Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Flying Styro Kit

Old 11-17-2004, 09:24 PM
CA-15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying Styro Kit

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a Flying Styro Kit aircraft. Would somebody like to offer some feedback on their quality, ease of final assembly, flight handling etc. I have read a few articles about them but would like to hear non “press release” information.

Thanks

Nicholas
Old 11-19-2004, 02:30 AM
Woody 51

Default RE: Flying Styro Kit

Which one?

If it's any of the electric powered R/C prop models, such as the P40, you'll need to do the 4th channel Rudder Conversion as outlined on the Hobby Lobby website.

The scale prop causes their models to yaw hard to the left through torque.
Note that the F/S prop models in the Hobby Lobby video's have all had this conversion done.

If you build in a working rudder, they fly o.k., with one exception, the Spitfire IX.

It's best described as "slippery." Not impossible, but best left to a very experienced R/C flyer.

If you can master it, it looks great, but if all you've flown is GWS type stuff, then leave the Spit alone for now.

As for building, they're much like the Alfa models, but the Vacu-form ABS parts for the Super Detailing can be a headache.

Ask anyone who has built a Vacu-form scale kit. They are very tricky if you don't know how, not like an injection moulded Plastic kit, such as made by Revell.

Allow about 25-30 hours to put one together, if your going to fit all the scale undercarriage etc.

Incidentally, the scale undercarriage is plugged in for static display and removed for flight.

The models are too small for effective working retracts.

The exception is the Stuka. F/S recommend fitting foam wheels in this model if you intend trying to fly it off and onto the ground.

Zdenek Fryc at Euromodels in Sydney (http://www.euromodels.com.au/index.htm) is putting a F/S Stuka together. Contact him and ask him to keep you in the picture
Old 11-19-2004, 07:40 AM
woodduck-RCU

Which kit are you considering? I built the P-38 Lightning an love it!! I hvae had a couple of minor crashes and the repairs were easy.
The P-38 is a great flying plane and with 2 Mega 16/7/5 motors and a 2100 1.1 lipo is very agile and quick. I have never buitl an Alpha model warbird but they look better.

Woodduck
Old 11-19-2004, 04:37 PM
Woody 51

Woody, (from another Woody)

The F/S P38 has intriqued me for some time. I have been waiting for someone to do a review before deciding whether or not to commit my hard earned on one. Tell us more please.

Does it have any of the torque problems that the single prop F/S models have or do F/S get around it by having each prop rotate in the opposite direction as the real P38 did?

The Alfa's are made of the same foam as the F/S ones and are very quick builders. Alfa didn't go the way of F/S with all the super detail stuff, so building time is cut right back.

A couple of hours and your done.

Quality wise, I don't think there is really that much difference between the 2 brands.

Flying wise the Alfa's are superb. The FW-190 looks fantastic in the air and the MIG 15 D/F is excellent.

None of the Alfa's have any real vices, though the factory recommended control throws are a little on the generous side. I have reduced them by 2-3 mm on all my Alfa's.

I use Lipoly packs in all of them. Only way to go.

Motor wise, Brushless in my Alfa EDF's and the stock Speed 300/5:1 gearbox in my Alfa props.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:56 PM
CA-15

Thanks Woody and Woodduck,

I am interested in the Focker-Wolf, of the FSK aircraft.
I’m pretty familiar with styrene and P.C. Thermo Formed parts, as an industrial designer I have put together plenty of prototypes using this construction process. I was wondering about the 4 th channel, think I will add the rudder option.
I have made contact with Zdenek from Euromodels.
If I am happy with the FW190 I also have my eyes on the LA7.
Although my interest is in flying these little distractions, I also have a project in mind, and not being very familiar with commercial foam model aircraft construction would like to see a variety of construction possibilities.

Thanks again for your help

Nicholas.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:14 PM
derailed

i bought the corsairII
opened the box,looked at it
closed the box and tossed it in the corner
looks good but sure don't like the instruction
someday, i'll build it if i can get a vesa55 fan and motor
Old 11-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Woody 51

The LA-7 is a beaut flier. Goes like the powers of.... with an MPJET Outrunner up front.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:40 PM
FlynBuzz

A buddy of mine just got a ME 109 F/S kit. He's new to the hobby, and as much as I tried to talk him out of it he insisted on getting it. I have to agree with derailed, the instructions leave VERY little to be desired. Plus, the guy he got it from (on EBay) told him that if he went with a brushless motor he would not need a gear box, but I can't figure out how in the world to mount the motor and prop without one. Has anyone else tried to do this? How did you accomplish it?