Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

The new electric YAK 54 from Greatplanes!

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

The new electric YAK 54 from Greatplanes!

Old 01-04-2007, 02:56 PM
99mhz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The new electric YAK 54 from Greatplanes!

Wahoooo.... First flights on my Yak today and first E-plane as well.

It flies like a dream. I’m not a 3D flyer, but it’s a fun sport flyer too.

Thanks Bzyguy01 for the stab advice. I tore all the covering off and used iron on CF. I already had it glued in before I heard of the problem, so iron on is better than nothing.

I have it set up with a Park 480 1020Kv, 11x4.5 prop, and 1250mAh LiPo packs. It gets about 5 min per flight, and has OK vertical performance. I’ll probably end up getting 2100mAh packs for it just to get longer flights.

John
Old 01-04-2007, 03:25 PM
bzyguy01

99mhz,
You will see an increase in performance when you go to a larger mah like a 2100 mah as it will have a higher discharge rate on the battery. I would try a 11X7 with a 2100 and I think you will be much more impressed with the vertical for your sport flying style. The yak will also be a bit more smoother and stable with slightly heavier wingloading for your style of flying. The 3D guys like them light and nimble but weight is a freind to most sport and IMAC guys.
Bzyguy01
Old 01-04-2007, 06:20 PM
WGRoper
My Feedback: (2)

Ordered my Yak and the Rimfire 1450 with a 35A ESC today. Tower baited me with a $30 off $149 or more order, and I bit. It's backordered till the end of January (ready sometime in late Feb per Tower standards), but I've got plenty to work on between now and then.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:07 AM
BadBoy__MadMikey

hey guys. i finally got me one of these yaks yesterday. i been running over and over in my head with what motor to use. i was very set on an eflite 480 outunner. i have an brio from eflite and an extra 300 from seagull. i used in each of them an power 10 outrunner from elfite. each of these planes said you could use an 480 but the power 10 just gave great power and vertical performance. i kow the power 10 will add a little more weight but i think i'm going to use a power 10 in this yak!!! it should have sick power!!! you guys don't think it will be too much do yall??? i'm going to use 4 hitec 55's for servos, jr 6 channel micro receiver, cc 35 esc and thunder power 2100 3 cell packs!!! should be a sweet set-up. i hope to have it flying by this friday if the weather is nice here. right now texas and mid area of the country is getting ice and snow and they say it could get us here in sc by late tonight or tomorrow. so i hope it will blow out by friday or saturday morning!!!

Mikey
Old 01-17-2007, 02:12 PM
bzyguy01

I think you'll be disapointed in the 3D and slow maneuver area if you put in a Power 10. Trust me Mikey....I'm just like you and too much power is just right, However....The Power 10 is alot more wing loading weight and the plane will suffer some of its great flight characteristics with that extra weight. A 480 will have Great vertical performance and if you want even better...Get a Hacker A30 22 on just 3 cells (2070 mah 25c Tpower)Sick performance without adding too much weight! My personal experience and my 2 Cents.
ORIGINAL: BadBoy__MadMikey

hey guys. i finally got me one of these yaks yesterday. i been running over and over in my head with what motor to use. i was very set on an eflite 480 outunner. i have an brio from eflite and an extra 300 from seagull. i used in each of them an power 10 outrunner from elfite. each of these planes said you could use an 480 but the power 10 just gave great power and vertical performance. i kow the power 10 will add a little more weight but i think i'm going to use a power 10 in this yak!!! it should have sick power!!! you guys don't think it will be too much do yall??? i'm going to use 4 hitec 55's for servos, jr 6 channel micro receiver, cc 35 esc and thunder power 2100 3 cell packs!!! should be a sweet set-up. i hope to have it flying by this friday if the weather is nice here. right now texas and mid area of the country is getting ice and snow and they say it could get us here in sc by late tonight or tomorrow. so i hope it will blow out by friday or saturday morning!!!

Mikey
Old 01-17-2007, 03:02 PM
mike gruenwald

I test flew one for a friend a few weeks back. the wings were warped to high heaven, it was too heavy, and while nothing broke it sure seemed fragile. compared to my airfoilz yak it su#%!d.
I'd never buy one.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:20 PM
WGRoper

Just checked the status on my back order of the Yak from Tower. It's now saying mid-February instead of Late January. Told ya.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:45 PM
bzyguy01

Hopefully you or your freind took out the warp before assembling the plane???Or even better yet...Flying it. Unfortunatally warped wings and control surfaces are par for course with the over seas built arfs. Even the best of them like my QQ aircraft and Wild Hare products come with simple warp issues. Your Airfoilz is a profile.....Right?? How do you justify comparing a Profile fuse and a built up fuse aircraft??? Let alone the weight savings on a profil plane??? That would definatally be comparing Apples to Oranges...
Don't get me wrong Mike....This plane has Issues and they need to be tended to but for the most part...Once setup,It flies GREAT setup CORRECTLY.
ORIGINAL: mike gruenwald

I test flew one for a friend a few weeks back. the wings were warped to high heaven, it was too heavy, and while nothing broke it sure seemed fragile. compared to my airfoilz yak it su#%!d.
I'd never buy one.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:15 AM
WGRoper

Well, I got an email from Tower last night saying my backordered Yak has been shipped! I expect it to be delivered Tuesday or so. I'll let ya'll know how it looks when I, maybe they've taken steps to correct the h-stab issues.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:36 AM
bzyguy01

Wgroper,
Good deal, This plane has had alot of opinion based hits here online...In my opinion.....The plane comes out of the box as a very nice plane. I even like the covering. Personally I feel that the main wings are fine if epoxied correctly and a set of clamps are used to make sure that when the two wing halves are installed and epoxied to keep the gaps in the two halves and the supplied plate is used is fine. I also reccomend puting epoxy on the fuse and wings where they meet the fuse.
I'm glad you went up to the higher KV motor even if it is a rimfire. You should be plenty happy with the performance using a 20c 11.1 lipo in the range of a 1500 mah to a 2100 mah. I think that you should experiment with props as you are in a different altitude than Myself but this plane with the higher KV motor flew the absolute best with a 11x7 "E" APC prop. Maybee a 10x6,11x5,11x7 "E" props and just try a 11x3.8 "SF" to see for yourself...Please post your personal likings. The reason I suggested smaller props is because you will have more prop rpm than most guys and using the 11.1 lipo you might have too much amp load with the larger props.
MAKE SURE YOU ADD CF TO THE H STABB!!!!!!! This has been the only issue with four of our GP Yaks. WE fly them hard and overpower them and do violent maneuvers....Our planes are doing fine as of right now. I'm talking from experience and not "I think" as I have 51 planes right now and all are flight ready. My planes renge from a tiny 100 mph 13-15 inch wingspan foamy nemisis all the way up to a few giant scale 33-35% edges and sukoi's. The sukoi is powered with a BME 115cc 11 Horse power twin that will yank it around near like an overpowered foamy that has a 102" wide wingspan. Good luck!
Shayne
Old 01-20-2007, 10:57 PM
BadBoy__MadMikey

well i test flew mine today!!! this plane flys great!!! it tracks so straight and smooth!!! i ended up using the power 10 outrunner from eflite!!! has great power. crusing around is at one click below half throttle!!! it did take a little bit of left rudder due to all the thrust built in it!! i ened up putting the elevator servo in the tail cause i was having an cenbtering problem with it in the fuse in the middle. it was a little windy here today but my buddy and i tourque rolled the devil out of it!!! we feel that the wind had alot to do with some of the things it was doing when we were testing out 3-d things. i hadn't put cf support on the horizontal stabs when we flew it but did a very soft belnder and it locked in it even not totally flating it out. we were scared to put too much stress on the stab. but slow speed flying is wonderfull, 3-d flying is great and was main purpose i will use it for is practicing my imac manuvers and my imac freestyle routene. i love this plane!!!!!

mikey
Old 01-21-2007, 08:28 AM
DaveH2

Hey Mikey, where do you fly at? It looks like we don't live too far apart.

Dave
Old 02-08-2007, 01:08 AM
BadBoy__MadMikey

hey guys i did end up changing motors, i put an eflite 480 910kv on it. i see that they have 2 480's another with an 1100 kv. i need advise here guys i'm wanting alittle more punch will going to the the higher kv 480 give me that punch??? i'm currently running the 480 910kv with an 12x6e an cc-35 esc and tp 2100 3cell packs. i just want to know if the performance will be noticable!!! but i love the way it flys now with the lighter motor!!!

Daveh2 i live and fly here in Spartanburg. we have our own feild and club here!!!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:14 PM
bzyguy01

Higher Kv will be a better performer with the same weight that the 910 KV is.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:06 PM
aviationinfo
My Feedback: (3)

HI BZGuy:

Just finished my Yak and went with your recommendation on the motor---Hacker A30-22s. I put on the 11x7E prop and have an X-30 controller. I use a TP 2100 3-cell powerlight or super light or whatver they call it---it's a 50A max burst discharge rate in any case.

Two quick q's:

Did you say you ran the above equipment? Can you tell me your amp draw? I pulled the throttle back when it hit 45 amps so I wouldn't blow anything up. The X-30 is limited to 30 amps, I believe, and the motor to 28 or 30.

The X-30 has a default cutoff voltage for 3-cell lipos of 8.3 volts---that's considerably less than the 9 volts that TP says is the min voltage under a load. I called Hacker and they said the controller is set at that because at 9 volts you can get nuisance cutoffs when you don't really need to stop flying.

Do you have an opinion? I bought a couple of other E-props to try (all are APC)---10x7 and 11x5.5 .

Thanks for your thoughts.

Andrew
Old 02-08-2007, 06:17 PM
bzyguy01

Hey Andrew,
I will look tonite and see what Amps I'm pulling and see what ESC as well. I will post the results....I have had so many projects going I forget whats in what! Going off memory....I think I have a 40 amp great planes esc and running a 11x5.5 or 7 "E" on mine. I have the Hacker A30-22S and LOVE IT! My buddy is running the 28S and wishes he had the 22S.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:00 PM
aviationinfo

Thanks---I appreciate your help.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:09 PM
bzyguy01

OK... A30-22S using a APC 10X5 "E" prop and with a 11.1 2100 mah Tpower Lipo and a 35 amp ESC I got:

Amps-32
Watts-320
The current fly weight is 28.9 oz with this setup. I wouldn't run the battery lower than 3 volts per cell! Regardless.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:57 AM
WGRoper

I'm glueing the wings on mine as we...er...speak. What a pain that is. It's very hard to get the wings straight and level. I've got them clamped per the instructions, but that left them out of alignment with the fuselage from front to back. I've got rubber bands holding everthing down for the time being. We'll see how they look in an hour or so, then I'll move on to the empenage.

-Greg
Old 02-09-2007, 12:52 PM
aviationinfo

BZguy:

Ah Ha! I thought you were using an 11x7 prop. Now it all makes sense. Last night I ran an 11x5.5 and got it down to 37 amps; still too high. Awesome thrust though. I only let it do that for a couple of seconds, and when I glanced at the watts it was in the order of 390 or some equally high number.

How do you like the performance with the 10x5 E prop?

Thanks for checking for me.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:46 PM
bzyguy01

aviationinfo,
I had an 11x7 on mine while I was flying the lower 950 KV motor and also on the lower KV A30-28S but after switching to the 22S Hacker I went down in prop size to get back in the "HAPPY" zone for watts and amps. It's been awhile since I did any tests on this plane and I have been pulling from memory (Which isn't all that good) I like the way it flies with this 10X5 "E" on the A30-22S. Try one and I think You'll like it also. The plane has a smoother more stable feel with the "E" prop.
And You're welcome....At least you recognize it when someone gives true advice....I've recently been blasted for giving my 2 cents....If they didn't want real answers, they shouldn't ask! HE HE Just Venting LOL! Keep us posted and good luck.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:21 AM
scooty

Help my ESC switches my motor off in 2 minutes. Just maidened my YAK today. I flew it twice on different packs and both times it only flew for about 2 minutes before the ESC switched the motor off and I had to deadstick. I'm not sure whats going on. I checked ESC, motor and lipo and nothing was hot. After the shutdown I was able to rearm the motor and get another 3 minutes at full throttle on the ground before the lipo fell below the ESC low voltage cutoff. I am running the recommended Electrifly 3 cell (11.1V 1250 mah) Lipo, Electrifly SS-35 amp ESC and a rimfire 950 outrunner. I have 2 of the Electrifly packs and both will run about 4.5 minutes on the ground at full throttle before quitting. Is this normal ?
Old 03-13-2007, 12:52 PM
aviationinfo

Yes, I would say that is normal at full throttle with those packs. It's all about how much amperage you're pulling with that engine/battery/prop combo. Do you have a Wattmeter to hook up inline between the battery and the ESC? I don't have one of those engines, but at full throttle with a 10-4 APC "E" prop I'm pulling about 34 amps. I don't need anywhere near that amount of power to keep it in the air, so my 2100 maH batteries easily last 10 minutes.

Another thing you can do with some of the ESCs is to program them for a "soft" cutoff, so they modulate the power down when the battery voltage gets close to 9v. Then you have some warning and don't have to dead stick it in.

Some ESCs also have a "brake" feature, where I believe they use battery voltage to keep the prop from windmilling when the throttle stick is all the way closed in flight. This would be a drain on the battery and would shorten your flight time. Usually this can be programmed out.

It's real important to know how much amperage you're pulling when using lipo packs---too much and you can at the very least wreck them, or at worst they'll catch fire.

Good luck.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:56 PM
ramon49

Anybody have the right wing fall off due to insufficient glue from the factory??? I am a 5 year pilot a builder with 30 years of Quality Control experience working for Raytheon Corp. When I notified TOWER and their Warranty dept Hobby Services, boy Did I Learn that they won't replace unless you file a complete report and affadavit of truthfullness. I was personally shocked at the level of rudeness. Is This a one time FLUKE or one of many. The plane had insufficient glue at the top of the formers front to rear, be careful or inspect and glue....
Old 07-05-2007, 03:27 PM
cessna152pilot16

i was wondering if anyone has flown with the axi motors. i work at a hobby shop and we dont order from hacker (. but we do get axi motors. does anyone know a good motor i could use for alot of 3d. i need power without having the motor weighing alot. o was thinking the 2217/12. what do u think

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.