Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Spektrum DSM2 2.4Ghz modules for Futaba and JR announced

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DSM2 2.4Ghz modules for Futaba and JR announced

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 02:10 PM
mike gruenwald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum DSM2 2.4Ghz modules for Futaba and JR announced

will the spectrum module and rx work with a futaba 9zap? Remember that the 9zap has a ball joint, swivel, and if I'm correct, non removable tx antenna?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:12 PM
robert85614

Will the Hitec Optic 6 module be supported?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:41 PM
Bill Martins

In regards to the Lipo flight pack 7.4 volts, I believe I read in a thread on another forum that Paul Beard (DX 6 and 7 creator) has been using lipo packs in his aircraft for the last six months or so. The voltage range for Spektrum and JR receivers and servos is stated at 3 to 9 volts. So I am looking forward to using a lipo pack in my next plane. More speed and torque!

If the person in this thread was talking about any components other than Spektrum or JR then yes you will still need a regulator.

I have a DX 7 and 14 MZ, so I am exited to be able to use the programming features on my MZ with this new module. A little bummed that the model match and servo sync are not available.

May have to watch and wait a little while and see some field results. Hopefully Futaba will get it together soon.

Bill
Old 02-26-2007, 12:09 AM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

JR rx's are restricted to 4.8 to 6 volts; dont try to use a li-po on a jr rx with out a reg.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:18 AM
vintageflyer
My Feedback: (1)

What advantage would there be to not use I reg.? I don't understand.

DM
ORIGINAL: flatlandmike

JR rx's are restricted to 4.8 to 6 volts; dont try to use a li-po on a jr rx with out a reg.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:35 AM
Bill Martins

Jan 06, 2007, 09:53 PM
beardp

This is what I was referring to. He doesn't actually mention the receiver. Bill

Posts: 79 I use 2S lipos on my Heli directly. I have been running this setup for that last 6 months (since IrCHA).

I have a 5V regulator for the Gyro only.

The AR7000 and the JR Z9000S servos have no problem with this setup.

It is my understanding that all JR digital servos can run up to 9V. I have no direct experience with any other servo brand.

Paul

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by beardp : Jan 06, 2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:36 AM
flatlandmike

with the jr there is no advantage since you would eventually burn it out. if a system coul dhandle high volts of an unreg li-po then you dont have to spend money on a reg you would have high torg and faster speeds.

The down side of no req on a system wether it could handle the high volts or not is that the torg and speed of the servos are constantly slowing and decreasing, changing the way the plane reacts . For this reason when the systems are made to handle the load i will just get a reg that has a higher out put maybe 7.5 or something close to it for that extra speed and torg.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:42 AM
flatlandmike

ORIGINAL: Bill Martins

Jan 06, 2007, 09:53 PM
beardp

This is what I was referring to. He doesn't actually mention the receiver. Bill

Posts: 79 I use 2S lipos on my Heli directly. I have been running this setup for that last 6 months (since IrCHA).

I have a 5V regulator for the Gyro only.

The AR7000 and the JR Z9000S servos have no problem with this setup.

It is my understanding that all JR digital servos can run up to 9V. I have no direct experience with any other servo brand.

Paul

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by beardp : Jan 06, 2007 at 09:58 PM.
i just looked for that jr rx and i cant find it if it is a new rx thats being tested then that would explain it but other wise there is no jr rx that can handle anything other than 4.8 to 6 volts

to me though the name of it suggests itis the name of a spectrum rx that is misspelled maybe

Edit that is a servo by the post it makes no mention of a jr rx sorry just noticed ill look for that servo right now maybe they have it on their site

edit part 2 I found some dz9000s servos but it doesnt mention any volt range just what speed and torg it has at 4.8 and 6 volts
Old 02-26-2007, 04:11 AM
jstok

I have may have missed it on the thread,but as a proud 14mz and DX7 owner and what is
Futabas point of view on this conversion? by using this does the mfg run for cover if any problems crop up?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:00 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Bill - I've been following that other forum's threads on this pretty closely, also. I believe what Paul is referring to is the setup he has been using in his helicopters (at least that's a reference from someone about Mr. Beard). The published data does state that the AR9000 can tolerate up to 9v input voltage to it.

The concern by some is actually what is the "max voltage" of various servos, as clearly that would seem to be the voltage-limiting system factor at this point. I know the JR digitals don't like the first few minutes hot off a charge from a 5 cell NiMh, but they don't burn up, either.

If servos were capable of tolerating the 7.4 of a 2S LiPo, then systems would not need regulators, which reduces multiple connection potential failure points. Often, simple (less parts) is more reliable. Just having an extra and usable "second battery" input in the AR9000 is quite a feature worth having. (The "data" port can be the second battery/switch connection)

Do you have some links to info on higher voltage servos?

ORIGINAL: Bill Martins

In regards to the Lipo flight pack 7.4 volts, I believe I read in a thread on another forum that Paul Beard (DX 6 and 7 creator) has been using lipo packs in his aircraft for the last six months or so. The voltage range for Spektrum and JR receivers and servos is stated at 3 to 9 volts. So I am looking forward to using a lipo pack in my next plane. More speed and torque!

If the person in this thread was talking about any components other than Spektrum or JR then yes you will still need a regulator.

I have a DX 7 and 14 MZ, so I am exited to be able to use the programming features on my MZ with this new module. A little bummed that the model match and servo sync are not available.

May have to watch and wait a little while and see some field results. Hopefully Futaba will get it together soon.

Bill
Old 02-26-2007, 07:19 AM
kaastrup

Here is the information in German....Very nice servoes...

http://www.acteurope.de/html/7_5_volt-servos.html
Old 02-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Eric.Henderson

I was wondering if anyone knows how the DSC cord will interact with the new RX's. I use it quite a lot during set-up etc. in the workshop, but will most likey not need it at a club site because I won't be on anyone's frequency!

Please excuse all the questions but until I get one of my own I cannot find any deeper info on the subject.

Regards,

Eric.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:17 AM
Bob Pastorello

Eric - Mike McConville suggested (reminded) me that DSC cords are "obsoleted" by the DSM system. When you power up the TX/RX setup, it's going to act the same whether at home or afield. It is a "habit" I have to unlearn, too.

ORIGINAL: Eric.Henderson

I was wondering if anyone knows how the DSC cord will interact with the new RX's. I use it quite a lot during set-up etc. in the workshop, but will most likey not need it at a club site because I won't be on anyone's frequency!

Please excuse all the questions but until I get one of my own I cannot find any deeper info on the subject.

Regards,

Eric.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:52 AM
MMallory

Bob,

Just don't learn the Spektrum way and forget if you fly a traditional radio. We are going to need eyes in the back of our heads for the absent minded guys who switch back and forth.

Mark
Old 02-26-2007, 12:05 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A Question I have not seen asked, forgive me if I have missed it, but If I have a 2.4 modual in my Zap can I still buddy with my FF7, for training.

Mike
Old 02-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Bob Pastorello

You're right, and I *hope* I'll always keep the head on a swivel!!

ORIGINAL: MMallory

Bob,

Just don't learn the Spektrum way and forget if you fly a traditional radio. We are going to need eyes in the back of our heads for the absent minded guys who switch back and forth.

Mark
Old 02-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Mike Wiz
My Feedback: (2)

Our club is going to make several 2.4Ghz pins and require us to continue to use the "take a pin" and radio impound system just to keep continuity. I think it's a good idea even though personally I wish I wouldn't have to keep doing that.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:21 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Baldeagle,
The power and RF come from the instructors transmitter and you don't turn on the buddy box. A buddy box doesn't even have to have an RF module of battery.

Dave
Old 02-26-2007, 04:43 PM
d_wheel

ORIGINAL: Mike Wiz

Our club is going to make several 2.4Ghz pins and require us to continue to use the "take a pin" and radio impound system just to keep continuity. I think it's a good idea even though personally I wish I wouldn't have to keep doing that.
I am thinking of having a shirt made up with the message on the back "No, I'm not pinned. I'm on 2.4 ghz".

Later;

D.W.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:52 PM
vintageflyer

Yeah, but the Spektrum and Xtreme will be using the trainer output of these radios.
Very good question BaldEagle.

DM
Old 02-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Rabbitcreekok

ORIGINAL: davewallace

Baldeagle,
The power and RF come from the instructors transmitter and you don't turn on the buddy box. A buddy box doesn't even have to have an RF module of battery.

Dave
When a JR is used as a buddy box, it has to have a battery to complete the circuit, but it does not have to be turned on to work as a buddy box.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Eric.Henderson

The problem is that the when radio RF is on it consumes a lot of battery. If you uset the DSC the battery consumtion is very small.

ORIGINAL: aerobob

Eric - Mike McConville suggested (reminded) me that DSC cords are "obsoleted" by the DSM system. When you power up the TX/RX setup, it's going to act the same whether at home or afield. It is a "habit" I have to unlearn, too.

Regards,

Eric.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Bob Pastorello

THat's true of the 72Mhz stuff, but the 2.4 Ghz are VERY low power consumption. My DX 7 actually ran for almost 11 hours before the low battery alarm. Plus, it's perfectly safe to leave on, because the antenna is connected, and normal loading...normal rf output.

Food for thought....

The problem is that the when radio RF is on it consumes a lot of battery. If you uset the DSC the battery consumtion is very small.

ORIGINAL: aerobob

Regards,

Eric.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:11 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It really isn't a very power hungry system -- -I think -at least 6 hours on a charge -flying- with std DX7 battery .
I am cutting up old DSC cords for extensions in smaller planes -also I have now made up some 123 flight packs and as soon as the weather permits I will fly em in various plane - I have 27%/ 33% and 42% sized toys (all on DX7 radios and the two cell packs just run wild - typical measured voltage once hooked up to rx is a bit above 6.6 volts the cells are 3.6 -also charged at 3.6 so 7.2 is what my model sees - this is same as my 4300ma 5 cell NIMH put out -in fact the initial installed reading on the NIMH is slightly higher - the big difference is weight - my new 2300 ma packs are 5.5 ozs with 3 wire setup to allow monitored ,balanced fast charge at field . A Cellpro 4 123 charger charges at 3 amps - actual usuable amperage is 2000 per two cell pack -afer that the cells take a real nose dive -so I will have to fly n try to really know if I recharge each flight - every other flight- whatever - doesn't matter --but I can recharge at 10 amps (really ) and fill em up as fast as I can fill up the gas tank.
Oh yeh next setup is a home made pattern thing- with the new ZDZF3a and the DX7 and 123 cells etc.
It's a new year --- why not ---
Old 02-26-2007, 09:06 PM
undertaker29

I am confused. Why is the Futaba 8U excluded???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.