Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Sealing an Engine...Air Leaks

Old 03-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Mike2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealing an Engine...Air Leaks

I've been having some problems with my engine getting too hot when its warm outside and when i put the body on the car. I have an MT2 with the T-15 engine in it and i've heard that many of them have air leaks which cause the engine to overheat so I purchased this product to fix the leaks: [link=http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_Permatex_Ultra_Copper_Maximum_Temperature_RTV _Silicone_Gasket_Maker.htm]SEALER[/link] I'm not really sure what to do next as in where exactly to put the sealer and how much of the engine needs sealing so any suggestions?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Sealing an Engine...Air Leaks

The best advice I can offer is to get RC Car Action's Nitro Tuning Guide. It gives directions on how and where to seal a nitro engine. With that said, the #1 place to seal is the backplate to the crankcase. Just spread a nice even bead across the back of the crankcase and carefully put the backplate on and fasten it. Second, I will put a little bead of silicone on the base of the carb where the HSN screws in to the carb. Finally, seal the fuel inlet banjo on the high speed needle assembly; I usually seal both above and below the banjo fitting.

If you don't have a body hole cutout in your body on the windshield to get airflow to the cooling head, do that.

What kind of temperatures are you getting, aka what is too hot?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Mike2002

I don't have a temp gun to test the temperatures but i'll see some smoke coming off the head and sometimes it'll shut off on its own. I did the water test on the cooling head and the water will start to boil in a few seconds. I've just always had a problem when I put the body on it and I've cut multiple cooling holes in the body. So the thing that worries me is the smoke coming off the engine...is this normal sometimes or it shouldn't be happening?
Old 03-07-2007, 08:01 PM
HeLLsGoD

Smoke isnt supposed to come out of the head dude, sounds like your running a lean mixture (maybe from the airleak). If it shuts off and have a hard time restarting the car then your engine is overheated, try richening your needles by 1/4 of a turn
Old 03-07-2007, 08:58 PM
hpi apollo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a link in here aobut sealing the engines, also, its a great tuning guide
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5517128/tm.htm
Old 03-11-2007, 12:32 AM
Mike2002

I sealed up the engine the other day and tried to start the engine today. I tried and tried and couldn't get it started. I ended up flooding the engine and stopped after that. I am hoping its just the needles that were not adjusted correctly since i took them out while working on the engine but i'll have to give starting it another shot tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: Mike2002

I sealed up the engine the other day and tried to start the engine today. I tried and tried and couldn't get it started. I ended up flooding the engine and stopped after that. I am hoping its just the needles that were not adjusted correctly since i took them out while working on the engine but i'll have to give starting it another shot tomorrow.
I can't stress how important a temp gun is! Pick yourself up one, they are an invaluable tool to help you tune. It's better to spend $30 on a temp gun, rather than spending $150 on a new engine because you overheated and fried your old engine......
Old 03-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Kyosho1

Don't waste your money on a temp gun. Temp guns do absolutely nothing when tuning an engine. Tuning should be done with the ear and performance. Engines run at variuos temperatures depending on the engine, fuel, altitude and climate.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:48 PM
hpi apollo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

while i do agree with you, its still a good idea to have one, sometimes your engine can run voer 300 with a good tune and you dont know it ebcause there isnt enough cooling, its good to use them, but not to set your engine by