Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Electric BVM F-16

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Electric BVM F-16

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Electric BVM F-16

So how hard is it to put an Electric fan on a BVM Airframe? While I have not purchased the BVM system, I do have a couple of SCHUBELER DS-94 with Lehner Motors. I Had done all of this install before Desert jet Storm, but was missing a couple of Deans Connectors since my local Hobby shop was out. Seen here is the Entire System as it comes out of the box. (motor purchased seperatly)

1. Housing and impeller.
2. Fan mounting tabs
3. Motor Centering pins (carbon)
4. Motor Mounting screws.
5. Motor Fairing.

Turbulence

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70541.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	622156  
Old 02-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Turbulence

Default RE: Electric BVM F-16

First is a picture of the Fan system sitting on the plane.

Now that you seem that. Here is what is needed to put the fan togetther.

Picture #2 shows the Centering pins that go around the motor. You basically CyA those around the side on the motor mount through the back. Notice I have my thread locker ready.

Picture #3 Well mount the motor with the three screws. Make sure you use thread locker.

Picture #4 Shows the Rotor. It comes Pre-Balanced, and with four screws, basically ready to be mounted. there is one tiny whole in the top of the Fan shroud and you use the Provided Allen key to tighten those four screws.

Turbulence.

Name:	Ay75088.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	622161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17859.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	622162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12376.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	622163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35148.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	622164  
Old 02-15-2007, 10:47 AM
P. Richards
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbulence Deans connectors are only good for about 50 amps with no significant loss but once you step up
to the higherpower stuff you need the Zero Loss connectors.
I know some people use Deans but they are loosing major voltage equivelent to a lossed cell!
If you are using the DS94 then you obviously want all of the
power that fan can offer, they are not that much more than the Deans plugs.
They have a 99 percent efficiency hence the name ZERO LOSS...

P. Richards aka Swat Team
Old 02-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Turbulence

And that's all it takes to mount and electric fan on the BV Airframes. for some of the questions

1. What about an intake lip? A= The fan fits tightly around the outside edge of the BV intakes.
2. What controller do I use? A= I have only been Using Castle Creations 110 HV (same as used by BVM and JHI)
3. What about Exhaust liner? A= Well you remove part or all of the ducted fan exhaust tube it's up to you. For the most part you only have to take out the part that sorrounds the enginesince it has the hump. You can still use that one if you so choose, there will just be a small gap in the top where the engine heat sink used to be. Below is a picture of the my BVM T-33 where that part of the exhaust liner was removed and another piece of ducting ws installed. On the F-16/Mavericks and the like that have a remoable tail cone I like to remove the liner all together and use a new on. I have found that if you can get your hands on some Yellow F-18 (from the big twin) then you can use that pretty much on anything. The cheaper and faster way is to make your own ALA Byron style made from Mylar.

Also note that i prefer to use rings around the fan for a mounting system rather than the small mounts provided. (not saying they don't work, just a prefference.

Turbulence

Name:	Sq47074.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	622169  
Old 02-15-2007, 10:54 AM
Turbulence

You know I heard that back and forth all over the place. But I am using a Double deans (Glue two of them together on the ESC to battery leads). I know some people claim to have melted theirs, but I want to test to see if the claims are true. DS-94 with Lehner produce MORE power than other systems and they claim a MUCH lower power comcumption. I do have 6MM Bullet connectors on the ESC to Motor wires. Not doubting you, just confident on my set up AND that my wires are not getting as hot as other Set ups.

Turbulence

ORIGINAL: P. Richards

Turbulence Deans connectors are only good for about 50 amps with no significant loss but once you step up
to the higherpower stuff you need the Zero Loss connectors.
I know some people use Deans but they are loosing major voltage equivelent to a lossed cell!
If you are using the DS94 then you obviously want all of the
power that fan can offer, they are not that much more than the Deans plugs.

Name:	Vs55785.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	622174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72819.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	622175  
Old 02-15-2007, 10:58 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ralph
Why not give Robert a call at EJF he should be able to help . He's an expert in this field and he just over the hill from you.
semper Fi
Joe
Old 02-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Turbulence

Uncle Joe

I get all my Electric stuff from Robert at EFJ.COM. thanks for the advice but already been there. Just trying to show some people that is not that difficult. The BV F-16 RTF weight is 14.5 to almost 15 lbs. DS-94 Lehner 2250 motor Estimated thrust according to manufacturers. 14 + lbs of thrust. BV T-33 RTF weight, 19.0 lbs. DS-94 Lehner 2280 Thrust as installed 17+ lbs.

By the way. Robert at EJF also laser cut those rings for me that I use to mount the fan

DS-94 also fits nice into "Black Magic" (Air Magic T-38)

Turbulence

ORIGINAL: uncljoe

Ralph
Why not give Robert a call at EJF he should be able to help . He's an expert in this field and he just over the hill from you.
semper Fi
Joe

Name:	Xv64365.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	622185  
Old 02-15-2007, 11:09 AM
P. Richards
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I work close with our local Electric Guru Ted Goodwin here in Vegas he has a degree in
electronics and all of the testing equipment to go with it.
I was a huge fan of the Deans plug but not for High Power and I don't think Robert at
EJF can test these units as we have after all Im sure he sells both
of them. We will be at Buttonwillow are you coming Ralph or uncljoe?

Old 02-15-2007, 11:15 AM
mode101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a nice drop in fit, did you reduce the tail exhaust diameter? From what I read BVM is working on a EVF ready F-86 AFS, not sure what other mods were added?

Old 02-15-2007, 11:47 AM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Ralph- I am going to EDF a F86-Was just wondering what batteries you are using-There are basicly just enough different brands to get confusing now. Thanks, Scott
Old 02-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I spoke to Bob Ruff and Bob Wagoner and the Speed World show, they gave me the run down on batts. Contact Robert at EJF and he can splain it all, some new stuff out there like a fan units , batts etc.

Ralph, is that the Orange T-33 i have seen for the last ten years kicking around out here?? ha!! maybe she will finally fly now!!

V..
Old 02-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Turbulence

Vincent,

I don't know how long that airplane has been around. I know that I am at least the 4th owner of it and it never flew before. It did come from the East coast. I bought it from a modeller named Frank (forgot his RCU name and I know he got it from 3Dhelinut, but when I asked him about it since I saw a picture of it in his profile, he said he did not build it either.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...ry&memid=41040

I tried to fly it at Desert Jet Storm and of all things, one of the retract cylinder arms broke on take off. Not enough speed yet down the runway, but i still tried to get it airbonrne. It broke the retract mount on one side, the Cf retract frame and a couple of scratches here and there. Main thing is the Rotor is now shot since it has several nicks from the rocks. If I can get a copy of the Video from Jeff Stein (Going Vertical Video) I will post it here.

ORIGINAL: Vincent

Ralph, is that the Orange T-33 i have seen for the last ten years kicking around out here?? ha!! maybe she will finally fly now!!

V..
Old 02-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Turbulence

The Exhaust liner or Thrust tube has an exit diameter of 3 1/4 to almost 3 1/2. I removed the tailcone made a slit on the last six inches of the thrust tube and rolled it over each other (Overlap) to restrict the exit size. I am using the Duralite EVO20 of both planes. F-16 has 6S1P 4900 Mah and T-33 has 6S2P 5000Mah. It actually makes not sence to buy the 5000Mah anymore. 4900Mah cost $300 each (you need two) 5000Mah cost $380 so you are paying almost $100 more for each battery for only 100Mah gain, Plus double the size. I have tried to get them in a sort of stacked configuration, but neither Duralite or Thunder Power will even consider it since they make the packs for BV. One will not even talk about it and the other said they gave the rights to BV (NOTE: I was not asking for saddle shaped batteries, just a flat configuration instead of a brick).

Anyway here are some more pictures of the F-16. Would have flown on Sunday at Desert Jet Storm but then it got windy and rained.

Turbulence

Name:	Mk25656.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	622412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88353.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	622413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53472.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	622414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91224.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	622415  
Old 02-15-2007, 08:54 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: P. Richards

Shouldn't they be called 1% loss?
Old 02-16-2007, 10:32 AM
rongreg13
My Feedback: (129)

Turbulence -- What kink of Amps are you pulling with the various motor/battery combos you have listed in the posts above?
Old 02-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Turbulence

Scott,

ken Le also wants to do an F-86 and what it comes down to is this. What batteries can fit into the airframe. You can have Many packs put in series to make one large pack. For Example, you can make three packs of 4S batteries to make a single 12S pack and of course you can do 4 3S packs do do the same. many people do that since packs are not exactly designed for jets in mind. You can buy the packs from BV, but I don't know if he will sell them to you if you didnot buy his system. The great thing about his packs is that they fit right in where the DF fuel tanks used to fit. I just wanted a little better (or maybe just bigger packs in cells and capacity).

Are you coming down to the Tucson Jet Rally? Since that is now my home field if you come down you can see first hand many of the packs and systems. Robert at EJF carries the BVM system as well as other. You can also get a feel of some of the different batteries and combinations that are actually in use in different planes. There are at least Half a dozen large electric jets around here in AZ.

Turbulence

ORIGINAL: GSR

Ralph- I am going to EDF a F86-Was just wondering what batteries you are using-There are basicly just enough different brands to get confusing now. Thanks, Scott
Old 02-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Turbulence

You know I do have a WATT meter and really need to learn how to set it up on the large EDF system. I can tell you I am running over 3Kw but that's about it. I will make some plugs to fit the Watt meter to the speed controler and test it. I am not nearly half the Electric expert, I just jumped into it not too long ago. I wast wanted to show that it's not that difficult as some people make it out to be, that some systems are more reliable, more powerful than other. AND mainly that IT CAN BE DONE.

I am sure you have heard that JHI converted their Turbax system to Electric, and that flies a BVM Maverick very decently, of course Bob Ruff did the Byron conversion and that flies well on the F-16 and on the twin Tornado. That leaves BVM, Schuebeler , Airpower and all the other clones out there in the large 120 or close to it size. The Best bang for the buck JHI cheaper and gets the job done. High end if BV and Schuebeler and the others I can say much about because I have never owned or seen someone fly them personally.

Turbulence

ORIGINAL: rongreg13

Turbulence -- What kink of Amps are you pulling with the various motor/battery combos you have listed in the posts above?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Vincent

Turbulance wrote: <<Best bang for the buck JHI cheaper and gets the job done>>

Is the JHI fan the ones that EJF had on display in all sizes at Speed World?? They looked interesting.

V..
Old 02-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Turbulence

You know I don't think Robert (Electric Jet Factory or EJF) carries the Jet Hangar Line, I could be wrong, but I can tell you that I did not see it at Speed wolrd. To my knowledge only Darren Jakel (Spelling of last name?) had the JHI system and that is what was flying the DF Maverick at the event.

By "Best bang for the Buck", it's the cheapest fan system to purchase, it flies the plane, but don't expect a pocket rocket. I do think they clocked the Maverick at 130+ I am sure someone will correctly quickly on that one. That is one of the reasons I want to purchase a Speed Trap unit. I wonder if JPO lends it out to NON Jet Events. For Example I would love to have one for an Electric event, Sure there will be some jets there and that is the main reason (or my only reason) but it will not be a jet Rally. maybe we can get Kenny Falconner, Dave Presta and crew to get one for CA Jets.

Turbulence

ORIGINAL: Vincent

Turbulance wrote: <<Best bang for the buck JHI cheaper and gets the job done>>

Is the JHI fan the ones that EJF had on display in all sizes at Speed World?? They looked interesting.

V..
Old 02-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Vincent

Oh, don`t you mean JHH not JHI ?? not sure who made those other fans he had on display. The JHH elec fan is a good value and i watched the mav fly, it went quite well. V..
Old 02-16-2007, 01:23 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Vin
JHH(jet hangar hobbies) is now jet hangar international...........
Semper fi
joe
Old 02-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Jet20
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Ralph,

The E-turbax will fly airplanes into the 150 mph range. Darren's Mav weighing in at 16lb was clocked at over 140 mph (145 I think). My EDF A-7 was clocked at 143 mph with the same system.

Vin, As Joe said, JHH and JHI are the same place, good 'ol Jet Hangar.

Chris
Old 02-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Robert Wagoner
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks Uncle joe and Vin,

Yes, Ralph is coming over to the shop tomorrow before he burns his fingers or something else.

--RW
Old 02-16-2007, 10:30 PM
darren_jakel

Ralph,

I hope you can get your hands on a speed trap, I'd like to put the Maverick thru it sometime. I did get a 145mph reading using a doppler program. The doppler seems to be more accurate than a radar gun but I would like to see what the speed trap has to say about it. I'm very happy with the performance of the E-Turbax in my Maverick. I have another one ready to go into an AMD Hawk.
It will be 3 to 4 lbs lighter than the Maverick so it should fly very well.

Good job on the F-16. I hope to see it fly at Tucson Jets next month.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:53 PM
Turbulence

O.K. the batteries where charge last Saturday (exactly one week ago) I played with the fan a little between then and now to set the soft cut off and not brake etc. Today I got to pull 69 Amps and 2200-2800 Watts at max speed. Don't know if it will change after a fresh charge and It was a sure PITB to try and get a picture, they would all focus on the the Watt Meter box and logo and not the read out. I can say this much, while doing this inside the garage, IT WAS LOUD. I can compare the db coming out to running a turbine at full thrust and having the hatch removed and you knelling or seating right next to the plane.

Turbulence

ORIGINAL: rongreg13

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.