Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 04:18 PM
HeliSmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

ORIGINAL: JayDizzl879
I love the way my 4#1 flies and am concerned about changes to flight dynamics. Would it be worth worth it to stock up on the "S" style while they are still available, or is the new head yet another improvement?
I love it too, I have 3 old style DF4's and 1 new style with the S type head. It flies great!!

If it isn't an improvement I will be sickened. Also I can't imagine why they are switching, they ignored the question when I emailed them and they as much as side stepped my question as to why. But to design a plastic mold and then just discard that idea, who knows maybe this will be even better.

Here are the parts that are being phased out though. bananahobby.com has them but they confirmed with me they are switching over mid may.

Main blade holder HM-4#1-Z-01
Balance bar blllinlk HM-4#1-Z-05
Old 04-26-2007, 08:59 PM
kingelmo

Whats the range on these birds, as i am slowly moving into forward flight
Old 04-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Rollin Thunder

Orion

There is in fact a difference in performance between the em350 and em300. The 350 runs best on a 9T pinion and the 300 does well with the stock 10T. The em300 runs cooler, last longer and is easier on the tail and better managed by the gyro. Fly time is longer with the em300. The difference is not extreme but that does not make them interchangeable. I have ran both with good results. But my setup had to change with the motors. I used different size pinion and chord clipped blades for each motor.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:34 PM
chesh

[:@] Ok here I go, 1st post. I have recently replaced the rotor head on my walkera 4 channel. Since replacing it thought the controls appear to be misaligned, in that a forward movement on the controller produces a forward and slighty left movement of the rotor. The reverse happens with back movement of the controller. The rotor tips back but also to the right.
Any ideas? It appears that ther is something out of alignment but I cant see what. The rotor assembly and servos were not disconnected during the repair.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:18 AM
HeliSmith

ORIGINAL: chesh

[:@] Ok here I go, 1st post. I have recently replaced the rotor head on my walkera 4 channel. Since replacing it thought the controls appear to be misaligned, in that a forward movement on the controller produces a forward and slighty left movement of the rotor. The reverse happens with back movement of the controller. The rotor tips back but also to the right.
Any ideas? It appears that ther is something out of alignment but I cant see what. The rotor assembly and servos were not disconnected during the repair.

Sounds like you didn't get a linkage back on right. Does yours looke like this?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47197.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	673095   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76273.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	673096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98989.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	673097  
Old 04-27-2007, 12:20 AM
kingelmo

Ok, the same thing happened to me, look at it inline with themain blade from the front, and see if it is tilting one way more than the other, do the same but from the side, if this doesnt work, check your little switches at the back, mine are as follows:

1 off
2 off
3 on
4 on

Hopes this helps...

Old 04-27-2007, 12:22 AM
kingelmo

ORIGINAL: chesh

Ok, the same thing happened to me, look at it inline with themain blade from the front, and see if it is tilting one way more than the other, do the same but from the side, if this doesnt work, check your little switches at the back, mine are as follows:

1 off
2 off
3 on
4 on

Hopes this helps...
Old 04-27-2007, 12:40 AM
HeliSmith

Just a quick note. I am way too tired to check my DF4 manual for stock switch settings but I did check two transmitters and here is what I have for stock settings.

1 ON
2 OFF
3 ON
4 ON
5 OFF
6 OFF
7 OFF
8 OFF

Not to mention I doubt it's the switches. I am certainly not always right though.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:14 AM
kingelmo

Old 04-27-2007, 09:09 AM
HeliSmith

ORIGINAL: kingelmo

king,

Sorry I missed your question last night. You can not be gauranteed a range. You need to do testing on your individual helicopter. The best way to do this is to anchor it down and have someone stand there and watch while you back off from it in 25' increments. Honestly I would start to worry at 75' or so no matter what. The true test is can you hold the servo in one place for a few seconds without it glitching. I can get up to about 120' away from mine, but I don't have an open place to test it further then that.

Remember servos get hot too so don't stand on it forever during the test.

HS
Old 04-27-2007, 10:52 AM
HeliSmith

I know now why the S style head is being replaced. It rubs the flybar near the rotor core bearings and destroys the flybar. I at first thought it was due to a crash but now I am sure of it. It wears right through it.

This has to be the reason.

HS
Old 04-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Dzaken2800

I noticed a day ago that the servos on my walkera dragonfly #4 made a continuous buzzing sound every time I moved the servos with the TX and let go of the stick on the TX. Does anyone know if this is a problem or if it's normal? If it's a problem, does anyone know what is wrong and how I can fix it?

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:11 PM
robmc5

Thanks to all the help from everyone in the forum...after 3 weeks and 4 rotor cores and 1 ring, I am finally hovering (Tail in) and actually starting to enjoy this Heli. I do recommend to all newbs (like me) that you don't waste time with the plastic replacement cores. I bought the Alum Core and it has really made a big difference in the stability of the heli, buy it. Also spend some time on the sim, I got FMS working and although its pretty easy to fly it, it does help with orientation. Now I need to get a LiPo battery pack!!!!

Thanks again....
Old 04-27-2007, 12:43 PM
HeliSmith

ORIGINAL: Dzaken2800

I noticed a day ago that the servos on my walkera dragonfly #4 made a continuous buzzing sound every time I moved the servos with the TX and let go of the stick on the TX. Does anyone know if this is a problem or if it's normal? If it's a problem, does anyone know what is wrong and how I can fix it?

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.
Not normal, but not earth shattering either. Most common causes.

1. Bindage.
2. Bad servo.
3. Fault connection / loose wire.
4. Interference.

First unclip the servo rods from the swash plate. Plug everything in. Still buzzing? If it still buzzes it's not bindage.
Ok now plug one in at a time. If one buzzs and the other doesn't, it could be interference but it's probably a connector problem or a bad servo. Unclip it from the frame and lay it stretched out. Still buzz? Just replace the servo.

Interference is caused by a poorly ran antennae wire. If you suspect it unwind it and pull it straight out from the transmitter. Plug in your heli and mess with the antennae wire, buzz going and coming?

HS
Old 04-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Orion1024

chesh,

That's normal - even my 36 does the same thing.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

well the parts arrived today, no pictures till tomorrow, I need to mount the canopy and figure out something with the EDF tail, it worked well for awhile, I flew about 5 circuits around the parking lot after hovering for a bit to trim it out, and then all of a sudden the tail rotor is acting up and Im spiraling in from about 15 feet up, broke my brand new landing gear, which is fixable but still sucks that it broke, also maybe thinking the fan overheated so maybe Ill cut three blades out of the six off to reduce load on it, it has more then enough power, I had to block off some of the duct with scotch tape so I could trim it out correctly, so the cutting the blade may do the trick, or maybe this motor is a little different and I can put the old tail motor into the duct, it seemed to handle the voltage better...I ordered the lower voltage fan due to its thrust to power ratio being the highest, wanted to make sure it had enough crap to steer this thing, If I can get it to work the way it was first part of the flight we will have a winner of a setup, it was hovering rock steady and foward flight was really smooth and controllable...
Old 04-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Rollin Thunder

If the rxc motor got very hot its ruined. Cutting it down to 3 blades is a good idea and has been done before with good results. Blocking the air vents is a bad idea. Why not the DD tail? It's lighter and fits the stock motor mount. Like I said before you may need a new motor. So if your blade mod does not produce results that would be the problem.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:30 PM
JSGP51

Question,

The bearing in the main head, in the blade hold. Are those part of a four pack that you buy for 3.50. I've lost one in my front yard grass and can't find it?

Wanted to make sure before I ordered it. If anyone know what size it is I could buy one from my my local hobby store instead?

JSGP51
Old 04-28-2007, 12:12 AM
kingelmo

yu wont be able to get from hobby store, just back order more, get 2packs
Old 04-28-2007, 12:29 AM
HeliSmith

ORIGINAL: JSGP51

Question,

The bearing in the main head, in the blade hold. Are those part of a four pack that you buy for 3.50. I've lost one in my front yard grass and can't find it?

Wanted to make sure before I ordered it. If anyone know what size it is I could buy one from my my local hobby store instead?

JSGP51
Yeah you get them in a 4 pack. I bought 12 of them from helihobby last time I ordered. Stupid 4.50 shipping makes you want to order more then just these though.
PART#HM-004-Z-12

Old 04-28-2007, 12:36 AM
HeliSmith

********* 2007 DF4 Alert *********

Ok I without a doubt have discovered a severe problem with the 07 version DF4. The flybar is frayed and worn from making contact with the bearings. This will make your helicopter start to respond rather sluggishly. Bad news is the flybar is smaller then an old DF4 so I can't use the steel mod one from my other heli. I went by the hobby shop and couldn't find a correct diameter piano wire.

Case you are having trouble deciphering this picture. The flybar runs between the bearings and isn't supposed to be frayed and nearly worn through like that. Happy fly not begin, HAPPY FLY NOT BEGIN!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18773.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	673756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61036.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	673757  
Old 04-28-2007, 01:46 AM
kingelmo

GRRRRRRRR[:@] I just snapped my repaired landing gear, its ok to fly, but I cant have ANY bad landings... monday, HURRY UP!!!!! (waiting for new ***landing*** gear [:@]
Old 04-28-2007, 06:17 AM
kingelmo

Does anyone know a site to get super skids in AUS????
Old 04-28-2007, 09:22 AM
JSGP51

I know an older guy who has a son about 40, who sell parts for helis. This guy apparently flys gas helis like no bodies business. The father was telling how his son sells these parts and charges an amazing markup on just the part. We're talking like, a bl motor cost them no more the 5.00 or 10.00 dollars.

And then adds lots more to the shipping. Hense the large shipping cost. WHich goes to the seller first. I returned a battery to a seller which was bad. The post office charged me 1.83. I paid the seller I think 6.00 or 7,00 to get the primary battery in the first place. I think I'm going to start up a store to support my heli habit for goodness sakes.

JSGp51
ORIGINAL: helismith

Question,

JSGP51
Yeah you get them in a 4 pack. I bought 12 of them from helihobby last time I ordered. Stupid 4.50 shipping makes you want to order more then just these though.
PART#HM-004-Z-12

Old 04-28-2007, 09:26 AM
JSGP51

helismith,

Is it the part number (hm-004-Z-11) which has 4 bearings in it?

JSGP51

ORIGINAL: helismith

Question,

JSGP51
PART#HM-004-Z-12

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.