Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

RYAN STA SPECIAL

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

RYAN STA SPECIAL

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 05:29 PM
ranger175rgr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RYAN STA SPECIAL

Hey all, I just recieved a vintage John Gosney's RYAN STA SPECIAL. Has anyone built one or have any tip on building this massive bird. looks like it will be a handfull.

thanks dave
Old 06-30-2006, 01:01 PM
chris1949

Default RE: RYAN STA SPECIAL

Hi im lookig for a sig assembly manual for the ryan sta anyone interested in selling/trading one copy is fine thanx Chris.Please email at [email protected] Chris
Old 06-30-2006, 03:15 PM
alfie43
My Feedback: (4)

Dave
I assume you are talking about the discontinued SIG Masters Kit. The Ryan STA Special? I built one a few years back. Did a military version. What Kind of info are you looking for?
Alfie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90055.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	485089  
Old 07-01-2006, 12:03 PM
chris1949

Hi im looking for a assembly manual of the sig ryan sta a copy would be fine ifyou want to trade or sell let me know I have allot of plans mostly royal thanx Chris
Old 07-01-2006, 11:50 PM
ranger175rgr

if you like i can scan mine and email them to you
Old 07-02-2006, 05:17 AM
chris1949

Id appreciate that if you would my email is [email protected] thanx a million Chris
Old 07-03-2006, 11:28 AM
vils

Hi, my father-in-law is building a two seated Ryan ST(from scratch). On his behalf I'm trying to get building tips, photos, colour schemes and so on.
Any help appreciated.

/Vils
Old 07-03-2006, 06:53 PM
alfie43

Vils,

There are many beautiful Ryan STA color schemes for your father to choose from. I have attached photos of the 2 versions that I am familiar with; a YPT-16 US Army Trainer and the John Gosney Special, an aerobatic single seat conversion (note the checkered wing bottom).

I usually get my color scheme ideas by ordering photo packs from Bob's Aircraft Documentation Service in Costa Mesa California. Bob has thousands of photo packs of almost any aircraft that you can think of. You can order packs that contain as little as 5 photos or as many as 75. I know he has packs of many different Ryan STAs.

If your father is scratch building, surely he will need 3 views. I have attached one of the 3 versions that I have. Bob also sells 3-views.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Mariano (Alfie)
[email protected]

Name:	Ki19121.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	486478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83859.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	486479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26210.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	486480  
Old 07-04-2006, 06:02 AM
vils

Thanks alfie, this was very helpful.

/Vils
Old 07-07-2006, 06:41 AM
flapper

Some pics of a Ryan at the Temora Aviation Museum, (NSW).

Enjoy

Name:	Us54288.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	488111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33419.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	488112  
Old 07-15-2006, 02:39 PM
vils

Nice pics, thanks.

/Vils
Old 07-19-2006, 11:46 AM
juan izcue

Hi Chris,

I read here that you have the plans for the Sig Ryan STA Special. I have one, and I´m trying to rebuild the wing. Could you please email me the plans, just the wing? I´d appreciate it very much!! Thank you!
Old 04-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Caliope_Frump

Hi Cris: Saw your query as I was searching for copies of logo's for my rebuild of my quarter scale "Fred Reese" Ryan STA. I originally built the STA from the Reese kit in 1989. Fred told me that he only sold three kits because unfortunately "Byron Originals" came out with their quarter scale fiberglass STA kit about the same time he advertised his. I not only have the original plans (which are much like the 1/5 scale vintage SIG plans but I have the instruction book and all of the lite ply die cut blanks. It has a finely detailed built up cockpit panel and control pedels and I made a scale four stack muffler for the Super Tigre 3000 which is converted to gasolene with a C&H ignition and needle bearing rod. I also added wheel brakes. It was originally painted like John Gosney's aerobatic STA (As was the SIG kit). After an elevator push rod stress failure I rebuilt it covered with 7mil aluminum with 2800 sequin pin rivits and modeled after Tex Rankins STA he conned T. Claude Ryan out of. This increased the weight considerably but it still flew with great precision and rolled like it was on a string. After testing the wing strength on a steel fence post and many take off aborts and flips over the years it followed my example and got heavy and flabby. I am almost out of the sport now but I still love to build and the winters in Cody, Wyoming are long and cold. This winter I decided to strip the aluminum and stitz cloth and resurect it painted like Gosneys STA. I will then sell it before my failing eyesight dooms it again. I have flown the Great Planes prototype 1/5 scale ARF and it was a much less realistic flyer. At my original weight of 18lb 2oz my STA flies beautifully. At 19lb 7oz it lost some of its grace in the air. At all weights it is a dog to keep on the centerline of an paved runway with any crosswind. All of my minor dings over the years were caused by aborted takeoffs. I now assist my, never too keen, flying skills with a rudder hold gyro. The flaps work like gang busters and really slow down the landings. This is unlike the full scale versions on which the flaps had a small affect. I hope you find your sig plans and build this model. And I hope you also find as much enjoyment out of building and flying it as I have with mine. It is truly a "golden age" aircraft.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:54 AM
franc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Vils,

Last year I scratch built a 1/6th scale Ryan PT20. I based the colour scheme on a photo of a restored one operating in USA. Attached are photos of my model and the magazine photo of the real one.
I will send you a private email with more details.

Francois

Name:	Db86308.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	662497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98706.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	662498  
Old 04-13-2007, 07:20 PM
chris1949

Hi Cal I received the instructions from a gent in Florida,thats what Ive always loved about this hobby.I have the kit and plan on building it this winter,I just retired so I think I can find the time,this one will will probably take all winter.Lots of detail to work out with this one.Glad you like yours I hope mine is half as good.Thanx Chris
Old 04-18-2007, 08:16 PM
barzini

Yes as a matter of fact i built this kit last year. It's a project that will keep you very busy, But it's worth it.
Take a look at mine.
Barzini

Name:	Db85754.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	667596  
Old 04-18-2007, 09:00 PM
chris1949

Hi it looks like a real beauty,is that the sig kit.I plan on using the same paint scheme,its hard to beat that combo.Where in upstate N.Y. are you,I live in Ravena near Albany thanx Chris
Old 06-27-2007, 04:22 PM
barzini

Old 01-06-2008, 04:59 PM
brxsr

Mr Fump: would it be possible to get a copy of the fred reese plans for the Ryan STA from you? I f fred reese only sold 3 of his kits it explains why these kits and plans are imposssible to find..Thank You for solving the mystery.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:03 AM
jymster
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: alfie43

Vils,

There are many beautiful Ryan STA color schemes for your father to choose from. I have attached photos of the 2 versions that I am familiar with; a YPT-16 US Army Trainer and the John Gosney Special, an aerobatic single seat conversion (note the checkered wing bottom).

I usually get my color scheme ideas by ordering photo packs from Bob's Aircraft Documentation Service in Costa Mesa California. Bob has thousands of photo packs of almost any aircraft that you can think of. You can order packs that contain as little as 5 photos or as many as 75. I know he has packs of many different Ryan STAs.

If your father is scratch building, surely he will need 3 views. I have attached one of the 3 versions that I have. Bob also sells 3-views.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Mariano (Alfie)
[email protected]
Alfie,

Can I please ask where you got this 3-view of the YPT-16? I don't remember seeing it amongst Bob's stuff. Could I trouble you for a high-res scan of it?

Thanks, James.