Notices

hawk pro tail rotor problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 09:52 PM
racer-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hawk pro tail rotor problem

Im having a problem getting the tail rotor to center after movement. In flight the tail wags constantly and adjusting the gain does no good. I tried tightening the L link that connects the tail pitch link to the control rod but that didnt do me any good...is this a common problem with the hawk and are there any fixes for this issue?
Old 03-30-2007, 10:03 PM
syclic

Default RE: hawk pro tail rotor problem

It is not a problem with the Hawk.

If your gain is not effecting the wag then I will bet there is a problem with the gyros mechanical installation (to hard a mounting, too long a servo arm) or software settings.

I would suspect that the software settings are not registering properly because you may not have the gain channel plugged into the RX port that the software is talking to.

What radio TX and gyro?

Old 03-30-2007, 11:17 PM
racer-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

its plugged in and everything... if the gain is reduced the wag gets worst but if it is all the way increased it still wags, gyro is a g500t, and a jr 810g servo, using a jr x378, but i can phisically see that the tail rotor is not centering when not running and moving rudder from left to right
Old 03-31-2007, 05:44 AM
slowell

i am no expert at this but i know with mine i had a lot of problems with the paint being to thick on the main shaft and binding, so nothing moved the way it was supposed to. so may be the control rod is to tight and the gyro is over correcting and giving you a wag
Old 04-01-2007, 02:44 PM
irc

Buy the century carbon pushrod upgrage kit, comes with a better tail servo mount as well, will sorts out all mechanical related tail issues, and is money well spent.

Iain
Old 04-01-2007, 05:51 PM
syclic

I am not familiar with the JR gyros, but they cannot be much different then most others.

If you have no binding in your tail rotor control system (on any heli, not just the Hawk), then setting for no wag is a direct function of gyro/servo installation, set-up and settings.

As for "upgrade rods etc." I have set up many (including my own Pro) with a number of gyro/servo combos that will even hold the tail solidly in fast backward flight and ALL where/are using the stock system.

Please check the manuals for your TX and gyro and be sure to understand how the end-points are set to insure no binding through 360 degrees of rotation ot the tail rotor, while giving full left and full right rudder command. How the yaw to HH switching is set and engaged. How the gain in each of these modes are adjusted (some go more gain as software numbers are increased away from center etc., some have switching happen at 50 so that if one is at 25 it may really mean 50% in Yaw rate, and conversely 75 may be 50% of HH. Some may also have a switch asignability feature which must be un-inhibited and set for + or -, etc.

I know of a few fairly experienced flyers who spent a month trying to get a wag out of a MinAir Fury with a new gyro / radio combo, only to finally realize, that the channel they thought was asigned as the remote gain adjustment channel, had its' switch inhibited.

I am sure it is just something like this.