Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Why does it fly?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Why does it fly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:08 AM
Willdo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why does it fly?

quote ORIGINAL: BMatthews
What's the big deal? I've hear that on the F14,F16 and F15's that more than 1/2 the lift comes from the fuselage and inter engine areas of the strakes and bodies as opposed to the actual wing panels.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not a big deal my friend, just a simple enquiry to find out from someone who might know how it actually flies, and I got one answer which I will be happy with ( unless someone comes up with a better one).

Slightly different situation to that of an F16 etc travelling at the speeds that they do, - what's the betting against it out manoeuvering an F16 at 3 or 4 mph!

Whereabouts in BC is Burnaby ? - one of my sons spent most of last year in BC (Fernie and Vancouver Island), - got down to about -40 there, not great flying weather!
Old 03-27-2007, 04:05 AM
Willdo

Dick,
BTW, I did like the attachment - I'm not sure of it's significance in this thread, but I guess it could apply to the odd individual I have come across in other threads!
Old 03-27-2007, 04:45 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It seems to have a good amount of wing area, however unconventionally shaped. If it is not all that heavy and has some power, there is no reason why it would not fly.
I recall a site for full-size home-built aircraft (Rans?) mentioning that whatever all the engineers say, the primary thing that makes an aircraft fly is money
Old 03-27-2007, 08:10 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my Fantom- built in 1980- was a attempt at making a .049 powered racer - It weighed 12 ounces all up and had two servos mixed to elevons. 200sq inches. not a good racer --
stability was really pretty good and at speed would do a half as sed roll at full elevon deflection
the airfoil - just a high point for structural.
now (ta da) I am going to stick a small electric motor and some lipos in it and try it again - I can beat original weight and power as airframe total was 8 ounces with the original TEE DEE /batts n servos/rx .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66378.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	651141  
Old 03-27-2007, 08:15 AM
mesae

It's a "stand way off and squint" scale Phantom!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:24 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it is an exact scale !
At least,compared to the "scale" aerobatic crap sold for big gassers -YAKS especially
anyway - I wanted to see if no dihedral and simple tip plates would work -instead of using ailerons. it does -but low speed performance gets pretty dismal
Old 03-27-2007, 09:18 AM
mesae

I'm with you on those Yaks and such. All those swiss cheese laser cut plywood slab sided clones get a little monotonous. Still, they fly well. I miss building in earnest but with three kids and my full-scale flying pastime in addition to my real job, I get precious little time for it.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:06 PM
scratchonly

Aerodynamic experts have determined that a bumble bee cannot fly.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name them.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:02 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: scratchonly

Aerodynamic experts have determined that a bumble bee cannot fly.
had nothing to do with aerodynamics, it was based on the fact that they have to little a wing area for their weight/mass.

kc
Old 03-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Willdo

ORIGINAL: perttime

I recall a site for full-size home-built aircraft (Rans?) mentioning that whatever all the engineers say, the primary thing that makes an aircraft fly is money
This machine cost ZILCH (except the cost of an old secondhand motor and an old RC) the rest was from scrap. and it FLIES! - of course it's only a lowly model, but the same principle applies to models, - ARF's etc. as opposed to designing and building your own exciting machines!

The guy who made the above statement probably sat in his office, threw money at projects and let the engineers do all the hard work and worrying, and if it was successful he took all the glory - cos he was the leader of the team and he paid the money!
Old 03-27-2007, 05:09 PM
Villa

Hi Willdo
At least yours looks like an airplane, so it may fly. I designed and built the attached Flying Lawn Mower. Most people want to know how it can fly. I had a ball designing, testing, and modifying it. It now flys very well. It uses a 46 size engine and weighs about 7 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33177.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	651373  
Old 03-27-2007, 11:20 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Willdo

....Whereabouts in BC is Burnaby ? - one of my sons spent most of last year in BC (Fernie and Vancouver Island), - got down to about -40 there, not great flying weather!
Burnaby is a separate city but it's connected with Vancouver right down in the south western corner of the province. I've been through Fernie a couple of times on motorcycle trips. It's a quaint but very quiet place and gets the odd sprinkle of snow even in the summer thanks to being so high up and close to the Rocky Mountains. Usually it's hot as hades in the summer's there but now and then the Rockies funnel a current of very cold northern air down and then it's like winter in august.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:24 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Villa

Hi Willdo
At least yours looks like an airplane, so it may fly. I designed and built the attached Flying Lawn Mower. Most people want to know how it can fly. I had a ball designing, testing, and modifying it. It now flys very well. It uses a 46 size engine and weighs about 7 pounds.
Does it do a decent job of cutting and mulching while you're taxiing around?
Old 03-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Willdo

ORIGINAL: Villa

Hi Willdo
I designed and built the attached Flying Lawn Mower.
D'ya reckon if it had a blade it could hover too?

BM,
We stayed in Vancouver with my wife's relatives we loved it with those huge mountains in the background! - we found the people very friendly as well!
Old 03-28-2007, 02:36 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Willdo
ORIGINAL: perttime

The guy who made the above statement probably sat in his office, threw money at projects and let the engineers do all the hard work and worrying, and if it was successful he took all the glory - cos he was the leader of the team and he paid the money!
... you take it too seriously ...
Whatever model we manage to get in the air costs something, you did not get the old parts and scraps for free.
With full scale the cost is on a different scale too. I took that statement as a tongue-in-cheek acknowledgement of the realities that a full-size builder/buyer is facing. And it was probably in a section that dealt with financing options.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:07 AM
Willdo

PERTTIME
I don't think you realise just how frugal this guy is ( not me by the way, - he's a guy I used to work with), - he got EVERYTHING virtually free, - believe me, the rubbish skip, or "dumpster" as the Americans call it, never really got full when he was around! - never wastes anything!

As for me being serious! you must be joking! - I can be serious when necessary of course, but I'm "tounge in cheek" most of the time, - that's me!

However in this case I'm being a little serious, - something I've figured out over the many years on this earth is that every joke is inspired by a serious thought.
As an engineer who has done the hard graft ( not in aircraft though) I've seen this sort of thing happen!
Old 04-02-2007, 07:24 AM
nexstar22

actually with planes such as f-16's, there lift is created by the wings, untill the angle of attack becomes so great that the lift is no longer generated by the air moving over the wings, but is actually created by the thrust of the engine alone...as for most rc planes the power to weight ratio is so great that the lift generated by the wings is really only needed for straight and level flight. thats why we can acheive crazy manuvers that cant be done in a real plane.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:06 AM
mesae

ORIGINAL: nexstar22

actually with planes such as f-16's, there lift is created by the wings, untill the angle of attack becomes so great that the lift is no longer generated by the air moving over the wings, but is actually created by the thrust of the engine alone...as for most rc planes the power to weight ratio is so great that the lift generated by the wings is really only needed for straight and level flight. thats why we can acheive crazy manuvers that cant be done in a real plane.
So are you saying that if the wings broke off an F-16 during a tight turn, or they broke off a 40% Edge during a harrier or a wall, nothing would happen? It would just keep flying at high alpha until the pilot tried to level it out, then it would fall from the sky?

Remember, even a stalled wing produces some lift.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did read of an incident where an F-15 2-seater had a collision and lost a significant amount of one wing panel. The airplane was controllable enough to be able to safely land. Wonder if that was an "urban legend" type of story, though.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:48 AM
mesae

ORIGINAL: Bax

I did read of an incident where an F-15 2-seater had a collision and lost a significant amount of one wing panel. The airplane was controllable enough to be able to safely land. Wonder if that was an "urban legend" type of story, though.
I heard or read something similar while I was in the USAF.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:58 AM
NRistow

Well, there is a picture, been going around for years along with the story.

[link=http://www.uss-bennington.org/phz-nowing-f15.html]one wing f15[/link]
Old 04-02-2007, 12:33 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: nexstar22

actually with planes such as f-16's, there lift is created by the wings,..................
an F-16 generates considerable lift from the fuselage wing blending allot like the LEX on the F-18s.

kc

Old 04-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Shoe

The way to achieve minimum induced drag (even for a modern fighter) is to have an elliptical lift distribution. A well-designed fuselage will "carry through" the wing lift with little or no dip in the lift distribution. This means that the most efficient fuselage will actually generate more lift per unit span than the wing.

That said, most fuselages would generate very little lift in the absence of the wing. Consider that wingtips themselves rarely generate much lift, but without the wingtips, the lift generated by the rest of the wing would be significantly less.

In the case of the F-15 with the missing wing, the lift on the "missing" side was generated mostly by the stabilator. If you were to try to create lift with the fuselage, you would load up the remaining wing an cause the aircraft to roll (unless you could completely "null out" the wing lift with aileron). If you estimate maximum lift coefficient of the F-15 stabilator and combine it with the area, you can determine the minimum landing speed for a given gross weight. For the case in question, this estimate comes out pretty close to the reported landing speed.

I don't think I would want to land on the boat minus a wing.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:54 PM
nexstar22

I guess what I ment to say was that when an f-16 climbs completely vertical, the plane is now being supported by the thrust of the engine and no longer the lift created by the wings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.