Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

That's it, I'm selling, I'm sick of the cp pro.

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

That's it, I'm selling, I'm sick of the cp pro.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:56 PM
p01rogue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That's it, I'm selling, I'm sick of the cp pro.

Been nothing but problems.
Receiver or 3-1 out again, and again and again.

Gret deals coming up on cp pro, g90 gyro , brushless sytem ton of parts , carbon blades.

Moving to t-rex.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:21 PM
bkress

Default RE: That's it, I'm selling, I hate the cp pro.

I was having similar problems with mine until I took it into the Helicopter Doctor at Al's Hobby Shop in Elmhurst, Il. I replaced my 3-in-1 twice thinking it was he problem why my heli would not lift off properly and fly smoothly. What they discovered was pretty simple, but something I had not yet looked at... The blades were out of track and out of balance which caused enough vibration to bring the bird slamming down into the ground. So, mechanically and electronically everything was perfect and they did nothing but balance my blades and now it flies great. So, if you have overlooked such a small thing that really is one of the most important things to check, then that could be some of your problems. I dunno, I just hate to see anyone give up the Blades. They are a great heli as long as you got a deep pocket until you have surpassed the learning curve. Generally, the bigger the heli is the less responive it is on your controls and the easier it is to fly. The t-rex 450 or 600 are definately good birds, but they are really scary to try to hover in the house. This is why the blade cp is key. Fly her anywhere as long as there isn't much wind... Anywyas, good luck and happy flying.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:30 PM
mrasmm

you could also try the fuse mod =) That almost always protects the 3 in 1 from frying if your problem is with the 3 in 1, and not something that was mentioned by bkress's good list for example =)
Old 04-27-2007, 04:39 PM
p01rogue

My mechanical skills are great and the heli is fused.

I'm just unhappy with as electroniocs are constantly breaking for no reason and keeping me further and further away from finishing my t-rex.

This time it's just a fried servo making the 3-1 go nuts , no big deal on it's own, it's just that it's always one thing or another.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Captain Randy
My Feedback: (1)

p01rogue, you come too far to stop. There is a good point to this thread. One little unidentifiable problem ruins everything. In real aircraft I think they call them "Gremlins." I swear I was finished at one point. The tail had a mind of it's own and so I got a new 3 in 1. Still had the problem. Turned Out my 'NEW" tail motor was crap. But I lost money and hair over it. Anyway, all was not in vain because I (with support from the great people who take time to post on these threads) eventually figured it out and became a better mechanic and pilot for it. What if the Gremlins jump into the T-Rex?

Just think what havoc a pinched wire, any wire, under a plastic tie could do?

Don't give up!
Old 04-27-2007, 05:35 PM
p01rogue

Failures due to wear or gremlins, which are really just poor maintenance I can live with.
But parts and electronics that wear out much to fast and give up for no reason I cannot accept.
I do love the cpp, but am no longer able to cope with shoving money at for parts that wear or fail for no fault of my own.

I mean , I know I'm hooked to heli's and going t-rex, so why not just sell the blade now.
Every time i replace a e-flite part, it just takes me that much further from finishing my t-rex .
I have a v2 rex sitting in the basement that i cannot afford to buy electronics for if I'm always fixing the money trap blade.

P.s.
thanks for the support,
I think if i don't sell , I'm at least going back to brushed,
So here's a link for anyone wanting a good deal on a brushless system,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678123

ORIGINAL: Captain Randy

p01rogue, you come too far to stop. There is a good point to this thread. One little unidentifiable problem ruins everything. In real aircraft I think they call them "Gremlins." I swear I was finished at one point. The tail had a mind of it's own and so I got a new 3 in 1. Still had the problem. Turned Out my 'NEW" tail motor was crap. But I lost money and hair over it. Anyway, all was not in vain because I (with support from the great people who take time to post on these threads) eventually figured it out and became a better mechanic and pilot for it. What if the Gremlins jump into the T-Rex?

Just think what havoc a pinched wire, any wire, under a plastic tie could do?

Don't give up!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:00 PM
cherikeered

Yeah this heli sucks. E-FLITE SUCKS. I've had this heli a year now now and havent even hooked up the motors yet. It glitches all over the place. Thats when it does get a signal. Replaced the 4in1, the crystals, tried a 3in1 and a receiver, still no go. It even stripped a servo on its own. This is all after the fact that eflite LIES on the box saying that it will do aerobatics, sure, after you spend another 200 dollars upgrading it. I thought I was buying an aerobatic heli but I should have just burnt my money, at least I could have heated my apartment. Im going to take it outside and run it over with my lawnmower and go buy a trex or a airstar/vario.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Truglodite

ORIGINAL: p01rogue

Failures due to wear or gremlins, which are really just poor maintenance I can live with.
But parts and electronics that wear out much to fast and give up for no reason I cannot accept.
I do love the cpp, but am no longer able to cope with shoving money at for parts that wear or fail for no fault of my own.

I mean , I know I'm hooked to heli's and going t-rex, so why not just sell the blade now.
Every time i replace a e-flite part, it just takes me that much further from finishing my t-rex .
I have a v2 rex sitting in the basement that i cannot afford to buy electronics for if I'm always fixing the money trap blade.

P.s.
thanks for the support,
I think if i don't sell , I'm at least going back to brushed,
So here's a link for anyone wanting a good deal on a brushless system,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678123
you're 100% correct, in reality ALL aircraft failures are preventable.

the size of the blade requires it to "hang from a thread" electrically speaking, otherwise it would be too heavy to do 3D. bigger electrics are more robust, but they are, well, bigger. i'm sure you'll have fun with your trex, but please don't give up on the micro scene yet. you have a bunch of useful knowledge about blades now, and it would be a waste to toss it out now. i suggest mothballing the blade and focusing on your trex for now, rather than sell it out of frustration. your frustration will grow smaller not having to deal with blade problems daily. eventually you'll be glad you still have it so you can take it out for some micro action.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:13 AM
Pearl_414
Banned

Hiya Rogue,

Sorry to hear about your CPP experiences. I hate to say my CPP experiences have been the opposite of yours. I made many flights with my CPP and haven't had a single problem yet. E-Flite micro heli's are not the same kinna toys a person would purchase from radio shack. These heli's have to be handled with care, for example : When applying throttle for liftoff and throughout flight and landing, be easy on 3-1 controller as possible, or trouble can appear. In other words you have to power up and power down very slowly. Electric motors such as the tailmotor going out over a period of time is normal for any electric heli, including the T-Rex. If you don't fly rc airplanes, anything else in the hobby industry will be expensive, thats just the way it is, especially with heli's, gas or electric. I like to encourage pilots and would be more then happy to post a video of me making a feather landing with my CPP. Whether you keep your CPP or go with the T-Rex, I'm sure you'll enjoy. Happy flying Rogue, I hope the best for ya.

Corey

Old 04-28-2007, 04:26 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll give ya 20 bucks plus shipping for yer junk heli !!! **cherikeered** I can use the parts for my newest flower garden project!
ORIGINAL: cherikeered

Yeah this heli sucks. E-FLITE SUCKS. I've had this heli a year now now and havent even hooked up the motors yet. It glitches all over the place. Thats when it does get a signal. Replaced the 4in1, the crystals, tried a 3in1 and a receiver, still no go. It even stripped a servo on its own. This is all after the fact that eflite LIES on the box saying that it will do aerobatics, sure, after you spend another 200 dollars upgrading it. I thought I was buying an aerobatic heli but I should have just burnt my money, at least I could have heated my apartment. Im going to take it outside and run it over with my lawnmower and go buy a trex or a airstar/vario.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:14 PM
xeos

I feel your frustration. I have a love/hate relationship with my CPP. They're extremely difficult to control even when they're balanced & tuned in. I've found that adding a an item like the superskids gives the bird a bit more of the weight that it so desperately needs for stability and is worth it, even at the cost of battery life. I am by no means an expert or 3D pilot, and I know that some who've spent a great deal of time with the CPP can make it do some amazing things. The primary reason I purchased the CPP originally was because I heard it was so difficult to fly and wanted to really push myself at the beginning. But I know exactly where you're coming from and my advice would be to limit your CPP budget and build that TREX!
Old 04-29-2007, 12:07 AM
Pearl_414
Banned

Hi,

In my last post I said the T-Rex had a tailmotor and was wrong. It has a belt and that seems to be even worse. Whats a person gonna do when the belt happens to break in flight. Description says it autorotates, but I'm not to fond of that idea. Atleast when the CPP tailmotor starts going out, it gives you a warning, such as the tail will be hard to hold steady, instead of an unpredicted crash. I have 30 flights or more with my CPP and havent had a single mishap at all. I also havent put a single dollar into it other then carbon fiber blades that I bought cause I wanted them. I still have the wooden blades that came with the kit. Happy flying!!

Corey
Old 04-29-2007, 11:35 AM
xeos

Pearl: The belt drive is actually a more reliable setup than the dedicated tail motor. Also, one of the big advantages of the belt drive tail is that it is always spinning and responds as quickly as the servo can adjust the angle of attack on the tail blades. With the dedicated motor like the CPP you have to wait for the motor to spin up or spin down when making adjustments, which happens quite a bit slower than a servo actuates. The belt driven tail on the TREX is a push/pull setup whereas the dedicated motor on the CPP only goes one way.

I suppose they both have their ups & downs but personally I would prefer a belt driven tail. I know they make kits to convert the CPP to belt drive but that seems silly when the TREX is sitting there screaming at me to build it.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:05 PM
DrunkYoda

I agree the belt is the best, but if you're worried about belt breaks there are things called shaft drive, does pretty much the same thing but has gears on both the tail piece and next to the main gear.

Check on the Esky King V1, V2 went with belt.

Autorotation works really well actually. Haven't tried it for real but you can do it on the sim. Basically you cut the throttle as fast as possible and knock the collective as negative as you can get it. Then bring it all the way up about 3-4ft off the ground. You have no torque as you have no motor pushing the chopper the other way. So other than trying to limit the drag when in the air (which is why you have to put the collective full down)

I really like my dual tail, if it wasnt for the weight I'd say it was the best, after the belt/shaft drive. It runs cool as ice. Holds pretty well on just the Blade CP even.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:32 PM
leapnlarry

i only started flying heli's about a month ago, with the cp pro. I can fly it very well now, and did not have any problem other than some bent spindles from crashes. Today the 3n1 went out in mid flight, luckily i was only a couple of feet off the ground. I have had a great experience with this heli, cheap, cheap parts, good heli to learn on. I was a little frustrated with Horizon when they told me they would not warranty the 3n1, even though i have only had it for less than a month.

With the cp pro you just have to live with a less than perfect tail.

I am also ready to move up to the trex but will keep the cp pro to teach my kids.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:01 AM
Pearl_414
Banned

Hi Gents,

Xeos and Yoda, I wouldn't doubt the T-Rex has a better setup, but I just dont like the idea of a belt drive and having to autorotate. I would rather have a motor that more then likely will keep running and allow me to land my heli safely, insted of having to really risk crashing my heli. Either way, I think they are both great heli's for what they are worth. Happy Hovering!

Pearl
Old 05-01-2007, 03:54 PM
techrtr

I finally decided to retire my CP Pro once and for all after crashing it for the upteenth time. Not that it's a bad helicopter. I've always really enjoyed messing with it but once I finished putting my T-Rex together I found that I didn't care if I crashed the CP anymore. I didn't take the time to make sure everything was okay before taking it off. I would crash and destroy and brand new set of blades, run back to the hobby store, make another stupid mistake and crash again. My head just wasn't flying the CP Pro anymore when the T-Rex was sitting there. Problem is, I'm kind of scared of the CP Pro! It's so powerful compared to the CP Pro. Flies nice but I know that if I screw up like I have with the CP Pro there will be utter carnage. Anyhow, I crashed the CP Pro again yesterday and this time I think I destroyed the 4 in 1. So, I boxed it up and stuck it in the closet, likely never to fly again. I'm going to devote myself to flying the T-Rex and the simulator now. The CP Pro was great to learn on, but I can't see the point of pumping more money into it. Before long the T-Rex will probably seem pretty tame and not so intimidating, and I will be ready to move up to a big nitro copter.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:51 PM
p01rogue

On a positive note, Since I started this thread, I've decided to keep my cpp for now.
I have switched back to the brushed set up and find it really is very nice to hover and fly inside on bad weather days.
I dunno why i had such a hard time with the brushless and too high of head speed.
The motor may have been a higher kv than labeled?
The lowest headspeed i could get out of the brushless was equal or faster than the max headspeed on the brushed.
Problem was the tail only liked the brushed at top headspeed which was to much for my current flying preference and possibly skill.

I also really like the fuse mod for the brushed motor.
any mishaps and I never had to worry about the 3-1 or the heli tearing itself up .
I never crasheed the brushless but always had the fear in the back of my mind of seeing the heli tear it's self up before i could get the idle up off and throttle down.

So for me, for now, brushed just makes things simpler and more enjoyable.

Gonna sell the complete brushless system for $65
Old 05-02-2007, 03:03 AM
Pearl_414
Banned

Hi Techrtr,

Sorry to hear about your crashes. I never understood why people say the CPP is a good heli to learn with, cause it is without a doubt the hardest heli on planet earth to fly, hands down. The CPP is by far much harder to fly then any gas heli ever built, I know, because I been there done that. I have flown many heli's and any gas is a joke compared to the CPP. Whoever says the CPP is a good trainer, must be from another planet, such as, where gravity doesn't exist. I flown my CPP over 30 times and still waiting on my 1st crash. I think the main reason for my success is, because I hate giving my money away. I don't give my money away, they gonna have to earn it.

Pearl
Old 05-03-2007, 03:14 PM
drphoto

If you're going to get a Trex, then you'll need a computer radio. Try it in your BCPP. It makes a huge difference to have a programmable radio and decent servos. I got mine to where it was a pleasure to fly with the DX7. I think subtrim, which allows proper swash setup and the ability to run a proper throttle curve make the most difference.

I agree that the BCPP is a poor choice for a trainer.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Pearl_414

Hi Gents,

Xeos and Yoda, I wouldn't doubt the T-Rex has a better setup, but I just dont like the idea of a belt drive and having to autorotate. I would rather have a motor that more then likely will keep running and allow me to land my heli safely, insted of having to really risk crashing my heli. Either way, I think they are both great heli's for what they are worth. Happy Hovering!

Pearl
I don't see what you are worried about. With a belt driven tail, or shaft driven for that matter, the tail is at a constant rpm in preportion to the main rotor. When you want to change your yaw angle you increase or decrease the pitch of the tail. This can be done as fast as your tail servo can move. So in the case of my 9254 on my hawk, the transit time is around .06 seconds to full positve tail rotor, or full negative. An independent tail rotor can take as long as 1 second to get up to speed. Also, autorotation is not a required thing, in theory even a cp pro could do it if it had a one way bearing. The pilot decides to go into autorotaion when he wants. All landings can be made under power and direct control. Having your heli auto capable is a good thing, if something happens in the air to the tail or engine you can land safley.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:40 PM
xeos

Default RE: That's it, I'm selling, I'm sick of the cp pro.

You know... I love my CP Pro... but yesterday was so horrible that it was the first time I've actually considered retiring it. I had run 3 batteries through it with no problems whatsoever, inspected the bird between each pack while the main motor cooled a little, everything looked tip-top. Slipped the 4th pack in and get about 20' off the ground, leaned the bird over to the left to begin some lateral sliding practice and one of the balls breaks off the paddle control frame, bird goes nuts in mid-air for obvious reasons and slams into the ground... rolling 3 times. Flybar bent, paddle control frame destroyed, CF blades destroyed, spindle bent, main shaft bent, one mixer arm assembly destroyed, 3020 tail prop broken, rotor head frame cracked. Amazingly the superskids survived, as did the titanium superboom and all the electronics/motors. By far the worst crash I've ever had with any bird, and it wasn't even my fault!

Upon close inspection of the area where the ball broke off the paddle control frame I noticed that there was an air bubble in the plastic right behind where the ball was molded. The break was exactly down the middle of the bubble, one half in the frame, the other half presumably in the ball itself, but who knows where that ended up in the field behind my house. Gotta love costly crashes due to POOR manufacturing of parts.

Needless to say I'm pretty upset with Eflite & my CPP at the moment. The TREX that's partially built on my shelf looks like it's finally gonna get done since giving eflite any more money for replacement junk plastic parts chaps my hide currently. Especially when this crash could have been avoided by oh... I dunno, a little quality control?
Old 05-04-2007, 03:39 PM
FREEBIRD

I too fell into the CP trap, I only got the thing to fly decent after using my own Tx (Futaba) and the HH gyro with a Hitec Rx. It still flys like a twitchy small heli, but I'm actually able to drive it around in circuts where I want. Don't bother with the BL motors, dual tails etc, it doesn't get much better. I just use stock motors. I basically use it for the indoor season only now, any slight wind and the thing is all over. They're good to charge up and fly occasionally so they're obnoxious habits don't get to you too bad. I finally did the TRex SA, it flys like a real RC heli, and I'm not adjusting it every 2 min., I've actually flown mine for months without doing anything to it.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:02 PM
xeos

Don't get me wrong... I really enjoy the CPP. It's extreme twitchyness is one of the things I like about it. It's hard to fly and presents a challenge which keeps it interesting. (I know that may sound weird) The part that gets me is how cheap some of the pieces of the head are. And I don't mean $ cheap... quality cheap. Installing the CNC head would eliminate the plastic parts that feel so cheesy but that just seems like such overkill for this little bird, both cost & weight-wise. I think about as far as I'm willing to go with aftermarket aluminum is the swashplate, which I installed and love. Aside from some slight slop in the head due to, again, crummy plastic parts... my CPP has always flown really well, even moreso with the DD tail.

I'd never sell or throw the CPP away tho. It's a fun little bird to play with... I was just venting some major frustration. Crashing a heli due to my own dumb thumbs or brain fade I can live with... crashing it and causing significant damage due to poorly molded plastic is another thing entirely. Although, even after all my ranting about the broken parts... I went ahead and got the replacements I needed. This just gave me a good excuse to go to the hobby store and chat with the chopper guys there, and they just happened to have the parts I needed on the wall.

The CPP will fly again! Something in my gut just wont let me give up on it, as maddening as it can be at times. The TREX will be finished tho, this gave me the final boost I needed to get it done.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:07 PM
bilboa

ORIGINAL: Pearl_414

Hi Gents,

Pearl
Sorry to say, but I think you have it backward. It's true that belt tails can fail in flight, but if you spend some time reading around on forums, you'll find that motor tail helis have tail rotor failures in flight much more often. In fact it's not a matter of "if" but "when". A stock BCPP tail motor will typically last for about 4 or 5 hours, assuming no damage from crashes or hitting the tail rotor on the ground. So unless you track flight time and preemptively replace tail motors you're pretty much guaranted tail rotor failures occasionally with a motor tail. The advantage of them, and why they're used on inexpensive micro helis, is because they're cheap and easy to setup compared to other solutions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.