Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 08:32 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

i understand, i made one of my xp's the single speed and it works fine, its also a direct bolt in, very easy to do.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:16 PM
NSXTACY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In response to chubbysuncle's post the 4th post on page 3.
I just got the new one way bearing for the pull start in the mail, which actually surprisingly DID come with cheap candy the same candy chubby has in the pic, except i got one more piece . Threw the bearing in the fridge, knocked out the old bearing of the holder(almost impossible), and waited a couple hours. Once the bearing was good and cold i snapped the new bearing in the bearing holder and it fit great. It fixed the pull start problem! So i put the car back together and took it outside. The engine was not connected to wheels, it was just spinning the clutch bell. It started and ran great! But suddenly it stalled, OH ****! [X(] I quickly took it up to my maintenance room and took it apart. I found out the one way bearing in the pull start must have got too hot and expanded literally locking itself onto the backplate shaft(wouldn't spin either way), therefore stalling the engine. So i can't get the one way bearing off the shaft right now, i threw it in the freezer again with the backplate and shaft. Will putting it in the freezer make it easier to slide off the shaft? And also why would it expand like that, that fast? Should i have let the bearing and bearing holder get back to regular temp before putting it together and running the engine. Hopefully i won't have to buy another bearing.... [:'(]

Also how do you get the cylinder out of the main engine???
Old 02-10-2007, 05:05 PM
ehroof

i am not to sure what to say about your bearing problem. as far as the cylinder, i usually put some electrical tape on the end of a flat screwdriver and put from the bottom, you can see it when you have the backplate off.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:38 AM
mozzzy_2000

freezer? LOL not sure what your theory is there I'm affraid but jammed one way bearings are very common and is a result from being gummed up from the fuel. You could possibly try using some Inox spray which might help to loosen it.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:00 AM
NSXTACY

Basic laws of physics, thermal expansion. I don't get how the fuel could get to the bearing... it is in the pull start. And anyways this is no simple fuel jam this thing feels like it was welded to the back plate shaft. [:'(] I really need some help. THe bearing and shaft have been in the freezer a while hopefully they loosened up.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:51 AM
ehroof

sounds like the bearing is defective, it should slide on and off the backplate shaft.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:03 AM
chubbysuncle

The bearing is a press fit in the steel hex holder. By freezing the bearing it will shrink. The hex holder should be warm or at least room temp. This helps prevent any damage to the bearing when it's being installed. Once both pieces warm to the same temp they sort of become one. Putting both pieces in the freezer will not make it easier to remove. Both pieces shink together. You can't get the hex holder and bearing out of the pull start? It's possible grit or no lube could cause the bearing to seize or heat up and melt the hex into the plastic or has seized to the shaft. You may have also gotten a bad bearing.
Mozzy : the freezer "trick" is commonly used to join press fit joints together. Automobile front ends ( king pins & bearings) Heating the receiving part can also expand the part to receive the other but heat can remove the temper and damage bearings. Cold usually does not. It may only shrink a few thousands of an inch but it's enough.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:36 AM
NSXTACY

I can't get the bearing off the back plate shaft. The shaft that is connected to the crank shaft so the pull starter turns the crank. Its stuck on there, feels as if it was welded, its never coming off unless i beat it off. Couple pics just for kicks. My question is: why did expand so much so that it got stuck like that? Was it cause the bearing was still cold when i started the engine? Then it expanded. Anyway to get the bearing off? Would soaking it in a chemical do any good? Right now im soaking it in WD40, probably wont help but its worth a try. Glad to see you posting again Chubbysuncle!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62118.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	618538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92782.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	618539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82217.jpg
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	618540  
Old 02-11-2007, 09:39 AM
ehroof

of all the bearing i have changed, none ever stuck to the shaft, they just pull off and a new one is put back on. sounds like you have a defective bearing. sounds like the bearing fused itself to the shaft.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:46 AM
NSXTACY

See right after i put the new bearing and the hex together i immediately put the engine together and ran the engine out side(the new OWB was still pretty cold). Would it make any difference if the bearing was still cold?
Old 02-11-2007, 09:52 AM
ehroof

no, it would just expand as it got warmer but should not over expand. The bearing you got was probably no good.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:59 AM
chubbysuncle

Yeah.. it seized to the shaft. It only takes a few minutes for the temps to equalize. They would've been the same temp by the time you had it ready to start up. I don't see how the cooler bearing did that. It would've been tight on the shaft when you tried to start it. How much force did you use to press it in? Also fuel can get to the bearing thru the crank bearing behind the bearing. There is really no seal there. Another thing, was the shaft perfectly smooth when you installed the bearing? I used fine emery cloth to polish the shaft before I installed the bearing.
BTW I've been gone awhile working on my Jeep and hanging on the Jeep Forum. I'm gonna be around here again as spring is coming and it's getting time to start breaking the RC's again!
Old 02-11-2007, 10:00 AM
NSXTACY

Well i got the same bearing Chubbysuncle got. Chubby how is your pull start bearing?

Do guys know any other ways of getting the bearing and holder off the shaft with out beating the **** out of it??
I might end up having to get this: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXN413&P=V Because i think the holder will be done for.
Also might need this: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXN449&P= Those 2 parts will work right, the measurements look good.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:12 AM
NSXTACY

I had to hammer the bearing into the steel bearing holder . I guess thats where i went wrong... But it was hard as hell to push in w/o a hammer. What was i sposed to do? Though, the bearing slid easily onto the backplate shaft, had no problems.
Oh and chubby did you eat the candy they sent you?? I didn't! [:'(]
Old 02-11-2007, 10:16 AM
chubbysuncle

Mine works fine. I had no issues with it. Like Eddie stated above.. I think you either got a bad bearing, the shaft was damaged( nicked scored or dirty) or if you forced the bearing in hard it may have been damaged upon install. I would try and tap out the shaft from the bearing, get the bearing out of the retainer and email the guy and see if they'll ship out a new bearing. Tell them it doesn't work right. I have a used .18 engine case in the garage and could send you the shaft() if you need it. Just pay the shipping. I've gotta go out for awhile so PM me if you want. I dunno what else to tell ya. I went that route last summer cause Redcat didn't sell the bearing. I'm not sure if they do yet either. I read about that fix on the HPI forum so I know quite a few have done it with success. When I preesed the new bearing in it went in with just a little force. Also it needs to be pressed in squarely if yours kinda cocked alittle going in it would've damaged it = binding and heat = seized[]
Old 02-11-2007, 10:19 AM
chubbysuncle

ORIGINAL: NSXTACY

I had to hammer the bearing into the steel bearing holder . I guess thats where i went wrong... But it was hard as hell to push in w/o a hammer. What was i sposed to do? Though, the bearing slid easily onto the backplate shaft, had no problems.
Oh and chubby did you eat the candy they sent you?? I didn't! [:'(]
AAAAA..... I used a vise. A small shop vise is cheep. Buy one. It slowly and evenly presses the bearing into the retainer. By hitting it with a hammer you dented the end. This bound up the bearings and caused it to overheat.![:@] No candy for me! National Security Ya know
Old 02-11-2007, 10:21 AM
NSXTACY

Should i have not hammered it in??
EDIT
Ok i used to have a vise don't know wat happened to it... Im going to the hardware store today for a bunch of stuff ill find one.

Oh and nice wrangler! I have a 86 4x4 Bronco 2. Off road tires and stuff, its a beast
Old 02-11-2007, 10:22 AM
chubbysuncle

ORIGINAL: NSXTACY

Should i have not hammered it in??
NO
Old 02-11-2007, 10:25 AM
chubbysuncle

I used jaw protectors in my vise and with the outer holder at about 80 deg and the bearing @ 30 deg I pressed it right in. You must make sure the bearing and holder are absolutly square to each other. It wasn't very hard to press in with the temp difference once temps equal out it's super tight. Total cost $10. You need a good vise or arbor press to do this right so it's not for everyone. I give it 3 wrenches!
I wrote that!
Old 02-11-2007, 10:29 AM
NSXTACY

You sure did i guess i didn't see the last part...lol. No hammer in that little statement!
Oh and couldn't i use like a piece of wood or plastic for jaw protectors?
Old 02-11-2007, 10:53 AM
ehroof

hopefully the saft is ok, i would go the the lhs and get the one for the hpi, its a direct fit, bring the old one with you.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:42 AM
NSXTACY

Yikes look what happened while i was trying to get the bearing off! I used a electric tape spool to use as a stand while i tried hammering the shaft out of the bearing and the back plate just fell apart(electric tape is stronger). Can't put humpty dumpty back together again []. The only thing that survived was the shaft, which is pretty good. Ill go to my hobby store and see if they have this back plate: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXN402&P=
It should work perfectly. Ill take my engine to see if it fits. And ill ask Rchover for another bearing, if they wont give me one ill have to order another.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17892.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	618635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99033.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	618636  
Old 02-11-2007, 12:12 PM
ehroof

wow, the hpi backplate should work.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:15 PM
arlo1

There is some instances that cooling or heating boath peices will help removal and instalation. This is when they have different thermal expansion rates like aluminum for instance expands at a much faster rate then steel so if you have a bearing in an aluminum case you can heat it (I heat it to 212 f or 100 c or put some water or spit on the bearing to see if it will sizle, or use a lazertemp gun to tell this is safe and will never hurt the temper in these metals) and the bearing will come out alot easier!
Old 02-11-2007, 03:31 PM
NSXTACY

Damn... just as i thought Hobby town doesn't have anything i need, them and there gay American traxxas, j/k lol. But im gonna order this stuff right now: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXN402&P= and http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGEE7&P=M
Also i need some tire glue what would you guys recommend from Towerhobbies? This looks good: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFHY0&P=M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.