Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Old 02-20-2007, 11:14 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Interesting comment re: airflow over the tail .. that makes sense and might be an issue. When I flew a full scale T-6 in Kissimmee, the instructor pilot mentioned that the T-6 has a similar problem on landing .. if you do a wheel landing, just as the tailwheel is being set down, airflow over the wing interferes with the rudder effectiveness, and can cause ground loops. They always three point them for this reason .. apparently this keeps better flow over the tail. Interesting .. opposite of my practice with the Yellow Aircraft T-6 model, where I always do wheel landings. If you try to three point, and are anywhere above stall speed, the T-6 tends to bounce up and go nose high at the worst possible moment. Don't ask how I know :-)

As I mentioned in my post, the inspiration for the top of fuse speedbrake came from Todd at Dreamworks doing it to a Eurofighter, which is single tail .. and seems ok there .. but .. the C-Arf Eurosport has a _really_ large fin and rudder that sticks up well above the speedbrake. Maybe that's the secret .. not to make the brake tall enough to "hide" all of the rudder and fin .. but with the R54's low-profile vertical tail this might be a challenge. We'll see...

(see the picture: [link=http://www.dreamworksrc.com/Tips_Mods/euro_mods.pdf]C-Arf Eurosport with Speedbrake [/link] )

The fullscale the F-15 also has a speedbrake in this position, but is a twin-tail as Bruce says.

Chris, re: the 0.6 oz cloth .. I just got the box from CST sales the other day, so I am armed and ready when the framing is complete.

Just about ready to join the fuse parts together, working in parallel on the wing sheeting .. one wing ready for joining, other one in process.

What's the group wisdom on making a circular notch in the rear of the boat tail to get the turbine further forward? I've seen a few done that way .. not so pretty but might save some nose weight .. I am inclined not to notch .. the MW54 SS fits right where the plans suggest...

Dave
Old 02-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Mach1
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My theory for the speedbrake is it will hopefully allow the use of a little power on landing.
While it's true the R will slow to a crawl on landing, I find it difficult to hit the same spot
everytime. With very light wind, it's easy, but if it's in the 10-15+ range it really
wants to float. I use full flaps and crow but mine still won't settle everytime in windy conditions.

My other jets require power on landing and once the approach is set they can be flown
to landing in a very predictable manner by using the throttle for attitude (altitude) and the
elevator for speed control.

Bruce, I have about 1/4" clearance!!!!

W.G. Hunter
Old 02-20-2007, 01:37 PM
speedbrake

Dave,
The reason I cut a notch in the boat tail was to route the starter motor wires through the notch....thus providing a much neater installation. It also moved the turbine a tad forward...1/2 inch or so. I built my first R54 per Bruce's instructions and needed lead to balance the model. So moving the turbine forward will help minimize ballast. The UAT was moved forward for the same reason. The only components I have in the boat tail area are the retract air tank and the fuel pump and filter.

I like your idea of making the rear hatch a speedbrake. I hope you follow through with the idea.

Cheers,
Keith
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29362.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	625800  
Old 02-20-2007, 02:45 PM
lkilli51
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Max....I like the fact that your glassing your Reaction 54, I have my Reaction listed on this site for sale, take a look at my glass and paint...it might give you some Ideas...
Old 02-20-2007, 05:37 PM
maxvertical

Will go take a peek! I'm all for ideas!

As for that Speed Brake on the Euro, that's a good point that it's huge, but it's also a delta wing platform which in my view changes everything. Lots of downwash at high angles of attack, so not sure if that might change things up. Still think it's an interesting idea. Would be fun to try it!

Chris
Old 02-20-2007, 06:50 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

The Euro doesn't have an elevator behind the air brake to get blanketed.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:09 PM
maxvertical

Ther ya go! Took the words right out of my mind... LOL..

i51, that's a sharp bird you have up for sale. Why in the world do you want to part with a ship that nice!! I hope mine will look as good as yours.
P-60 power, probably won't stay on the market long. I love the way you did the interior. My plan is for the carbon plate, "simulated", which should look nice if I do my homework. Pictures sure help out on the build! Lots of ideas
Old 02-21-2007, 09:42 AM
lkilli51

Thanks Max...I really like flying my Reaction, it always draws a crowd when I show up with it at our field, the glass and paint really looks good vs covering with film...Most people do not know how much is involved to get one glassed and painted with multible colors much less the cost to do it, but its really worth it for a great looking finish, plus the plane fly's much better with a smooth surface...I never did get a pic to Bruce Tharpe for him to see but maybe he will see it on the Ad..I have built two of Bruce Tharpe kits (Reaction 54 and the Super Flying King twin version) and I can honestly say he has the best building kits I have ever had the pleasure of building, plus he is really nice to talk to if you have any concerns...Class Act....good luck with your Reaction, great flying plane..
Old 02-21-2007, 10:18 AM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Larry, Yeah, I peeked at the ad! Gorgeous R54. Glad to hear it served its purpose as a stepping stone to a bigger or faster jet.

Give me a call or email sometime to let me know how the twin SFK is coming along...
Old 03-01-2007, 11:33 AM
speedbrake

All R54 flyers,
There is going to be a jet fun fly at Mac Hodges' place on the 21/22 July. For those of you who don't know Mac Hodges, he flies the giant B-29 at most of the East Coast events. He will do some demo flights with the bomber and X-1 during that weekend as well. Four jet model categories will be welcome, prop jets, electric fans, ducted fans, and turbines. We will have a radar speed trap set up to measure everybody's speed. Prizes will be given to the fastest model in each category. Basically, it will be a weekend of open flying for all. I'll try to have some jet product manufacturers present to show off their inventory of goodies.

Hodges Hobbies is located near Andersonville, Georgia. For those of you with RV's, there are parking spots with electrical hook up. I'll provide more details in the future, including a map.

I own two R54 and will have both of them there. I don't expect to win any speed prizes, but it would be nice to see as many R54's as possible flying at the event. I'll have a separate prize catecory for the R54's....perhaps the best finish or something similar. Please let me know if this would interest you.

More to come,
Keith
Old 03-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Turbines....

Speed competition....

Oh my!
Old 03-02-2007, 02:23 PM
maxvertical

Oh yea.. Sounds like fun...

Visions of the Brasilian Speed Trials.... LOL...
I know, I know, Just kidding!
Old 03-02-2007, 02:41 PM
causeitflies

You could always have "slow speed" competition.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Molar mender

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: causeitflies-RCU

You could always have "slow speed" competition.
At several of our events, we had a seperate target speed event for D/F. Turbines were never included in speed events as per AMA instruction. But if your event is not AMA sanctioned, then a target speed could be utilized for all aircraft. Besides, top speed is determined by airframe, target speed is determined by pilot skill of that airframe. That allows all to participate instead of just the few folks with the hot jets.

RH
Old 03-04-2007, 07:06 AM
speedbrake

Sorry about that..... We are working with our AMA district rep on the event format. It is our desire to have an AMA sanctioned event and will therefore abide by AMA safety rules. The speed trap will be available to all that wish to know their model speed. Speed prizes will appy to electric fans and prop jets.

Keith

Old 03-12-2007, 10:53 AM
speedbrake

Hello all,
Hodges Hobbies will host a Jet Model Rally 21/22 July 2007. All ducted fans, electric fans, prop jets and turbine powered RC jet models are welcome. A speed trap will be available for all those who wish to use it. Mac Hodges will fly the giant B-29 and X-1 both days. Unlimited vehicle (with or without trailers) parking and some RV sites available with electrical hook up. Large covered area for model assembly and maintenance. Large smooth grass runway - 400X1000 feet. No noise, radio frequency, or turbine operation restrictions apply. Hobby Shop located on site. Come and enjoy two days of open flying.

For more details, directions, hotels,etc. go to: www.hodgeshobbies.com

I invite all R-54 owners to come and enjoy the weekend. A prize will be presented for "Best Finish" as determined by all the R-54 owners present.

Keith
Old 03-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Canuck 2005

Does BTE models have another phone number because I am getting a message that the 1-800 number is not available in canada.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Jeremy300
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Us Canucks need to use his info line

541-582-1708
Old 03-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Canuck 2005

Thanks Jeremy I am planning on ordering the reaction 54.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:41 PM
phantom driver
My Feedback: (32)

Hey guys,
How are you getting your flaps down to 60 degrees deflection? I have my transmitter set for full range of motion for the servo and I am only getting about 45 degrees of deflection.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:47 PM
causeitflies

Check the plans for linkage set up. In other words don't set it up like an aileron. I did this at first and gave the old Homer Simpson yell DOH!
Old 03-19-2007, 03:03 PM
phantom driver

I don't have a copy of the plans, but do you mean turn the control horn around backwords from how it would be used for an aileron?
Old 03-19-2007, 03:19 PM
causeitflies

With flap up and flap control (knob or slider) at one extreme...
Old 03-19-2007, 03:23 PM
phantom driver

Thanks for your help, I will try that.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:24 PM
causeitflies

This one's a little better...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.