Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 07:10 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Bob,

First I'll be painting the canopy, then the fiberglass on the fuselage and wing where I need it to be masked off for different colors. I tried to brush some on a plastic bottle with a long camel hair brush but it didn't cover hardly at all. I think it will take more than two coats unless the first coat makes the second coat to be applied thicker and more evenly. I'm using Liquid Masking Film by Bob Dively Model Aircraft, Inc. It's light blue and thick. Have you used his product before? I got it through Tower Hobbies. If I can brush it on it will save me some $$$$ by not having to buy a spray gun. Although I probably will buy one for painting the Corsairs and future Warbirds anyway.

Thanks for the reply

Barry
Old 04-08-2007, 07:29 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres closeups
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40776.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	660067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33497.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	660068   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26923.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	660069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi17398.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	660070  
Old 04-08-2007, 07:31 PM
timothy thompson

tigers won ! ncis for details do web searches and you will find a lot
Old 04-08-2007, 10:13 PM
RCPILOT78

DEVENS... yes by all means you can use a small servo for the air valve..thats how I am activating my retracts on all my aircraft
Old 04-09-2007, 07:16 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Gibbs
I have not used his product persay, but the mtl I buy from my paint suply house is a light blue or green and vary thick and like I said it gose on smooooth with the brush I use and I allwawys use 2 coats. I will addmit it takes a bit of learning to do realy smoothly, and due to the make up of the mtl I don't think it will ever spray well/

Good Luck

Cheers Bob T

Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 04-09-2007, 10:31 AM
timothy thompson

FORGET THE FOLDING WING IT WILL NOT BE STRONG ENOUGH! PUT WEIGHT ON WINGS AND THEY GAVE SO IM GLUING THEM DOWN PERMENTLY. LESS WEIGHT AND PACIFIC CORSAIRS NEVER FOLDED THEM ANYWAY
Old 04-09-2007, 11:04 AM
devens

Well Easter in South Dakota was cool but nice enough to fly. 40 deg and 5-10 mph winds. With little breaks in the truck to warm the hands and feet it was a great day to fly. The day was going great, 3 other guys showed up and the flying was taking place without incidence. Unfortunatly things took a turn for the worse. I was assisting a freind in the start-up of his Funtana 100X with a Saito 100 on it. We were just getting the motor to sputter along in the 40 deg air when his plastic spinner started to disintegrate. Pieces were flying off like shrapnel. I wanted to say look-out but it was to late. My friend frank was reaching behind the motor adjusting the needle valve as the event started to unfold. I am not sure if he cought a piece of the spinner or if he pulled his hand back through the prop but he took a large cut across the palm of his hand. Pretty much all the way across down to the bone. Well I grabed a shirt for a towel out of my truck and another friend took him to the emergency room for I am sure a number of stiches. What a crappy way to start the flying season.[&o] For frank more than me thats for sure.

I just can't stop thinking about it. I have never seen this happen although I do hear about it now and then.

A couple of things I am taking from this incident:
1. Never cut on a spinner. Frank had hacked his up pretty good. A 2-1/2 inch spinner is small for a 16"/4 prop I guess. The slots need to be enlarged tremendously. I know Tru-Turn has warnings regarding cutting thier product I am not sure if the plastic spinner manufactures have the same warning or not. I own the same plane and have a custom cut Tru-Turn spinner.
2. Use a restraint system when starting a plane alone. I have seen products on the market to accomplish this and they have been on my wish list. One guy at our field used a long screw driver pushed into the ground with a rope tied off to his tail. That is what I am going to do until I purchase a commercial product. If that had happened while starting alone you would have two choices. Hold the plane while the plastic shapnel chews you up or release the plane to fly right up your lap. Neither sounds to fun.

Be safe this year guys and may this be the last story like this we have to read.

PS this is not Corsair related but this is the only thread I subscribe too and I feel a friendship to some of you so this is more of a Corsair Brotherhood thing.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:18 AM
timothy thompson

its the most civil thread on here lets hope trolls stay away. i will feel a lot better flying when i dont have to worry about wing strength. The problem was that it would take another 2 lbs to get it working . Too heavy
Old 04-09-2007, 11:20 AM
SMUGator

Too bad about the folding wing, Tim. It was sure inspiring to watch you try to pull it off.

Tom
Old 04-09-2007, 12:57 PM
devens

Well I spoke with my friend Frank. It was the prop that got him. 5 slices across his hand. He said it looked like hamberger right before they took him to emergency surgery. Thankfully no cut fingers or tendons. He is in good spirits and is looking forward to jumping back on the horse!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:42 PM
timothy thompson

It did work however if you look at a real f4u the wing bulkheads are at an angle so I was uunable to completely sheet the top. its ok i still have all the other goodies and now wont be afraid of it!!!! GUYS LIKE GENE bARTON ARE MACHINISTS AND CAN PULL IT OFF TOO BAD TF DOESNT PUT OUT A VERSION WITH FOLDING WINGS
Old 04-09-2007, 07:08 PM
NCIS

devens and Tim,

devens,

Sorry to here about your friend. [] I hope Frank will still get some good flying time in this season. Which hand was it? Hopefully not his writing hand!

Tim,

Sorry also to hear about the folding wing. I know it meant alot to you and you spent a lot of time on it. It inspired me enough to try to do it on my Giant Corsair. Well at least you tried.

Barry
Old 04-09-2007, 07:43 PM
timothy thompson

if you did it from the start it will work mine worked fine but there was no way to get the sheeting on wothout binding so i glued it all down. i will glass each sine with 2 inch fiberglass
Old 04-10-2007, 02:16 PM
NCIS

Tim,

What will the difference be in the way it was done if I start to do it before you did? Maybe this is a stupid question, I don't know but I'll ask anyway.

Barry
Old 04-10-2007, 03:40 PM
timothy thompson

WELL THERE ARE CERTAIN ANGLES THAT MUST BE CUT INTO RIBS AND SHEETING SO IT DOESNT BIND. I WOULD TAKE FIBERGLASS CLOTH 2" FOR THE UNDER SURFACES OF THE WING ON EACH SIDE. i WATCHED A VID OF A FOLDING WING CORSAIR LOOSING A WING AND IT WAS NOT PRETTY. THERE ARE SEVERAL OUT THERE BUT THEY DO NOT FLY ALL THE TIME I PLAN ON FLYING MINE ALMOST EVERY DAY
Old 04-10-2007, 04:39 PM
devens

what product are you guys using to fill and mold the wing saddle?
Old 04-10-2007, 04:51 PM
SMUGator

ORIGINAL: devens

Sig Finishing Resin mixed with microballoons. I've also used 30 minute epoxy diluted with denatured alcohol and mixed with microballoons, however the polyester resin is a lot more workable and sandable.

Tom
Old 04-10-2007, 06:46 PM
cimara

ORIGINAL: devens

Never used it before but it has been recomened to me and ita also on rcscale builder so i am going to try it .its called Spot-Lite by Evercoat
Old 04-10-2007, 09:11 PM
devens

whatever I used on my 60 size f4u was not a mix. It was flesh colored or the color of silly putty. Thats the ticket silly putty. Its plyable and a long cure time. jjk thanks for the input! I will have to look those products up. any more methods are welcome to be suggested.

I started my build 01/01/07 at noon. I might be done in time for summer! We will see. Some stuff goes fast some take forever so without a lot of experience its hard to judge. I know I stand over my plane planning and visualizing as much as I do cutting and glueing. Hopefully the planning stage phases out and the production takes over.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:16 PM
NCIS

Order Anyone,

This is a non-profit deal for me and SMUGator has put in a request for 16 of them. He said he likes them so I offered to get them for him Thats it. This is not a sales pitch just a courtesy to fellow builders and friends. They are 90 degree aluminum angles that are good for the 1/8 scale I'm building now but will be great for the Giant Corsair and any more Giant Warbirds I build in the future. They have many uses. Keeping things at a 90, medium to light weights, a soldering base because the aluminum disipates the heat quick and your joint is ready in a snap, and many more things I have used them for. They are only $3.50 each and are made by a metal fabricating company of just 2 guy's. The owner and his son. I don't know if he will raise his price but I don't think so. Anyway I'm going out there Friday and find out if the price is the same. I can't remember the name of the company. It's across from our flying field and him and his son love to watch when he take breaks or lunch. Because of that he is very accomidating. I will have to figure shipping per order depending on weight. They are not real light and 16 probably weigh 8 to 10 lbs. Let me know if anyone wants them. Here are a few examples of what I use them for.

Gibbs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93814.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	662046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75582.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	662047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98405.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	662048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74726.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	662049  
Old 04-11-2007, 04:24 PM
NCIS

Oh Yeah,

I told you all about dropping my radio. I sent my radio in to be checked out today. After dropping it everything seemed fine but the first plane I fly on it will be my 1/4 scale Super Cub and I have a lot of $$$ and time invested in it. It is very scale accurate. I don't want to learn the hard way that I should have had it checked out by Futaba. I definitely don't want it to work for a while and then go hay wire when I'm flying my Corsair. I'd die. I think I did the right thing. Anyway it's 32 degrees and snowing here in Wisconsin. Suppose to get 11 inches.[:'(]

Gibbs
Old 04-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey Barry,

I'd be interested in some of those aluminum angles...

Seems like a lot of hassle for you tho? IF you decide to do something like that, how would you prefer to get paid? I could do a PayPal transfer that wouldn't cost you anything if that works?

I think you made the right decision to send your radio in for a checkup...[8D]
Old 04-12-2007, 04:09 PM
NCIS

Zeeb,

I am semi-retired and need breaks from building. I am only making one order so I'll most likely wait till Monday for anyone to get in their order. I have a bunch already and I don't mind. I might have to charge for boxes if I keep getting orders. I only have so many. I will spread the cost out between everyone so that the late people don't have to pay the whole amount for their shipping box. How many do you want? I need a check or money order up front due to the number of orders. I am also going to see tomorrow if the guy will give me a discount for ordering so many. I'll pass that onto everbody. I'll probably do this every 3 months or so. So if builders miss out this time I will let them know when I will make another order for them.

Barry
Old 04-12-2007, 10:07 PM
SMUGator

Could you guys confirm or correct my understanding of the Corsair lighting scheme? What I have:

Navigation lights (Red/Green) in each wingtip - always on - solid
Formation lights (blue) - top of each outer wing panel - always on - solid
Identification lights (red, green, amber) - bottom of outer left wing panel - always on? - solid
Approach light - (white) left wing leading edge - lit on take-off and final approach only - solid
Formation light - (blue) - rear fuselage spine - always on - blinking or solid?
Identification light - (white) - tip of tail cone - always on? - solid or blinking?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Old 04-12-2007, 10:59 PM
BIOHAZARD

ORIGINAL: SMUGator

Could you guys confirm or correct my understanding of the Corsair lighting scheme? What I have:

Navigation lights (Red/Green) in each wingtip - always on - solid
Formation lights (blue) - top of each outer wing panel - always on - solid
Identification lights (red, green, amber) - bottom of outer left wing panel - always on? - solid
Approach light - (white) left wing leading edge - lit on take-off and final approach only - solid
Formation light - (blue) - rear fuselage spine - always on - blinking or solid?
Identification light - (white) - tip of tail cone - always on? - solid or blinking?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

I'm not sure about the others, but this one is not always on.

Identification lights (red, green, amber) only one color lit at any given time.

The red, green or amber light was only on during approach and was a code sent to the ground team that it was friend or foe. Wrong color you were foe, correct color... you got to land. Old shcool IFF.

Before flight they were told what color light to use on return and would light that bulb.

Anyone else concur?

Thanks,

Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.