Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

ESC Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 01:15 PM
chris28
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC Problems?

I haven't really been into the RC scene for a while, but the other day it struck me to fix up my TT-01 and get it running again. Everything is in good condition, except the electronics. In it I have an Airtonics servo, HPI RX-2 receiver, Duratrax Intellispeed 16T ESC, and a Chameleon 2 19T motor. Right after I installed the ESC and new motor, I would have problems like before it would reach top speed the motor would just stop, then I could only get it up to about half the speed I had it before and it would do the same thing. Now, it seems like it won't take any power from the battery pack, even though it's fully charged. I checked the connections, and everything is connected, it just won't turn on. I plugged in a spare RX battery pack from my HPI rush, and then it would turn on and the steering would work, but thats the only way i can get any power to it. I'm about to buy a new ESC since this one seems messed up, and while I'm at it I might buy all new electronics too. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this problem before.
-Chris
Old 04-01-2007, 04:48 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: ESC Problems?

It really sounds like perhaps the motor has a brush/connection problem.

To test maybe you can hook the leads directly up to the battery with the car on a stand or by renmoving the motor. Thuis bypassing the esc. You may also be able to squeeze trigger to full throttle or rotate the throttle trim or rubber band the throttle and push in on each brush to see where the problem is.

Another test is to hook a dvm up to the motor leads when flooring it. If there's voltage at the leads then problem is in motor.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:01 PM
SavageX78

Default RE: ESC Problems?

I agree with guver it sounds like the motors brushes are hung up or worn out. Take a look [link=http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lane/motor-maintenance/g-motor-maintenance1.asp]here[/link] for info on rebuilding the motorr and stuff.