Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Help me convert this power supply

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Help me convert this power supply

Old 01-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me convert this power supply

I found this PC power supply and it seemed perfect for conversion to use with my chargers. Every conversion of a PC power supply however is for a standard AT or ATX power supply. Will this one work? Can I just put a 10 ohm 10 watt resistor across the gnd & +5?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85396.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	589234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82408.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	589235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19220.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	589236  
Old 01-02-2007, 08:35 PM
exeter_acres

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help me convert this power supply

doesn't look like you need to do anything..... the taps are all there....

when you turn it on, do you get voltage?
Old 01-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Ross Kean

A 10 ohm resistor will load the 5V line to half its maximum of 1 amp. The PS only is capable of 100 watts on the 12 (13)V side. THis might do it but you might need a higher resistor (20 ohm?) on the +5 to prevent overload and you will not be able to power more than a fairly conservative charging application. I would try to get a PS that is more than 125 watts. Keep in mind that this represents MAXIMUM output and may not be suitable for sustained operation at that level.

Marginal, at best.

Ross
Old 01-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Wings-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ross, It looks like it output a continuous 8 amps at 13 volts. Thats as good or better than most commercial power supply's used for our chargers. I also have a 10 amp pyramid power supply and it will certainly power any of the chargers I have. I believe the Triton and my Dymond super turbo calls for 8 to 10 amp 12 volt power supply. Are you suggesting I need something like a 20-30 amp supply?
Old 01-03-2007, 06:46 AM
Ross Kean

It all depends upon what you are planning to charge. If you are charging relatively small 2 and 3 cell (LiPo) packs, you might be OK - don't try to charge a 5S 3000 mAhr pack. Keep in mind that most of the computer power supplies are rated at somewhat higher power (i.e. 500W rather than 125 watts). I would guess that you will likely have no problems with this supply as long as you are charging less than 75 watts or so. The supply may bog down if it is run continuously at close to its maximum. It could crap out with the initial current surge when you connect the charger?? Give it a try and see if it holds its voltage and doesn't overheat for your particular charging application. Its generally pretty easy to find a cheap (i.e. free) computer PS from junked machines with greater power capability.

Ross
Old 01-04-2007, 10:53 PM
KB9STD
My Feedback: (1)

I don't think that You need to do any type of "conversion".You may have to connect the "Power OK" to ground(P4 to P3).
Old 01-10-2007, 02:10 PM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use an Astron 20 amp supply to power my Triton at home, but a 3 to 5 amp supply would probably work fine for doin single pack charging.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:26 PM
xeliman

hallo i have that psu that i want to use with my charger.but i dont know how to do it .where to put the wires that connect the supply with the charger? and where to put the 220v plug? should i need anything else to make it work? im very begginer in that thing.and something else the psu has no on off switch.that mean when i give it power it goes on?
thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60091.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	637311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80478.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	637312