Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Spur Issues 18T

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 05:16 PM
prinler4256

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spur Issues 18T

I figured ok im sick of ripping up plastic spurs.

Im running 6800 mamba with thunder power 2100 extream packs.

my RC18T would fly if it had wings.

I went and purchased an alum aloy spur.

Now its bald.

What now?
Old 02-17-2007, 06:33 PM
shazbot

Default RE: Spur Issues 18T

I am am running basically the same gear as you and have yet to have problem with my spur gear. It sounds like you are setting your mesh too loose(pinion too far away from the spur). Try sliding the pinion closer to the spur but not too close(they might bind).Take a small strip of paper and roll it between the two gears. If the gears roll too easy then it is too loose. If it won't roll then its too tight. Get it to roll through there, just not too easy.

Mike
Old 02-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Frozen72

Yea that is good advise you just have to learn to get a feel for it. BTW welcome Snazbot.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Racing T

I run a mamba 6800kv with a 7 cell in mine without any problems with the spur, do the paper trick.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:07 PM
prinler4256

is not a mesh issue. the gear is freely moving, and the teeth are all warn off at the base of the gear proving a good gear mesh. perhaps i should go back to the plastic ones?
Old 02-17-2007, 10:10 PM
mirage-twin

ORIGINAL: prinler4256

is not a mesh issue. the gear is freely moving, and the teeth are all warn off at the base of the gear proving a good gear mesh. perhaps i should go back to the plastic ones?
It has to be a mesh issue to make an alloy spur bald, is any other part of your drivetrain binding?

Also, don't be offended by this but are you running the correct size/pitch pinion for the motor shaft and gears?
Old 02-18-2007, 02:24 PM
abjones413

ORIGINAL: prinler4256

If the gear is freely moving, then the mesh is probably too loose, causing shearing of the teeth, obviously not binding. There should be the slightest movement between the teeth, that's why people recommend the paper trick. Paper is just the right thickness to keep the gears the proper distance apart. A bit too tight is better than too loose any day. Just put the paper between the gears and snug them together, not too hard, and tighten the motor to the mount. When pushed by hand, it should roll smoothly with no crackling or binding...
Old 02-18-2007, 03:38 PM
prinler4256

yes, i used the paper trick everytime i mesh ears. i have been in the hobby for 16 years. Idid notice that the 18t gears bind alot with paper mesh. Heats up my motors so i have todo it by eye. I had the ever so slightest tic in the mesh but it eat the gea up like fruit salad at a jenny craig picnic.
well acually it took about 10 packs run of hard driving, then i put a hig voltage lipo in it and it killed it.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Doahh

Your mesh is too loose... the paper trick makes it too loose on these little cars... you need to have it set perfectly... to tight and you loose teeth and too loose and you loose teeth.

You have to look at the pinion and spur and have about half a millimeter in between them