Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

The BEST Smoke System

Old 01-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The BEST Smoke System

I didn't want to bias anyone, but my OWN experience with Sullivan "direct" was absolutely terrible. Unresponsive, no answers, wrong answers. LONG delay to straighten out my issue. They appear to be one of those companies that rely on their DISTRIBUTORS to make 'em look good, 'cause they ain't up to the task themselves. Sorry to say.[]
Old 01-04-2007, 10:56 PM
air mail rcu

ORIGINAL: diamondave

i wasnt bad mouthing the post office, just sullivan, still no word from them
diamondave that wasn't for you.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:12 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

ahh airmailrcu, ... i did finally hear from them, there was something clogging it up, it is supposed to be on its way back today, but they lost me a week by not finding it, or whatever they did, and aerobob, i did get alot of unreturned calls and no answers during that entire week also, kept taking my info and saying someone would get bcak to me, they never did, i had to start calling everyday until someone helped me, then they told me it was lost? not very good at all...we'll see how long it actually takes for me to get it back in my hands now...
Old 01-10-2007, 05:34 PM
N215PB

phew.....lot's of smoke in here.........I'm thinkin of getting into this smoke business, after reading all the posts I'm leaning towards a TME $99 version. I wanna use it on a 1/4 clip wing Cub with a Satio 1.2 4 stroke. Since i'm getting older and flying more like a old lady i rarely use full power.....question, will i get smoke or much of it at say 40%, i'm also a bit worried about the muffler issue.....would like to stay with original one.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:54 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This sounds like a good way to get smoked! Capt,n
ORIGINAL: NdFrSpeed

Try a 3W smoke pump,,just like the old Harris pump you cant get anymore,,no extra battery,,just plugs right in the reciever,,gets its power straight from that,,,you talk about make smoke,,,cant beat um

NdFrSpeed
Old 01-14-2007, 06:59 PM
diamondave

okay, i got my pump back and it works good, here is my problem though... i set up a mix to use the throttle and slaved it to ch5, set the curve and it worked great, got to the field and it wasnt working, after playing around i realized this: if i set it up as a pmix with a switch, then set the aux ch to null, it works until i turn the radio off, then it wont work, if i go to the aux ch and put it to a switch, turn the pump on and off, then go back to null, then my original pmix works again, i can turn it on and off with the switch and it comes on when i want to, until i turn the radio off again, then nothing unless i go back to auxch and run the pump on another switch again, then it will work until i turn the radio off again, understand what i am saying i do but what the heck is going on, it makes no sence to me what so ever??????
Old 01-14-2007, 07:23 PM
diamondave

follow up, i tried playing around, its when i turn the reciever power off, i can turn the radio on and off while the reciever is on, it still works, if i leave the radio on and turn the reciever off, then nothing, my problem is back, i thought maybe it was something with the failsafe, so i nullled that and still nothing, its like the pump resests itself during power up or something???
Old 01-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

The pump does reset itself..it needs to see a negative value for at least 5 seconds before turning on..so when you turn your rx on, you have to have the pump activated but off for at least 5 seconds..
Old 01-14-2007, 07:50 PM
diamondave

i just read that in the manual i downloaded for the pump, it says to set the subtrim to -100, that will give the negative value, i am going to try it right now...with the pmix, i guess you combine the 1st set of numbers and the atv to get it to come on when you want and how much you want? then just go up proportional from there?
Old 01-14-2007, 08:19 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the TME pump you have an adjustable "line pincher" that goes in between the pump and the muffler. Just adjust it for you thottle setting on the ground. That's what I do. Mine isn't set for optimum smoke at full throttle anymore. I hardly need full throttle on my big bipe. Making sure your battery has a constant voltage makes a difference also. That's why in the spring I'm going to run mine off of my reciever batteries that are regulated. I'm using just a 4.8 volt nicad pack now with no regulator so right from the first flight on the pump starts to see a lower voltage and in turn produces a slower pump speed. 7.4 volt receiver packs regulated to 6 volt constant will provide a nice and level, never changing voltage to the pump. Which means constant, steady speed which should make it easier to adjust the "line pincher." I hope!
ORIGINAL: N215PB

phew.....lot's of smoke in here.........I'm thinkin of getting into this smoke business, after reading all the posts I'm leaning towards a TME $99 version. I wanna use it on a 1/4 clip wing Cub with a Satio 1.2 4 stroke. Since i'm getting older and flying more like a old lady i rarely use full power.....question, will i get smoke or much of it at say 40%, i'm also a bit worried about the muffler issue.....would like to stay with original one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37143.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	598047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40818.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	598048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13428.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	598049  
Old 01-14-2007, 08:25 PM
diamondave

well that subtrim thing seemed to fix it, i can turn everything off and on and it still works, so next time flying i will try and dial it in with the mix, today i just used the slider since i couldnt figure that start up, had lots of smoke but a big mess, so i am sure i had too much flowing at some points...
Old 01-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: diamondave

i just read that in the manual i downloaded for the pump, it says to set the subtrim to -100, that will give the negative value, i am going to try it right now...with the pmix, i guess you combine the 1st set of numbers and the atv to get it to come on when you want and how much you want? then just go up proportional from there?
What I did with mine is set the 1st point to -100 and all the rest at +100..then I set the atv's as low as possible..then I went back to the pmix and started lowering the values as low as possible ..I tried to get a nice med-flow stream at the lowest possible ATV setting..If I remember. my 2nd point is somewhere around 40 and my highest is 65
Old 01-15-2007, 07:10 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

The TME Smart Smoker is the bomb.

I want to thank Jose Wales for the detailed setup on this smoke pump with the Futaba 9Cap. I got it on the first try....Good Job Jose. The smoke is Super Dry, the engine 3w-80 with Johnson side dump muffle (smoke coil), the camera is a cell phone (sorry) and the clean up is quick.

Richard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azGLc57iyfI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt9H1Ixzm_o
Old 01-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Josey Wales

COOL! Its just a lot of trial and error..same with just about all this stuff
Old 01-16-2007, 08:13 AM
wifpwcf

HI guys its been awhile but im still loving smoke, now im useing white spirets 60% & 40% deisel great out come
here are a few pics. hangs around like fog lol
cg

Name:	Us55315.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	599305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47245.jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	599306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80231.jpg
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	599307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke90467.jpg
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	599308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj65509.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	599309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hx32525.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	599310  
Old 01-16-2007, 06:22 PM
diamondave

looks good, whats white spirets and where can you get it? i ran out of the superdri so i am about to try strait deisel next time, curious about your mix though
Old 01-17-2007, 06:59 AM
wifpwcf

hi its white spirits for cleaning motor parts im in australia its called goana oil
cg
Old 01-17-2007, 07:08 PM
diamondave

aaahhh
Old 01-20-2007, 09:30 AM
diamondave

question about the sullivan pump: the manual says it can be mounted in any attitude and is certified agaisnt radio interference, has anyone mounted it sideways or inverted? how about near the reciever, like maybe right next to it? reason being i had mine on the smoke tank, which is about 8" or so aft of my cg, it changed the flying characteristics a bit more than i like, still managable, but a bit too aft imo, so after looking around the best place to put it would be right on my wing tube, maybe with foam and velcro, but my reciever is there also, and i like it there, all my extensions and everything are set, i dont want to have to move it, so can the pump be right next to the reciever?? how about if the pump was directly under the reciever, like i put the pump on the tube with foam, then more foam and the reciever on top, then velcro the enitire deal to the tube, is that pushing my luck as far as interfernece? and if it is on the tube, can it be upside down, than way if the tube rotates at all with vibration, the wieght of the pump will keep it down anyway, i am going to mess with it today so any input would be nice, thanks
Old 01-21-2007, 09:21 AM
diamondave

well i mounted it on the tube, i fogot there is a tube in the fuse the wing tube goes through, so it wont rotate, its upright, it is right next to the reciever though, bad weather today, wont be able to test it out until next weekend, i hope
Old 01-30-2007, 07:38 PM
diamondave

beauty, moving the pump made it fly way better, loved it, so far so good with the pump, gets pretty thick at full throttle, i think i can boost up my lower settings a bit, diesel doesnt seem to hang around as long, but for the 8-9$$ difference and ease of getting it, its good in my book, may try mixing some other crap in there sometime, had some great flights with it last weekend, may bring video cam next weekend...
Old 02-03-2007, 08:20 PM
diamondave

well if anyone still reads this thread, here is some pics with strait diesel, i want to make a vid as well, maybe tomorrow, someone took these and emailed them to me, i think its pretty good actually, and so far, cleaner than the superdri i used, but i didnt have the mix working right at that time, so i was way way over doing the fluid i think

Name:	Ay73838.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	613086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90612.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	613087  
Old 02-04-2007, 06:48 AM
xtdsm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

diamondave, good job bro.

please go ahead and post a vid, I too got myself the same pump and I am sure I will need your help once I am done.

thanks

Ahmed
Old 02-04-2007, 05:58 PM
diamondave

here is a vid i made today, not the best flying i have done, but you can see some smoke, strait diesel, one the 1st fly by i had turned it off, thats why it got faint really quick, i think the diesel smokes pretty good

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....a07bf717761dd3
Old 02-07-2007, 12:26 AM
69 roadrunner

Hey guys iam adding a smoke system first time iam using a three hole tank do i need to add a vent line on the third hole or do i just use the fill line thanks the runner

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.