Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:02 PM
JustErik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

Damn!! 7 pounds is a bit more than I expected. However, that yields a wing loading of less than 22 ounces per square foot, so it should still make an excellent sport ship. I suspect 3D performance will suffer somewhat, but it should be very responsive and still slow down quite well when landing. Before swapping out engines, I would at least give it a shot as it is. Who knows, it might do much better than the numbers would indicate.

Edited to add: I'm afraid I have no experience with the reversing device. However, I'm sure someone else will have some wisdom to share.

Erik
Old 03-24-2007, 11:34 PM
Ralph L.

I am wondering what (airracers) plane ways he is running a Evolution .61 and it ways 3.5oz then mine. Also he said he add 1.5oz to the left tail feather. So I wonder how good his flys and also how well it can do 3D. If this thing won't fly 3D because its to heavey well its no good to me. HUMMMMM???? Hey Airracer if you get a chance please let me know what your Reactor ways. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:50 AM
airracer2004
Banned
My Feedback: (16)

My Reactor weighs in at 7.1 lbs flight ready without fuel and I used all metal geared servos. As for 3-d flight, I'm not real good at 3-d yet, however, it will hover at @ 1/3 throttle, does a great knife edge and in more skilled hands, I'm sure she will do any 3-d move. The Evo .61 more than makes up for the extra weight. As for the 1.5 oz in tailfeather, it is more to offset the muffler weight hanging off the right side.

I'm taking her out today to a club and will let someone better at 3-d give it some test flights and get back to ya asap
Old 03-25-2007, 01:50 PM
rc darin

I guess I should be happy, 5.25 lbs with a ys 63 , 9650's 1700 6 vlt battery.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Ernie Misner

Celidon, post your leaking front bearing/seal on the glow engine forum. They all leak some there. Is it causing a problem with the way it runs?

I have the EMS servo reversing Y-cord and we'll see how that works. The small screw is usually for centering one servo to match the other.

Here's a reactor question.... It looks like the four screws that hold the cowling in place screw into the triangular stock that's on the back side of the firewall, right?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 03-25-2007, 10:07 PM
bluehawkbm

Ralph, The screw on the reversing y-harness is for adjustment if one side of the elevator doesn't quite match the other. Turning the screw will make one servo move which ever direction that you need. I have never used these but a friend of mine had one on most of his planes with split elevators. They work pretty good but one problem he always had was he would have his elevators perfect one day and then come out the next weekend to fly and the elevators would be off slightly causing him to do alot a adjusting. He finallly bought a 9CAPs.
I will say that if you don't want to upgrade your transmitter the reversing y-harness is about the best solution.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:34 AM
jusplanecrazy

Ernie, Alot of us in my club are using the older round servo grommets on our cowls.They work pretty well,and most of us that have been in this awhile,have some in a parts drawer somewhere...Finishing up my Reactor .With a Saito 80 up front I weigh at right on 6#
I,m going to try opening with a APC 15x4w prop with a 14x4w as a aback up.The 3d guys tell me that the bigger the disc you can get up front the better.Won,t get a test flight in for a few weeks yet.The weather here in Ohio is finally starting to act cival,but our field needs a lot of work.have to get the tractors out of storage so we can get it rolled.It,s an old land fill site,and it heaves pretty badly.
Been a long winter.I am ready !!
Old 03-26-2007, 01:41 AM
Ernie Misner

Hey Justplanecrazy (me too!) Do you mean you have a Saito 82 or an older 80? If you wait another year or two they'll probably have an 80 in a 56 size case.

Are you putting the grommets between the cowl and the fuse, or just under the head of the screws, with a washer?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 03-26-2007, 02:39 AM
jusplanecrazy

Ernie, That surprised me.Didn,t expect a reply this time of night.....Any way,the way I do it is ; Cut the bottom of the grommet
off,just leaving the stem,and the top.Drill out your cowel the size of the stem,and push it through.Then install the screw with a washer
until it just compresses the grommet.You can usr a tiny dab of ca to hold the gromment in,so it don,t end up in the grass.
I,m using the older model 80. Thought about a 82,but this 80 has been on the shelf kickin ,and screamin for some action. It,s a few years old ,but I don,t think it has an hour on it yet...Did not hear anything about a new 80.Wow ! In the skin of a 56..That could
bring the Reactor down to probably 5 1/2 pounds or less.That would be a bottle rocket.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:09 AM
joshjonesjammin

How do yall think the saito FA 100 would do in this plane???? Is there anyone running this on this plane???
Old 03-31-2007, 08:08 AM
jusplanecrazy

Hey Josh,
I think the Saito 100 might be too much .As much as we hate to admit it ,you can overpower an airframe.I think it would max out with the 82.Now,that,s just my opinion.Have not heard of anyone going with the 100.Theres a C/G issue too to consider.With my 80 I have to put my 6 volt Battery pack just ahead of the tail.I,m going to have to bulid a vertical sleeve within the fuse back there to slide it up into.Not enough room to lay it down.Still trying to figure out how I want to do that.Lot of issues with this plane if you don,t
go with the "suggested' servos,and power plant. Hope to finally get mine in the air in aweek or so.From what I,ve read on here it,s
going to be a lot of fun.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:58 AM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Here's a reactor question.... It looks like the four screws that hold the cowling in place screw into the triangular stock that's on the back side of the firewall, right?

Thanks,

Ernie
Hey Ernie, I talked with Dennis at the field the other day about some cowl screws he used. He used some nylon screws on his cowl. (they looked to be about 6-32) He said he adds some wood block where their going to go and taps into the wood for the screws. He said the nylon stretches a little bit when screwed in and they don't vibrate out. Looked nice too.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:49 PM
malcolmm

Finally got the first few flights on my Reactor with OS 55 AX. The motor seems to run well and has good power with a Pro Zinger 13 x 4, although it is running very rich at the moment.

Unfortnately there was a very strong crosswind, so it was tough to do much more than break in the motor. It just needed a couple of clicks of aileron to trim. Knife edge seems very good. Very nice knife edge spins. I'm using the recommended 3D travel, it looks like I need more elevator as it was hard to get a good flat spin.

Takeoffs were initially a bit of a pain. As others have mentioned it really wants to nose over (I fly on grass). I was using too much elevator to stop it from nosing over which made it tough to takeoff. Once I figured out that I should get rid of almost all the elevator after a few feet takeoffs were fine. Landing is fine too.

So far I'm very happy with my Reactor.

Malcolm
Old 04-02-2007, 07:57 AM
rclement

Well gents, I got started on my Reactor yesterday. Looks like everythings laid out fine and it looks to be a pretty straight forward build. I did some slotting on one of the two holes on the landing gear to push it forward just a bit. It should make a difference but this landing gear still looks pretty funky to me. Very strange. I looked at what it would take to add some landing gear to the bottom of the fuse instead and it seems that it would pretty much ruin the looks of the plane. Oh well.
I ordered the servos yesterday and maybe I'll get this bird into the air by next week. [X(]
Old 04-02-2007, 11:05 AM
joshjonesjammin

the reason i was asking about the saito fa 100 is because it is lighter than the os 70 surpass. so from what i have been looking at i dont see why it wouldnt work. I actually think it will be a great compination!!!!
Old 04-02-2007, 12:28 PM
JustErik

ORIGINAL: joshjonesjammin

the reason i was asking about the saito fa 100 is because it is lighter than the os 70 surpass. so from what i have been looking at i dont see why it wouldnt work. I actually think it will be a great compination!!!!

I'd do it in a heartbeat! Just make sure you use that left stick.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:21 PM
joshjonesjammin

Are yall using a y-harness on your elevators? And do yall think that a Futaba NR5RB Receiver NiCd 6V 1000mAh J battery would last long enough or what do yall suggest. And do you really need all of those servo extensions????
Old 04-02-2007, 02:32 PM
JustErik

Are yall using a y-harness on your elevators? And do yall think that a Futaba NR5RB Receiver NiCd 6V 1000mAh J battery would last long enough or what do yall suggest. And do you really need all of those servo extensions????
I used my transmitter's "ailevator" function to join the elevator halves together, but many have used the reversing y-harness with good results. A 6V, 1,000 maH battery is plenty.....but probably quite weighty and expensive. I'd suggest going here and get a niMH pack of similar capacity for less cost and ounces. As far as extensions, yep you need them all....but you might be able to get away with shorter ones. I used 18" extensions for the tail servos and 12" for the ailerons.

Erik
Old 04-02-2007, 03:20 PM
joshjonesjammin

well do yall thing that a Futaba NR5T Receiver NiCd Hump 6V 600mAh battery would be enough?? And what exactly is a reversing y- harness would the Futaba 6" Dual Servo Extension J work for the 2 elavator servos?
Old 04-02-2007, 03:41 PM
JustErik

well do yall thing that a Futaba NR5T Receiver NiCd Hump 6V 600mAh battery would be enough?? And what exactly is a reversing y- harness would the Futaba 6" Dual Servo Extension J work for the 2 elavator servos?
A reversing y-harness reverses the rotation of one of the two servos plugged into it. This is necessary to achieve proper surface movement on most dual-elevator setups. Here is a link to one such device. However, I know at least one person in this thread has managed to change the linkage such that a reversing y-harness is not needed. The 6V, 600 mAh pack you mentioned would also work fine. Once again, however, for the weight and price, there are better alternatives.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:12 PM
joshjonesjammin

Erik, i sure do apperciate all of your help!!!!

- Josh Jones
Old 04-03-2007, 08:08 AM
JustErik

My pleasure, Mr. Jones.

Just remember, free advice is often worth exactly what you paid for it.

Erik

Erik, i sure do apperciate all of your help!!!!

- Josh Jones
Old 04-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Ernie Misner

>>> Hey Ernie, I talked with Dennis at the field the other day about some cowl screws he used. He used some nylon screws on his cowl. (they looked to be about 6-32) He said he adds some wood block where their going to go and taps into the wood for the screws. He said the nylon stretches a little bit when screwed in and they don't vibrate out. Looked nice too >>>

INTERESTING Rob. I'll take a look at that for sure. I'm not sure how to add extra wood inside because of the triangle stock used there. We'll see. What type of servos did you decide to order?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 04-03-2007, 03:07 PM
rclement

Hey Ernie, I ordered the Hitec 225 MG's. [8D] How's your build coming along?
Old 04-05-2007, 04:00 AM
jusplanecrazy

Josh, If you have a computer radio you don,t need a servo reverser. You have to put each side in seperate channels,then link the two through your radio. 2 is the normal elevator channel,so you would plug the other one into ,say 5.Then you link them by making
ch.2 the master,and ch 5 the slave.The beauty of this is,you can trim each side seperatly to really fine tune your elevater.Now you can,t do this with some of the older radios,like the 6xe,and I,m not sure about the 7c.I can only speak to Futaba on this .I have a 9 super c,and it is a great radio.You can do just about any thing with it.I,m putting my ailerons ,and my elevators on seperate channels
Takes up 4 channels,but you can really fine tune your control surfaces....Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.