge ...
Old 12-29-2006, 01:19 AM
bzyguy01

Sillyness,
I think you might have misread my statement or Projection rather....I said if one receiver fails to return to center if it goes BAD.....If a RX goes BAD there is no guarantee that it will go to failsafe mode (since it went BAD) and put those servos hooked up to that receiver to center.....They might actually go full throw and stay there??? That would be no more flyable than that one RX by itself in the plane. But I understand your point and in a perfect world it would be a definate insurance policy. But with my experience (which is very little) when things fail during use they tend to do the unthinkable....
ORIGINAL: sillyness

I just think that 2 receivers increase the possability of error and I think if one was to fail regardless the cause...I might be going in anyhow, especially if the bad rx fails to failsafe to center.
While I am not holding a firm stance on this either way, especially with the coming 2.4 GHz tech, the above statement is false. I've seen it done and it was no big deal at all.

On your flight sim try setting control deflection on the left side of the plane to 0 degrees and the right side to your normal throws. The plane is perfectly flyable on 1 RX. A little mushy, but very flyable. As for the motor, use a throttle servo on one RX and a choke on the other. If the throttle servo or RX quits fly yourself to a place you know you can dead-stick from and kill with throttle. You can try that on the sim too.

For now I'm sticking with 2 RX on my 35% and 40%, but I may go to an XPS 10 ch and a power expander when they are released.

Oh yeah, if you are worried about your motor quitting buy a DA
Old 12-29-2006, 01:24 AM
bzyguy01

Aerowiz,
You said one rx died, Please explain "DIE" Did it actually die to where it would not function in conjunction with the TX or did it die which means it let the smoke out and fried and the servo's went haywire, or did it just stop responding like a loss of signal such as a poor crystal or such and go to failsafe zero center settings. Because this all makes a difference?
ORIGINAL: aerowiz

i had a rx die on me two weeks ago. guess what, that other rx i stupidly installed saved my 35%yak. use one rx, its your plane.

aerowiz

OH YEAH! and if the engine dies during flight I'll just flip my 007 switch which activates my Hacker A60 with a one way berring hooked up to a mini cog belt. Then Maybee I'll lay a grease slick on the runway with my other 007 switch so the DA's get all dirty and greasy on takeoff....
Old 12-29-2006, 08:00 AM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Hi

Well lot's of Posts from prior Threads on this subject perhaps you should do a search and see what pops up on RCU for dual receiver's.

My 2 cents is 2 receiver's are old school. I have not had a receiver failure in many years.

Ian
Old 12-29-2006, 11:41 AM
t_driver
My Feedback: (43)

Mode 4 Thats funny ***** ...Ive only ever heard it called Mode 1 . When i go out flyin im going to ask everyboby i see if thay are flyin Mode 4 and see what kind of looks i get .....
Old 12-29-2006, 06:22 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

bzyguy01,

My bad... I missed a word in your quote, even though I quoted it! You're absolutely right.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:36 PM
aerowiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: bzyguy01

Aerowiz,
You said one rx died, Please explain "DIE" Did it actually die to where it would not function in conjunction with the TX or did it die which means it let the smoke out and fried and the servo's went haywire, or did it just stop responding like a loss of signal such as a poor crystal or such and go to failsafe zero center settings. Because this all makes a difference?
[quote]ORIGINAL: aerowiz

my plane went a bit sluggish so i landed it . the lh side wasnt responding to anything. the servos were still getting power and they went to their servo programmed failsafe positions. my first rx malfunction in 25 years.

aerowiz