Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

OS Speed VZ-B engine break in

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 05:49 AM
diablo_r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS Speed VZ-B engine break in

I've been using a standard VZ-B for the last few months and its fantastic, just performs perfectly, starts easy, never stalls etc. I've just bought an Inferno Kanai 3 edition so thought I'd get an OS Speed 21 VZ-B and see what the difference is compared to the std motor. I'll be doing the break-in next week but a bloke at the local buggy club who runs Ninja engines in his Mugens said I should change the conrod and piston pin after the first hour of running. Does anyone else do this? Does anyone have an OS Speed edition motor and could let me know? The instructions don't mention anything like that.

I use the hot engine break in procedure, ie 5 mins on the starter box first at 80 deg C low revs to get the bearings etc bedded in, then lean it a little and onto the track for half a gallon gradually leaning off to 110 deg C head (120 deg plug) and proper mixture.

Cheers for any info,
Rich
Old 02-22-2007, 11:58 AM
nacodeblue
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: OS Speed VZ-B engine break in

When I broke in my v-spec motors, I changed the con rod at about 1/2gal. I think the reasoning for this is that the engines are so tight that breaking them in has a tendency to wear the con rod. OS doesnt suggest this but obviously it wont hurt to do so.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Da Smak
Banned

It depends which way you break the motors in, if you do it the quick way then you'll need to swap the rod immediately after break in and tuning, but if you take your time like I do then you'll not need to bother as the rod isn't punished during break in.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:05 PM
diablo_r

Cheers,

I think I'll replace the rods in them both just to be sure. I'm not sure how a slow or fast break in makes any difference though, I would have thought a slow break in would do more damage as the piston is much tighter for longer stressing the rod more.

Rich
Old 02-22-2007, 05:17 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

Here we go.......
Old 02-22-2007, 10:19 PM
kaneo

I don't understand such varying views on engine break-in. I have 5-6 gallons through my V-Spec and broke it in on approx 5 tanks running it rich at low temps (120-140). I have never replaced the conrod and it only really lost its pinch at the 4-5 gallon mark. It is now my backup motor and I am running a 7 port Nova Rossi, and I probabley won't break it in any differently.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:54 PM
livthemoment

ORIGINAL: kaneo

I don't understand such varying views on engine break-in. I have 5-6 gallons through my V-Spec and broke it in on approx 5 tanks running it rich at low temps (120-140). I have never replaced the conrod and it only really lost its pinch at the 4-5 gallon mark. It is now my backup motor and I am running a 7 port Nova Rossi, and I probabley won't break it in any differently.
I have an RG that did not start to lose pinch until the 7 gallon mark. I heat it up all my engines each time before I start them to save on wear and tear.