Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

foam filler??

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

foam filler??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 08:00 PM
dabo12367

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default foam filler??

Hello, I have a question. I have a Shockwave 55 SS and from the engine forwards it is basically a large empty void with the exception of a small block of styrofoam for flotation. I was wondering if I should remove the styrofoam and fill this void completely and solidly with expandable foam that comes in a spray can. Would this be benificial for this boat. Would it made it any more solid? What type of flotation characteristics should I expect? I am sorry if I am asking a question that has already been adressed in this forum, but I'm a nooby and I ask this question out of ignorance. David Barclay
Old 02-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Boom-n-Zoom

Default RE: foam filler??

I've been told the expanding foam will adsorb too much water. Try an empty two litre bottle or some pool noodles. They seem to be very popular.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:42 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey dave, get some pool noodles,(not the ramen type)stuff the bow with about three or four pieces,,that should take care of that,if you plan on runnin with other boats, you might want to bind them together and attach a cord to your engine or mount,in case of a collision and yur top pops off you'll still have somethin to fish out......
Old 02-24-2007, 09:04 PM
dabo12367

I appreciate your respnse, I thank that will be the way I will go. I was hoping by stuffing all this foam inside the bow it would add some structual integrity to a rc boat with questional hull strength. Any ideas on how I can improce that? Thanks, David.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:16 PM
dabo12367

Thanks. I appreciate your input. I was hoping this foam would add some bouyancy to the boat but I also kinda hoped it would add some support to the bow in rough chop. I don't know if you have ever seen the inside of a 55 SS but from the front of the engine to the tip of the bow there is only empty space. I don't know why this forward half of the boat was left unsupported in any way. The hull is so thon in that area, you could hold a flashlight against the outside hull and see the light on the insight. I just wish I could reinforce it,it would give me some peace of mind. David.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:38 PM
gasfreak
My Feedback: (13)

You could build some kind of light plywood frame or structure and epoxy it in,also if you want flotation and something to tether your motor to in case the boat does come apart use a wheelbarrow intertube you will have to put it in the nose first then air it up it will go out agianst the sides of the hull and hold it in place really nice just dont over inflate it,I have a magnum 57 with one in it for years,I also think it cut down on the vibration that is sent through the hull from the motor.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:49 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 55ss is a fine() sport boat,not a race boat,I think some braces and maybe a little extra glassin on the engine rails and transom would provide some peace of mind should you want to mod the motor at a later date,but as of yet,i have'nt heard of the top poppin off from normal runnin,although it does sound like a bass drum when jumpin some chop.......[:@]
Old 02-25-2007, 08:06 AM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

X30 two part foam is made for marine use and is closed cell foam.... but it adds weight and not applied properly it will pop the deck off and swell the bottom. if you do go this route mix it in 4 ounce (total) batches and roll the liquid around till its spreads out and expands. continue with the small batches untill you get as much as you need. i used the inflatable slip over the arm swim floaties the kids use. you can cut them in two at the seams and you'll have 4 float bags, they are impervious to gas and i ran some in my hydro for two seasons and they didnt chafe enought wear a hole in them
Old 02-27-2007, 11:11 PM
MrMikeG

Don't completely fill the front, keep the foam low and don't let it sit in the water. Small batches like Larry said. Personaly I would put it down the sides only. It might expand more on hot days.