Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Gonna build by first kit, what do I ReallY need?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Gonna build by first kit, what do I ReallY need?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Merkaba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gonna build by first kit, what do I ReallY need?

A gasser maybe a Sig something extra or some 3d capable kit or sport kit, no bigger than 60 size or maybe a stick 1.20 but thats it. Do I really need a jig and magnets and all that? I've always been scared of kits but I need to get over it. Anyways, chime in and help me out.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:03 PM
MadDriver

Default RE: Gonna build by first kit, what do I ReallY need?

Eh, you're better off with a trainer for your first build... trust me on this. As far for what you need, you don't really need all that fancy stuff that a lot of people on here have. Some of them just make the build easier, but are not necessary. Just take a look at RCKen's build thread in the beginners section, it tells you what basic tools you will need. If you don't start with a trainer... that fear of kits is just going to grow once you open the box.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A "gasser" is a gasoline powered kit.

The Sig Somethin' Extra is a glow powered model.

There's 4 types of power in RC airplanes:
Lift--wind and thermal lift
Electric
Glow
Gas

If your an accomplished pilot and want to build a kit in the .60--1.20 size there are a TON of them available.

You don't need magnets or a fancy building gadgets. All you need is tools and a flat building surface. There are a lot of threads in this forum that will tell you what tools you need to build that first kit. Try doing a search on tools and items needed to build.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:52 AM
Merkaba

Oh yea, sorry...glow. i have at U can do 46. I wouldnt mind building a Sig trainer just because they seem to fly so nicely. Would a something extra be that much more difficult?
Old 03-12-2007, 06:01 AM
fokker20planes

Confidence! That's the most important thing you need.
Okay after you have given yourself a healthy dose of confidence, read the instructions to the kit so many times that you almost have the building sequence memorized. This will also give some info on what tools you will need. I do a lot of building with nothing more than an exacto knife and a fine tooth hobby saw. If you find a building term or step you don't understand, ask here and I'm sure you will get an answer. My experience with the four star 40 is it builds as easy as a lot of trainers.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:51 AM
rcdivot

ORIGINAL: Merkaba

Oh yea, sorry...glow. i have at U can do 46. I wouldnt mind building a Sig trainer just because they seem to fly so nicely. Would a something extra be that much more difficult?
The sig something extra practically falls together and is a very easy kit to build. As far as flying one, it's not for a beginner.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:08 AM
rcdivot

Try a 4 Star 60 or a Goldberg Tiger 60
Old 03-12-2007, 01:00 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

No, you don't need to start with a trainer. If you're flyign a U Can do, the trainer will be ho-hum. (And some trainers are more advanced than some advanced kits!)

Just about any kit from Sig or Great Planes will be a good introduction. Mind you, some are more advanced than others!!

I would suggest you start with the Sig Something Extra. Goes together easily, and requiers minimal skills & tools. And is a great advanced flyer. You'll proabbly get a kick out of it!

The Sig Kobra or Cougar, although dated, are also an easy-ish build..

The Sig 4-star is typically THE plane desinged for your first build..

As for tools:
Knife (X-acto and 'box cutter')
Rulers 12" & 36"
T pins
1/4 Sheet Gyprock (what I use as my building surface. you can cut on it, and stick pins in it..)
razor saw (nice to have)
sand paper in various grits (80, 120, 150, 220)
sanding blocks & sanding bar
triangle from a kid's school geometry set. Or a nice set of engneeinr's / machininst squares
screw drivers (phillips & slot; small & medium)
small wrenchs
drill & bits.
wax paper (to put down over the plans, so you don't glue everthign to the plans!
tape
various heavy things, to use as hold donws, and secure things as the glue sets.
popsicle sticks, to mix epoxy.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:27 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

i found that no matter how prepared i am to build a kit, i make trips to the LHS once a week because i need "one more thing"...sometimes i beleive i spend more on gas going to the hobby store than i actually to on the plane that i'm building, so work some gas money into your budget!!

The things i COULD NOT live without while building:

Lots of exacto blades
a couple of exacto knives, cuz they are always under something were you can't find them
razor saw w/ mitre box
sanding bars in a few lengths
sanding sponges
fine tip sharpie
pencil
18" ruler
6" ruler
two right triangles
lots of pins!! i build on top of sheet rock

and like Fokker said...CONFINDENCE!! and don't be afraid to improvise the build to your liking!!
Old 03-13-2007, 03:41 PM
MadScientist

I like building on that dense blue foam that they use for insulation in walls. You have to make sure that the piece you're using is dead flat, but once you get that, it's a great surface to build on. Pins go in easily, and you can cut parts on it and not worry about dulling your blade if you cut too deep.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:22 PM
ag4ever

I build on my kitchen table. (My wife actually approved the building location, isn't she sweet!)

On the kitchen table I have placed the 1" polystyrene insulation, and on top of that i have the acoustical ceiling tiles. I shim the tiles to a dead flat level with strips of computer paper. Once it is dead flat, I pin the corners of the ceiling tile to the foam. This layering allows me plenty room to put my push pins in and have a sturdy support on them.

My current trainer was built on the foam alone, but I found it to not hold the push pins as well as the ceiling tiles.

It also helps that I am in contruction and can get cases of tile for free (free to me at least, it is good being near the top).
Old 03-25-2007, 08:50 PM
sledge_78
My Feedback: (24)

Merkaba,

I would suggest for your first kit a Top Flite "Contender". The quality is good, the instructions are very good and progmatic. The Contender will take anywhere from a 40 to a 61 two stroke. It is a good looker, a great flier, and easy to build. The Gold Edition kit provides built in tabs and guides so you can build the wing straight, warp free. Oh yes, the kit costs only $79. You can download the instruction manual free from great Planes/Top Flite.

Sledge_78
Old 03-26-2007, 03:06 AM
vintageflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Wow Yeah.. The Contender is a good plane. Fun to build and a great flying plane.
Also worth mentioning is the Goldberg Falcon 56 MKIII. Has a fully symetrical wing and an airfoil stab. Also a GreatPlanes Sportster 40 or 60. I think the Sportster would be the best for your build, the parts are machined, its very easy to build, and the plane is very very nice.
No matter what you build, you will never be more nervous or satisfied as you will when you maiden your plane... A feeling you just cant explain

I build on hollow core doors from the local hardware stores... very true and flat, and cheap too.

DM
Old 03-28-2007, 10:25 AM
ericguevara

The Sig Somthin' Extra is a really nice kit. You could open the box throw in some CA, shake it a few times and a airplane would fall out. The most important thing to have when building a kit is a truly flat building board. Once you have a flat work surface you will need somthing that you will be able to push pins into. I have used ceiling tiles with great results, I just flip them upside down so that the textured surface is on the bench. You can find them at Lowes or Home Depot fairly cheap. Next on the list would be t-pins. You can buy them at the hobby shop or at a craft store. After you have your bulding surface and your pins I would suggest wax paper to cover the plans so that your project does not stick to them when you start gluing things together. The maual of the kit should tell you everything that you should need as far as glues and tools. My parting shot is to make sure to have a assortment of sand paper and plenty of NO.11 razor blades for your hobby knife. Using dull blades will tear the balsa instead of cutting it. I could write a whole book on building kits, but I hope this helps a little. Be warned though once you start building you wont ever stop, ask my wife!
Good Luck,
Eric
Old 03-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Highflyer2
My Feedback: (1)

The prior posters have given you excellent advice. But I would like to stress patience as the overriding tool you will need. That and reading ahead in the manual will get you a well built aircraft no matter which plane you pick. Good luck on your build.

John
Old 03-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Alex7403

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know why, but ARFs tend to crush much more often then kits....

or look at it this way, if you see at the field and "old" RC airplane, like several years and flying, in 99% its built from a good kit.

SINCE I BUILT IT, I KNOW HOW GOOD MY AIRPLANE IS BUILT!

i was in a shock when i opened the box at first, couldnt belive this pile of wood will fly...

Still building my sig mid star 40. and if these errands called life wouldnt happened everyday i would rather build my kit.

not so long ago i saw cable planes covered with supermarket plastic bags, thats what i call craftsmanship,

to take gold and spoil it everybody can, but to transfer Sh*t into gold that requires more skill.

Good luck

Alex
Old 03-29-2007, 10:32 AM
rcuman

Exacto Blades.
Dremel.
T-pins.
Metal Ruler. (1-ft)
Tape. (To hold down plans to board)
Wax sheet. (To put over plans)
Epoxy. (5 minute and 30 minute)
CA Glue. (Medium and Thin)
Building Board. (Explained below)

When I put my first kit together (TF-P-47) I only had the above tools on hand.

Materials after you get addicted to the hobby.
Scroll Saw.
Band Saw.
Bench Sander.
Vise.
Table Drill.
Bigger work surfaces.
Planes.
Engines.
Radio Equipment

I put together my own building boards together pretty cheap. I used 1"x2" board, 2'x4' Particle board, 2'x4' Ceiling Tile. Glue the ceiling tile to the particle board using liquid nails. Use the 1"x2" board as a border around the ceiling tile so that the particle board does not warp. If you build two of these cut the 1"x2" border even with the ceiling tile on one side then on one of the ends so for bigger projects you can put the two boards together. Here is a picture of my building table. When I get finished with a project I put the two boards on the bottom shelf giving me the top shelf to fix the recently crashed project.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:39 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

You want a really good flat surface? For years I've been building on a hollow luaun door I bought at Home Depot for something like $24. They come in all sizes but you want the flat side models obviously (somehow a six panel door just doesn't work for building on...go figure).

On top of the door I use one of either two materials: a sheet of Homesote (a paper type old time insulation) or a piece of 1/2" sheetrock (also known as gypsum board or drywall). You can stick pins in either one but the sheetrock is a bit tougher to penetrate but it holds really well. When the side you're building on gets really messed up, just flip it over and get another building surface.

The rest of the essentials are X-acto knife handle and #11 blades by the bushel, a Zona saw (sorry the rest are just kind of crappy if you ask me), some right angle triangles, a good straight edge (2ft. and 4ft.), T-pins, assorted super glues and epoxy, a couple sanding blocks and sandpaper (grits from 60 to 220 or 320) and to make your life easy, a Dremel tool with an assortment of attachments such as cut-off wheels, drum sanders, burrs, etc., etc. That makes a pretty good start.