Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Mosquito Retract Help..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Mosquito Retract Help..

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 02:25 PM
europatc74
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mosquito Retract Help..

Currently building the GSP Dehavilland Mosquito. Will install mechanical retracts. Plane should weigh about 11-12lbs. Wondering if anyone else has built this plane and what retracts were utilized. Thanks Dave
Old 01-16-2007, 12:54 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Mosquito Retract Help..

I haven't built that plane, but I was wondering if you couldn't use the retracts for the Top Flight DC-3? They even look sorta scale.
sam
Old 01-16-2007, 03:49 PM
cat5752
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same ARF, but I am not at that stage yet. If you go to Advanced Scale Models, the struts they have listed for a Dehavilland Comet will work very nice for a Mosquito. The Dh Comet was actually the "precursor" to the Mosquito anyway. I looked at the DC3 gear; one of the problems with it is that it wouldn't be capable of very large tires, and they wouldn't retract all the way into the nacelles. I believe you can put 4 inch tires on the Comet struts, and that would be about right, scale speaking. the other nice thing- they are only 30 dollars, then you could buy normal Robart or SpringAir or whatever, drill them out if needed, and attach these.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/190230.asp
My .02, FWIW.
Andy

From Wikipedia

Despite previous British air racing successes, culminating in 1931 in the outright win of the Schneider Trophy, there was no British plane capable of putting up a challenge over the MacPherson course with its long overland stages. The de Havilland company stepped into the breach by offering to produce a limited run of 200 mph (320 km/h) racers if three were ordered by February, 1934. The sale price of £5,000 each would by no means cover the development costs. In 1935, de Havilland suggested a high-speed bomber version of the DH.88 to the RAF, but the suggestion was rejected. (De Havilland later developed the de Havilland Mosquito along similar lines as the DH.88 for the high-speed bomber role.)
Old 01-24-2007, 08:58 PM
catboater
My Feedback: (51)

I'm building the same airplane right now. I just ordered Robarts with the Robostrut straight forked struts. Not exact scale, but then again the arf isn't exact scale either.
What are you guys using for spinners?
Old 08-26-2009, 07:02 AM
mossypilot

I have an almost-completed CMPro 73" w/span Mossy. Looks like it takes 4" spinners to look scale (3-blade). Anyone know where these might be available, please? And how about the more "round" profile used by early mark Spitfires, Lancasters and Mosquitos. The modern "sharper-nosed" spinners don't look quite right. 
Old 08-26-2009, 08:11 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

mossypilot have you checked with www.True-Turn yet the p-38 spinners might work.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Mustang spinners don't look too bad. I too used the Robart "forked" struts. Stay away from the spring down Robarts, they don't have enough power to get it back up without additional exterior springs added. The forked struts work OK, but they bend easy (ground loops are not uncommon with this aircraft). I need to make a brace to strengthen them. Anything with actual dual struts will create a large hole in the bottom. Gear doors are a lot of work, and would add weight. There is another post about the CMP mosquito with a ton of information.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22465.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1263608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72328.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1263609