Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Running two brushless motors from one ESC

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 11:09 PM
guru101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running two brushless motors from one ESC

Hi all, I know this has probably already been covered elswhere but, Can anyone tell me a way of running two brushless motors from the one brushless ESC? I have set up my small twin motor plane to run brushless electrics and have limited space inside the fuselage, i need to know if i can get the job done with one esc to both motors. Please help me out all you electronic gurus out there.

Ta guru101
Old 10-17-2006, 03:11 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Running two brushless motors from one ESC

The question was popped here and I think I understand the answer and why. Pretty good explanation. Short answer is No.

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/s...d.php?t=226267
Old 10-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Darrell B.

A friend of mine tried this, and burned up both of the motors, and the ESC has never been the same.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:30 PM
hwy2hll

i have beeen trying to run two motors on one esc in a zagi and i let the smoke out of my cc 80 a esc im going to try 2 now but wonder if the plane will fly straight?
Old 01-11-2007, 05:04 PM
PaulCourt

Very bad idea - dont do it !

Brushless ESC's are not like the brushed ones, brushed controllers are dumb and just output pulses to spin the motor(s).

Brushless controllers are active. they listen to the motor so that they can time the next pulse - this is how they work. if you have two motors the timing will go out and you will have a fire !

if you want two motors, use two controllers and parallel the radio wires and battery wires, then disable one of the controllers BECs.

Courty

Old 01-23-2007, 11:57 PM
praymond

I have two models that I run twin cd type motors off of one ESC. They are DIY strong rc kits, one 19T pair and one 16T pair, I use a thunderbird 9 esc on both set ups. The motor amp draw has to be half the esc raing or less, and the motors have to be closely matched. They both start up fine, run in sync, and stop and start in the air just fine. As long as the motors are closely matched the esc will have no problem controling them. Here's a vid of a profile P38, wt 15oz, flying on a 1320 2Cell lipo.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598752
Old 10-22-2010, 07:00 PM
basketcase118

Iam building a B 29. I picked out the motors, 80 to 100A. I have to turn a 18.5" to 19" 4 blade propeller. it will have a wingspan of 169". All electric, Is there a board out there that can distribute a signal equally to the esc`s
Old 10-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Dr Kiwi

ORIGINAL: basketcase118

Iam building a B 29. I picked out the motors, 80 to 100A. I have to turn a 18.5'' to 19'' 4 blade propeller. it will have a wingspan of 169''. All electric, Is there a board out there that can distribute a signal equally to the esc`s
A simple Y-connector joining the two ESCs to the Rx throttle channel should be all you need. [just remember to sever the power wire (red) from one of the ESCs].
Old 08-23-2011, 12:18 AM
sailorj

I'm trying this with a truck and i get how to do this with a Y conector but why do you have to cut the red wire.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:21 AM
Dr Kiwi

In a nutshell: You want power from only one source, not from two conflicting sources at the same time.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:54 AM
sailorj

just double checking before i blow something up. the red wire you have to cut is one of the three between the ESC and thereceiver and it doesn't matter which ESC

thanks heaps
Old 08-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Dr Kiwi

A better way is to get a short (75mm) servo extension lead, and cut the red wire on that... then both your ESCs remain pristine, ready to be used in future project.