Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

New Mini Electric is here the Falcon 3D!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

New Mini Electric is here the Falcon 3D!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:00 AM
donlru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Mini Electric is here the Falcon 3D!!

Ok, Thanks....The first gyro came with the bird(New mid Jan) and the second one I just got....No charge from HL.

The Logictech 2100T gyro can be used with these receiver types....Futaba, JR and Logictech,...what kind is the Falcons?

I will probably use the Futaba 3154 digital micro servo with this.....Anyone with experience see a problem with this. I'll be using stock Tx and Rx.....Best pricing for this stuff??......Thanks....

[quote]ORIGINAL: Simages

As Whirley Bird mentioned....... Probably a bad lot, and refund for bad gyro.

I asked about a gyro a few days back and got a really great tip from quickster post #4460 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5553682 on a very competative GYRO from logitech.

See my post #4461 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5

Old 03-22-2007, 06:23 AM
stevennh

TheRone,

I got a 8, 9 and 10T pinion (2.3mm) from helidirect.com. It looks like they are currently sold out of the 9T pinions... The 10T ran kind of hot (~170 deg.) so I went to the 9T. I still get good head speed and the motor temp stays under 140 or so. The new pinions have a set screw but I still used green locktite. I had to cut a few MM off the shaft on the cool-red to get the pinion to fit without hitting the tail boom.

Steve
Old 03-22-2007, 06:51 AM
pesky1234

hobby looby is always out of stock for parts on the falcon 3d,and are the only people selling it, im throwing ny in the garbage there is no way im waiting 2 months for parts to arrive,if your going to sell people a product that will break you must carry the parts, ive owned the falcon 3d for a few months and its the biggest mistake ive made in a long time you get what you pay for ,pretty much a piece of junk with cheesy linkages and brittle plastic,but thats doesnt bother as much as NOT HAVING PARTS IN STOCK and backorders 2 months long no way, dont buy this choper.[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 03-22-2007, 06:59 AM
Gary Morris

Do I detect a slight bit of uneasiness there Pesky? Maybe you got a lemon, or maybe you just haven't mastered flying yet, either way it probably won't matter because one key factor when learning anything new is a positive attitude. Hobby Lobby can't produce the parts for the Falcon since they are just a retailer. The Falcon has become extremely popular world wide and apparently Art-Tech can't keep up with demand. If it's as you say piece of junk with cheesy linkages then why would it be so popular??? Anyway I can somewhat sympathize with you in that no one wants to wait for weeks on spare parts. Many of the parts can be used from other helicopters, Shogun, Zoom, Trex, Dragnous II, so don't give up just yet and smile it takes dozens less face muscles to Smile than frown!

Gary Morris

ORIGINAL: pesky1234

hobby looby is always out of stock for parts on the falcon 3d,and are the only people selling it, im throwing ny in the garbage there is no way im waiting 2 months for parts to arrive,if your going to sell people a product that will break you must carry the parts, ive owned the falcon 3d for a few months and its the biggest mistake ive made in a long time you get what you pay for ,pretty much a piece of junk with cheesy linkages and brittle plastic,but thats doesnt bother as much as NOT HAVING PARTS IN STOCK and backorders 2 months long no way, dont buy this choper.[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 03-22-2007, 07:05 AM
Simages

I could, but why dismantle a perfectly good stock Falcon? I'm building a totally upgraded Falcon with the cool red and I did purchase pinion gears from HL however; I didn't see any 10T like the Falcon's stock. Although I'm getting way away from the stock, I wanted to keep gear ratio the same because of the catter regarding the Cool Red running at a "HIGHER TEMP". Should have my Align 9-10-11 setscrew set this week to test. Otherwise I'll probably just locktite the 11T from JET MP.

ORIGINAL: ct420

Simages: Why not just use the 10T pinion from your old motor? I think 9T would work, but your headspeed would be lower, and frankly, it isn't exactly rippin' with a 10T

I think hobby lobby sells pinions that might work. You should ask them about it. If not, maybe helidirect... They have a pretty good stock of pinions.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:05 AM
Gary Morris

Donlru, the Falcon uses a receiver similar to the Futaba so the Logitech would work with it. As for gyros the most well known and easy to install and setup is the Futaba GY-240, followed by the GY-401 which offers radio control of the gain, it has a limit control to adjust the servo limit, it has a digital switch so you can run either standard or digital servos and it has a delay setting. The new Logitech is becoming very popular and is even smaller than the GY-401 and from what I've read is just as good. The price though on these gyros are about twice that of the Art-Tech gyro.

Gary Morris

[quote]ORIGINAL: donlru

Ok, Thanks....The first gyro came with the bird(New mid Jan) and the second one I just got....No charge from HL.

The Logictech 2100T gyro can be used with these receiver types....Futaba, JR and Logictech,...what kind is the Falcons?

I will probably use the Futaba 3154 digital micro servo with this.....Anyone with experience see a problem with this. I'll be using stock Tx and Rx.....Best pricing for this stuff??......Thanks....

ORIGINAL: Simages

As Whirley Bird mentioned....... Probably a bad lot, and refund for bad gyro.

I asked about a gyro a few days back and got a really great tip from quickster post #4460 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5553682 on a very competative GYRO from logitech.

See my post #4461 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5

Old 03-22-2007, 07:12 AM
Simages

Steve your post has helped me as well......... as new as I am probably would matter to me about a "slower head speed". What does matter is the temp and 140 +- sounds good. As it's been mentioned previously regarding the shortening of the shaft a bit. Anxious to see how the set screw pinion wheel will fit…….. I placed a small order as well.
ORIGINAL: stevennh

TheRone,

I got a 8, 9 and 10T pinion (2.3mm) from helidirect.com. It looks like they are currently sold out of the 9T pinions... The 10T ran kind of hot (~170 deg.) so I went to the 9T. I still get good head speed and the motor temp stays under 140 or so. The new pinions have a set screw but I still used green locktite. I had to cut a few MM off the shaft on the cool-red to get the pinion to fit without hitting the tail boom.

Steve
Old 03-22-2007, 07:19 AM
xplorur

sorry your unhappy with the falcon.
don’t throw it in the garbage, take a beep breath.
Its a hobby
they are out of parts because its a popular model. and they are trying to get art Tec to step up their quality control.
post a list of the parts you need some of us may have extra parts.
by the way if you search a couple of days back there is a post with a link of a guy who is selling falcon parts.
peace
X

ORIGINAL: pesky1234

Old 03-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Darren D.

Hi guys,
First off this will be my first e-heli. It looked like a good deal for the first time electric pilot. I fly nitro now and wanted something that was clean and easy to fly spur of the moment.
I've read a lot of this thread and at times I was ready to buy! And then I would read a few more post and now I'm not sure.
I don't mind spending a little money but I want something reliable.
Question is, Will the Falcon fill that bill or can you suggest another choice,
Thanks
Darren
Old 03-22-2007, 07:36 AM
quickster47

Darren,

Well, there are many of us that have Falcons and have had minimal problems. I guess we fell into the early adoptors group and of course, we did expect some problems because the product is new. I do know for a fact that Hobby-Lobby is working with Art-Tech to help them clean up their act so it is in fact, a better product with higher quality.

And for sure there are better helis on the market but you will pay considerably more.

Mine has performed great and I have made only a few mods. Some have made no mods and have no problems. Others have issues right out of the box. But then that is really not unique to the Falcon.

The Falcon is new. Things are getting better and will continue to do so. Hopefully that will happen sooner than later.

Carl
Old 03-22-2007, 07:56 AM
Mr Nice Guy

Hey Carl,
Have you installed the DX7 yet? I got mine most of the way figured out but the Gyro has got me stumped. I can change it to rate mode with the "gear" switch on the transmitter and it works but on HH mode has severe tail wag. Not sure how to set it so it dosen't do that. Other than that it's great. Unfortunately it's been too windy to fly lately so I've been playing around in my living room a little. I think I better stop that before I destroy something though Just been itcin' to get this thing back in the air. Later

Lee
Old 03-22-2007, 10:24 AM
quickster47

Lee,

Well, I now have my Falcon back together and have been trying to fly here but it has been too windy. I wanted to make sure it was back up and running okay before I changed something on it. Hate having to deal with more than one unknown at a time.

Hopefully this weekend I will get a chance to install the 6100 receiver and switch ove to the DX7.

Carl
Old 03-22-2007, 11:39 AM
thermal7

In regards to the frequency mix-up on my Falcon 3D from Hong Kong, I did some testing with the Air Tech transmitter and found that a Chan 46 GWS transmit crystal does work in my transmitter that came with a 40.810 mhz transmit crystal. Crystal Set must be marked wrong. So the transmitter may be multiband and have tuned RF section which covers 35 40 and 72 mhz. The receiver may also be multi band capable but I have no sincle conversion crystals on 72 mhz to test it. Will try a different set of crystals this weekend borrowing the set from a buddy. When checking with a RF Field Strength Meter the signal level appears to be the same for either frequency 40810 mhz and 72 MHZ Chan 46. Apparently GWS transmitter crystals will work on the Air Tech transmitter and the frequency is right on the money. I have contacted the seller asking about the receiver whether it is dual band or not and I requested a new crystall set for 72 mhz to try out and or a new receiver if the Falcon 3D receiver is band specific. The sellers email communications have been excellent so hope to get this all worked out soon. I guess this is an isolated case with my unit. Ralph
Old 03-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Tbird56

A replacement Falcon arrived today. It must have been crashed caus the canopy was crunched (thats OK since I didn't send mine back) only problem was that the left side rod was broken off the frame that holds the canopy. No biggie, I can handle the mechanical stuff. I received more than I returned so I'm happy, so far. The gyro works and hope the ESC holds up. Too windy to fly today but when I do I will be at 4 feet for the first 3 batt. charges. I'm gunshy with this bird.

If I had saved the 50 bucks and ordered from the E-bay drop ship clowns I would be selling a parts machine. I made a sizeable commintment to this bird (lots of parts and upgrades) expecting it to take me to the first level of 3D.

HL is doing it's best to back this bird, but I hate it when a waiter says when serving my drink "you are going to have to be patient as we are short handed in the kitchen and we just ran out of prine rib". Their problem is now my problem.

Still a fun hobby.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:02 PM
thermal7

Update on my Falcon 3D from Hong Kong frequency problem. The seller advised me that he spoke to the Air Tech Factory Technician and confirmed the receiver and transmitter units are the same for 40 and 72 MHZ and the only difference being the installed crystal sets. He is sending me another set for 72 MHZ. This is good news for me. Maybe be tesing mine in another week if he sends the crystals the way he sent the original Falcon 3D. Took only 4 days from Hong Kong to my door which is near Sacramento, CA. My order came with the extra set of Carbon Blades. They look very high quality. Is there a reason why the HL units come with the wood blades? Are they better than the carbonb blades for some reason? Just wondering, Guess I need to order my CPD4 now from FMA Direct for 70 bucks. From all I have read thats cheap insurance for beginners. I know its going to be a challenge compared to my Blade CX, I do have the G2 simulator and I have been doing OK with it but flying the real thing with real parts to break is a totally different ballgame. Ralph
Old 03-22-2007, 03:11 PM
quickster47

Ralph,

Unless I am mistaken, I would very carefully check those blades. You prabably only have one set of real carbon fiber blades. The second set is actually foam-filled with a carbon fiber type covering.

Now I could be wrong and that is why I think you should very carefully check them.

And actually, his advertising is not illegal or wrong but maybe a bit decepticve because he states "it comes with an extra set of carbon fiber blades." And yes, it does come with one set of true carbon fiber blades.

Carl
Old 03-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Gary Morris

Actually I don't recommend the carbon fiber blades, they won't break in a crash and all the energy will be transferred to the main shaft and frame, hence more damage. I do have a few sets of carbon fiber blades but I don't fly them on my stock Falcon. Actually the woodies do a good job, are light and will break in a crash saving much more expensive and time consuming to replace parts. The quote "extra set of carbon blades" are probably carbon film shrink wrap, the first set of blades I had for the Falcon were made of this and they fluttered horribly. They do make good paint stirs though!

Gary
Old 03-22-2007, 04:31 PM
sgomes

I don't know anything about xheli.com, but the party just got busier.

http://www.xheli.com:80/re450fm6ccal2.html

Can't really tell much from the photos, but it looks a little chincy to me; however - $299 rtf (no charger?), all ball links, belt drive tail, 120 deg. servo setup.

Thoughts?

Steve
Old 03-22-2007, 06:35 PM
funflyerr

Lee/ Mr Nice Guy

For the Dx7, get to the ATV/EPA/Travel Adjust setting screen, and go through the channels to the second screen, to 'gear'.

Then you reduce the top value to reduce gyro gain in heading hold mode until the tail stops twitching. The lower number controls gain in rate mode.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:54 PM
kapster

Gary Morris,

You are right, the so called carbon blades are covered in carbon fiims only. I bought some wood blades as spares. I was so happy when i got it because I paid for wood and they gave me carbon. Only after I crashed and broke the blade I notices that it is wood inside the carbon film. Fooled me there.

To all falcon owners,
I'm the guy selling parts but I suggest u try your best to get locally first because shipment charges from my place to USA will burn a hole in your pocket.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:02 PM
DZS

What is the lightest 3 cell 2000-2200 mah lipo battery i can get for the falcon
Old 03-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Mr Nice Guy

ORIGINAL: funflyerr

Lee/ Mr Nice Guy

For the Dx7, get to the ATV/EPA/Travel Adjust setting screen, and go through the channels to the second screen, to 'gear'.

Then you reduce the top value to reduce gyro gain in heading hold mode until the tail stops twitching. The lower number controls gain in rate mode.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Man! You rock! I've been trying to figure this out for over a week. I just set it at 70% and it seems to hold real nice now. At least for a very short hover in the apartment. No tail wag at all. It wass all over the place before. I really apreciate the help. I'll post my settings sometime this weekend for you other DX-7 guys since all seems to work well now. Now if I can just get a day without a ton of wind I can fly it again. Woohooo I'm all excited now......Thanks again,

Lee
Old 03-22-2007, 11:28 PM
Mr Nice Guy

The stock one is really pretty light. If you wanted to you could get the three cell lipo for a Blade CP. Those are really light but you'll have super short run times. Why do you want it so light? I found that with my heavier 2100mah batt it's much more stable and resistant to wind gusts and you get double the run time of the stock batt. Seems to be a trade off light = low capacity. Hope this helps.

Lee
Old 03-23-2007, 12:27 AM
DZS

i want the lightest battery with the most mAh, somewhere around 2000 mAh, and is about the weight of the stock battery so i can get this thing balanced. There is not much room to move things around with the falcon. I have a 2100 mAh in it now and it is nose heavy.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:28 AM
rhersh

Hey guy's thanks for the idea's . It's even kinda fun modifing these birds !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.