Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

any 1:1 drifters?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Bugzilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any 1:1 drifters?

for you 1:1 drifters out there I have a question. We all agree that 4wd is the best setup for rc driftng right? I mean sure, it can be done with a 2wd but 4wd is the better setup. So how come most 1:1 drifters are rwd? Why is rwd favored over 4wd when it comes to full scale drift? I know this question can spark an argument over the differences in physics between rc and 1:1 drifting, but that's not what I was curious about. Maybe i should have phrased the question as, why is rwd preferred over 4wd in 1:1 drifting? BTW, I have an xmods evo that I am going to outfit for drifting in about a month, and I LOVE full scale drift! Thanks, peace.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Lumpmister

Default RE: any 1:1 drifters?

I am not sure (never tried 1:1 drifting) but this is just an idea. In RC drifting you replace the tires with something very slipery, lke drift tires, tape, and even plastic. In 1:1 drifting they use rubber tires that have grip. I think in RC drifting there is more control with the AWD, and in 1:1 drifting there is no way to get a AWD car to spin all of its tires. Unless they also wrapped their's in electrical tape.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:30 PM
domokun

the reeason we drift 1:10 scale 4wd is because 1 the type of tyre we use is a slippery compond to allow us to slide were as 1:1 drifters push over the grip barriers and us the power to skid the car rather than slide it. 2nd is that to be able to "catch " the drift for 1:10 drifter ur reaction speed and servo would have t be at a impossible speed,thing happen much faster in 1:10 land lol think of it this was my rc car goes about 70kmh now scale that up thats 700kmh could you drift a real car at 700kmh ??? lol no.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:41 PM
MEINSHNAKE

actually it is personal preference in 1:1 drifting alot of people use cars like the nissan skyline wich is 4wd. For example in the movie fast and the furious tokyo drift all the cars were converted from front or rear wheel dr. to 4wd...
I am not a real drifter but I follow the sport of drifting very closely and have been recently looking into the physics of drifting. another thing is how amazingly fast the drifting cars go through tires. As many as a set per race
Old 04-06-2007, 05:47 PM
domokun

ORIGINAL: MEINSHNAKE

actually it is personal preference in 1:1 drifting alot of people use cars like the nissan skyline wich is 4wd. For example in the movie fast and the furious tokyo drift all the cars were converted from front or rear wheel dr. to 4wd...
I am not a real drifter but I follow the sport of drifting very closely and have been recently looking into the physics of drifting. another thing is how amazingly fast the drifting cars go through tires. As many as a set per race
lol ur a noob, skylines are rwd the only 4wd skylines are gtr's, the cars in fatf wernt converted to 4wd they wer converted to rwd like the evo 8 was conveted to rwd all the other ars were already rwd . are u telling me the d1 drivers convert all the s15's, ae86's, soaers, skyline gts-t's or er34's, rx-7"s thast are all rwd to 4wd . for a person who follows the sport u dont no much do u. im not say u cant drift a 4wd u can with sum special computer thing i forget wat its called but it puts mor powa to the rear.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:24 PM
GraTou
My Feedback: (6)

rofl @ this thread.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:20 PM
ChuckDeez

ORIGINAL: GraTou

rofl @ this thread.
lol foreal.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:37 PM
joeyblaze

i hope u guys know there is dif between 4WD and AWD

not many cars are 4WD they are usualy AWD.

4WD is fixed torq split

AWD is dynamic torq split.

and AWD car can be made to perform like a RWD and 4WD drive can not.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Neon_guy

This thread is hilarious. If you don't know the answer and you still feel the need to chime in, just say "i dont know". domokun pretty much summed it up in the most lamens terms possible. You're not actually "drifting" on a 1:10 scale. you're more sliding. And I know what you're thinking, isn't drifting a controlled slide? Not exactly. it's more of an excersise in overpower. Without getting too technical (cuz it really isn't an "easy" answer) refer to domokun. he summed it up nicely.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:10 AM
domokun

aww sux neon lol
Old 04-07-2007, 02:01 AM
myae86rolla

heres my 1:1 AE86. ive taken it drifting about 5 times on the track but not lately cause ive been busy doin other hobbies like RC drifting!! i only drive it once a month now since i finally got a daily driver. hope u guys like. 1:1 dirfting is a rush and i recommend everyone to try it. thanks.....
Attached Images   
Old 04-07-2007, 02:06 AM
domokun

looks great illl soon be gettin gmy license and a rwd car lol
Old 04-07-2007, 05:26 PM
TeamTFR
My Feedback: (45)

With the whole awd real car drifting thing...with an awd the front wheels will pull it out of the drift. Rc's use awd because the weight is balanced differently, plus the tires are slick. I'd explain this in more detail...but I don't feel like it right now I'll find out the more technical reason later tonight from the local drift team's website...

myae86rolla; wanna trade? The white AE86 is mine, the other 2 are my friend's. We drift the 'Stang too sometimes...it's more of a drift car project then my 'rolla is lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65303.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	659198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93437.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	659199  
Old 04-07-2007, 08:08 PM
driftdriftdrift
My Feedback: (1)

1:10 and 1:1 arent the same. Best explination ever
Old 04-07-2007, 09:47 PM
elmnt4lfe127

i love how half the responses in this thread were long, not proofread, and possibly not english. props to those you can speak via keyboard.

and driftdriftdrift, i couldnt have said it better myself
Old 04-08-2007, 01:19 AM
myae86rolla

ORIGINAL: TeamTFR

With the whole awd real car drifting thing...with an awd the front wheels will pull it out of the drift. Rc's use awd because the weight is balanced differently, plus the tires are slick. I'd explain this in more detail...but I don't feel like it right now I'll find out the more technical reason later tonight from the local drift team's website...

myae86rolla; wanna trade? The white AE86 is mine, the other 2 are my friend's. We drift the 'Stang too sometimes...it's more of a drift car project then my 'rolla is lol

haha. no thanks on the trade. i cant sell or trade my car cause i spent too much time on that car. i actually had to buy to cars to build one. i bought the shell with nothing in it and a crashed one and transfered everything over from engine, tranny, wiring harness etc. thanks anyways. u have a nice ride too i like the rewinds. i might get a set for myself or the ones made by rota. thanks.....
Old 04-08-2007, 08:54 PM
ttoks

the reason rwd is more oftern used in drift is because it is easyer to get a car to drift when it's rwd useing the e-brake, downshifting, braking so the rear wheels loose traction and then droping the clutch geting the rear wheels spining ect ect, in a real sized car when your in it you can feel what the car is doing, so it is much easyer to control the drift then with an rc car where you have to go by sight and sound alone, in a full sized car you have sight, sound, touch and smell, a 4wd car will usually have a tendency to under steer while drifting, more so then a rwd car also.

rwd cars are also much lighter then 4wd

also the rules in formula d only allow rear wheel drive cars so that will of course have a big impact on the rest of the drifting world
Old 04-09-2007, 02:39 AM
Bugzilla

I know the difference between 4wd and AWD, I just reffered to it as 4wd cause that's what most r/c cars are classified as, even though they are actually AWD. I just wanted to hear what you guys had to say on the differences between rc drift and 1:1 drift. I knew the differences already, I just wanted to confirm that I was right. And I wanted to know about AWD vs RWD for full scale. Domokun has it in that the reaction time of the driver, and the servo speed would have to be lightning fast to properly drift a rwd rc car, and you don't have the same level of control because you don't have that "seat of the pants" feel that you do in full scale. I suppose that MAYBE if you had a crazy powerful rwd rc with tons of steering throw, a really fast steering servo, plenty of room, and the right tires, you could drift it. It would take MUCHO practice, and a drift track that is much larger than what is normally used for 1:10, but I suppose that could not be what is technically termed as rc drifting, but getting it around the track by linking together controlled powerslides, which is what full scalers do. RC drifting is getting all four tires to slide, and using the traction of the front tires to "pull" the car through the slide then out of it, which in technical terms is what constitutes a drift, while in 1:1 the only tires that really lose traction are the rears, and the front tires are used along with the throttle to "steer" the car through the slide and out of it, which is the technical definition of a powerslide. You know, now that I think about it, there is a form of full scale drift that VERY closely resembals rc drift. Ralley Racing. If you think about it, the only real difference is the track surface, and the fact that rc drift doesn't have jumps. Which leads me to another question. How come there is no real following of rc rally racing? You hear about every other form, drift, drag, on road, off road buggy, truggy, and mt, oval, and dirt oval, but you rarely hear of actual rc rally. Rally and drift are my favorite forms of full scale racing, and drift is quickly becoming a HUGE thing in rc, but rally has been left out. I have heard of it, but it's not nearly as popular. I think I might try to get into that. What do you guys think of it? Well, I've said enough. Peace!
Old 04-09-2007, 03:04 AM
MonkeyFist

I like the way you think. Think of it this way, a circuit like the WRC for RC cars. Some races on dirt, some on asphalt even some on carpet. All done with one car that must be able to handle all the types of surfaces. I think that it would really push the envelope on what a single type of RC chassis can do.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:07 AM
ttoks

hey! thats a good point, that would be fantastic to see modifyed turing cars off road, that would be really fun to do i think, you just gave me inspiration lol
Old 04-30-2007, 02:46 AM
cnr

so i had to stop when i got here!
i agree with domokun
and im just going to add a little
the reason it cause the amount of weight that they have to deal with and the body roll that is pretty much non-existent on an rc
when drifters initiate a drift they brake to throw the weight forward and thus giving the front traction and the rear to kick out and since there is front traction it just goes where you point it--for the most part

ORIGINAL: domokun

ORIGINAL: MEINSHNAKE

lol ur a noob, skylines are rwd the only 4wd skylines are gtr's, the cars in fatf wernt converted to 4wd they wer converted to rwd like the evo 8 was conveted to rwd all the other ars were already rwd . are u telling me the d1 drivers convert all the s15's, ae86's, soaers, skyline gts-t's or er34's, rx-7"s thast are all rwd to 4wd . for a person who follows the sport u dont no much do u. im not say u cant drift a 4wd u can with sum special computer thing i forget wat its called but it puts mor powa to the rear.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:50 AM
cnr

alright guys
ive been looking for an ae86
where do i look
and what would i spend for one that runs

ORIGINAL: myae86rolla

ORIGINAL: TeamTFR

haha. no thanks on the trade. i cant sell or trade my car cause i spent too much time on that car. i actually had to buy to cars to build one. i bought the shell with nothing in it and a crashed one and transfered everything over from engine, tranny, wiring harness etc. thanks anyways. u have a nice ride too i like the rewinds. i might get a set for myself or the ones made by rota. thanks.....
Old 04-30-2007, 05:29 AM
ttoks

drifters can actually use a lot of different methods to kick the rear end out, the most common is to use the hand brake (e brake for americans), then theres the power method, needs alot of hp of course but basically you turn into the turn and hit the gas, the rear wheels spin because you have an engine with heaps of power and torque and you can drift, you can jab the clutch, so you push the clutch in let the engine rev up then drop it making the rear wheels loose tractions from the sudden change in torque, changing down gears is also used , you go from say 3ed gear at 5,000 rpm, let off the gas change down to 2nd and because the engine is trying to loose rpm, while the wheels want it to go faster the tiers loose traction, you can power slide, say your coming up to a right hand turn, you turn left then suddenly turn right keeping the power even and that can throw the rear end out (power sliding is mainly used with four wheel drive cars), also a risky move is in a less powerful car you run the rear wheel off the track onto the dirt, jab the clutch and the wheels start spinning, if done wrong you'll spin doing this, you can brake and turn entering the turn moving the weight to the front wheel then hit the loud peddle which have less tractions causing them to spin, thats most ways, there are others but i either cant remember then or don't know them
Old 04-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Neon_guy

Okay. I just wanna clear something up. The TIRES HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW OR WHY WE DRIFT 1:1 OR 1:10. I drift both. The slickness, or lack thereof of the tires is not a factor in drive wheels.

Alot of 1:10 drifters use rubber. I use rubber. I use ABS more because it's cheaper. I don't wanna have to constantly replace rubber every few weeks at $35+ dollars a pop when I can use ABS for months for like $1.18. However, that has nothing to do with why we use awd (or 4wd whatever you wanna call it this week) in 1:10 and RWD in 1:1.

In 1:10, the power to wieght ratio is HUMONGOUSLY different than 1:1. I'm gonna use this example (knowing full well that someone will jump down my throat on the technicallities), but think of the difference like this:

In 1:1, let's say you have a car with 240hp (think 240 ACTUAL HORSES) that wieghs 2800lbs. Now it will take a certain amount of force and momentum to break the traction on the drive wheels. If there's only 2 drive wheels, it will take less hp to "break loose" (and the vast majority of street driven drift cars are in the 240-350hp range). Now, if you have 4 drive wheels (AWD), it will take a lot more effort to break the traction and keep the traction broken. That's why RWD is prefered in competitions that require you to drift long amounts of time and high angles.

In 1:10, let's say you have a car that has 2hp (again, think 2 actual horses pulling this thing) and wieghs 1-2lbs (think of how easy it is for you to move 2lbs. Now think of how easy it'd be for a horse to do it). You need as many drive wheels as you could get to be able to control a loss of traction (slide). We're offered 4, so we use 4 (awd). This is why it is so hard to drift RWD rc cars.

It has nothing to do with tires. It's because of the power/wieght ratio. To put in perspective again, let's say your car had 105hp. That very same car would have 1,005hp on a 1:10 scale. THAT'S NOT TO SAY THAT THIS ACTUAL RELATION EXIST!!!! I'm just trying to make it more understandable.

Lastly, NEVER USE THE FAST AND FURIOUS AS A POINT OF REFERENCE FOR ANYTHING!!!! EVAR!!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 04:24 PM
driftdriftdrift
My Feedback: (1)

^^ well said lol.

1:10 and 1:1 are different. Nough said, F&F movies are one of the worst reference points you could use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.