Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

The Exceed Raptor G2 Upgraded

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

The Exceed Raptor G2 Upgraded

Old 04-27-2007, 10:27 AM
helifan06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Exceed Raptor G2 Upgraded

After all the upgrades; this heli is going to end up like the Shogun V2; LOL

http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...ter/Categories

helifan06;

Old 04-27-2007, 12:26 PM
starcop

Hi helifan06, Hey guys we are number 1 on the topic charts! Seems we are the top dawgs today. (Laughing) It looks like another great day here I'm going to fly a little later. My batteries and everythings ready to go. The new Align batteries are the best long, long flight times I still haven't set my timer due to charging issues but after the battery is broken in I will post them. Well happy piloting. starcop
Old 04-27-2007, 12:55 PM
helifan06

Kewl; I'm still waiting for my TREX parts from rcandme. they shipped on tuesday; and now its friday. Man! with this TREX; I don't need to fix anything; so when I'm not able to fly because of weather mostly (NJ sucks!). I keep fixing stuff on the TREX. Yesterday I put some extra sticker on the canopy; and CA glue (more) the landing skids. My TREX is in perfect conditions.

Need to save money for Align Lipo and a wireless camera. Have fun!

Helifan06;
Old 04-27-2007, 01:23 PM
endoquad

I agree with you helifan, a wireless camera would be sweet. i am hoping to eventually get one of those. Then, whether realistic or not, you feel like you are doing something semi productive. I feel for you, (with the weather) but here in Phoenix AZ it is beautiful every day. Just a little hot. [8D]

I ordered the align speed control, but I promised my wife I wouldn't install it until after my finals-DOH! Then she had to go and add up all the money I have spent on my G2 thus far. I tried to explain that it is better if you just don't think about it.

I can tail in hover like a madman on the simulator, just waiting to put it all into action on the real thing.

Endoquad-
Old 04-27-2007, 04:05 PM
hanibul

I bought the Raptor G2 Se and it will fly out of the box i was amazed as to the power it has, and also the way it handled its right on the dime.. had to to hover and be 5 feet off the ground. Im new at it so i will take it easy for now.
Mark
Old 04-27-2007, 05:26 PM
starcop

Hi All, Exciting news! The Align batteries so far; I just flew 12 full minutes and still seem to have full power!!! Nice I was doing things with the Raptor G2 that was great! I've never sense I've owned this thing been able to fly over 6 to 7 minutes without worrying whether or not my battery would fail high in the air. I just flew circles all over my 3 acres in my yard. Pretty fun this things is full of surprises. I was doing crazy eights fliing way out to the end of my yard and doing circles what a blast. I've allways had to keep it close by because the battery would start to get weak. The Align batteries the 2100 mah are by far the best setup yet! Get them you will never have to worry about fliing for extended periods and getting that "surge warning it's time to land"! These batteries just last and last, yeah the energizer bunny. But that makes it so much more fun to fly. Wow Time to do that again, wish I had a video camera! I may just have to buy one so everyone can see just how nice these things can fly with upgrades! Tons of power to boost it straight up in the air. This helicopter can spin circles really fast! starcop out.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:33 PM
starcop

Hey hanibul, That's great you bought one that fly's well. Most of the problems encountered are failing parts. The ESC burns out, motor shafts break etc. It's good to know someone finally got the Raptor G2 that works. These helicopters have great potential and I can't tell you how much fun I'm having with mine, but most of the time for new pilots is that it's mechanical failure. Keep a close eye on the ESC and the gear clearence so the shaft doesn't snap off. But good for you, these things fly great once you get the hang of it. starcop
Old 04-27-2007, 05:43 PM
starcop

A picture, just checking the size of the photo I was having troubles with too large of pic.

Huh, I post a picture now and they are huge! They take up the entire page. Wonder what I did wrong?
Old 04-27-2007, 06:16 PM
helifan06

Ok! I took my TREX to the basketball field for a spin. I did test the TREX in the living room; it handles well. But when I took it on the field; the tail was shacking back and forth. I did land safe; its easy with the TREX; and reset the 401 gyro by unpluging the battery.

It flew very stable; but later started again to shake. I'm wondering if it is the tail blades not hold tight??

Helifan06;
Old 04-28-2007, 12:16 AM
starcop

Hi helifan06, Two things you should look at. First check the sensativity settings on the TX and gyro. Secondly check that the tail rotor blade slide isn't binding on the tail rotor blade shaft. I had that problem with the MX400 the shaft wasn't as smooth as I thought it was and the blades would get stuck and not transverse right and left. The little slide on the tail shaft. Binding is a common problem. It's when you try and turn the tail and the servo can add or minus pitch on the tail rotor blades because it get stuck on the shaft. starcop
Old 04-28-2007, 12:57 AM
helifan06

Hi starcop; Thanks! I got an response from a guy @ Official TREX XL forum; he said its the gain settings. Well; I set my gain @ +60% on AVCS mode; now its +50%. I also notice that my tail servo rod wasn't in straight line with the servo. I changed the servo horn and lube the rod holders; and reprogrammed the GY401.

Wow! I didn't though about that; Thanks! I did fix the servo rod; so I will TREX tomorrow morning again.

Here are some pictures;

Later;

Helifan06;
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79208.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	673765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77531.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	673766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84391.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	673767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73654.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	673768  
Old 04-28-2007, 11:30 AM
CEWagner

I bought all the upgrade part that raiden tech offers accept the rotor blades. Thank you for getting back to me on this my friend.
Tail gear holder set
Tail shaft steering set
Swashplate
Rotor head set
Main blade control set
Tail shaft steering
Old 04-28-2007, 08:43 PM
imnew4321

hey again, well after keeping my lipo in a box for a month, and looking at it finally, IT HAS SWOLLEN. i think that it was charged a little but only one cell is swollen so I am going to kepp using it hopefully. well later guys, you are inspireing me with the trex and I am now considering buying one.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:58 PM
starcop

Hey imnew4321, Yeah sounds like one of the cells has or is starting to go bad. I found with mine that to much current draw was swelling mine. They only lasted a few more charges after that. The Align battery is really good quality, I flew my helicopter today for over 10 mintues and still had or it seemed to have a lot of power left. I haven't flown a full battery yet, I'm going to wait till they are broken in a little more. starcop out...

Name:	Da83381.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	674320  
Old 04-29-2007, 12:21 AM
helifan06

Hello starcop;

That's a nice raptor. And again you were right; the TREX tail problem was the binding. Now its flying ok!

Helifan06;

Name:	Nl30863.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	674389  
Old 04-29-2007, 11:41 AM
starcop

Hi helifan06, That's cool you fixed it! I had an intermittant binding problem on my MX400 that helimax I sold. I thought it was the gyro because you couldn't see the slide binding and it would only do it when I had it in the air. Drove me nuts trying to figure that one out. I set sensativity settings, adjusted the gyro settings, on and on and on still it would tail wag. I even took apart the tail section and inspected everything. One day it happend to do it while I was setting it back up. Then it was to late I had sold the gyro and listed the darn thing on e-bay. I remember now the parts were installed on my Raptor G2 and they bind up so I was able to fix it. Well good that wasn't to hard to fix. starcop out..
Old 04-29-2007, 02:56 PM
starcop

Hi Everyone, Todays a great day to fly! The Raptor G2 is a great flyer, I get 15 minutes and still haven't run a full charge on the Align battery! They just must hold a long charge. I also noticed that I'm using far less throttle to fly than before. I can't say how pleased I am with these batteries. They are a must have for 400 to 450 size helicopter. I bet this Raptor will fly for 20 minutes on a sigle charge. It's almost to much because I start to get a little brave and do things I shouldn't. That amount of flight times makes for some interesting fliing. You can really practice without having to worry about flight constraints.

For the music lovers out there, here is my new Epiphone Les Paul Quilt Top. I'm digging playing guitar!

Name:	Ki20395.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	674706  
Old 04-29-2007, 03:12 PM
helifan06

thanks starcop for sharing your findings. I was thinking it was the gyro as well; since I bought it in china; its hard to know if is 100% QA passed. Most things in china specially electronics in cheap market are bad quality; that's where all the Walkera radio came.

Helifan06;

ORIGINAL: starcop

Hi helifan06, That's cool you fixed it! I had an intermittant binding problem on my MX400 that helimax I sold. I thought it was the gyro because you couldn't see the slide binding and it would only do it when I had it in the air. Drove me nuts trying to figure that one out. I set sensativity settings, adjusted the gyro settings, on and on and on still it would tail wag. I even took apart the tail section and inspected everything. One day it happend to do it while I was setting it back up. Then it was to late I had sold the gyro and listed the darn thing on e-bay. I remember now the parts were installed on my Raptor G2 and they bind up so I was able to fix it. Well good that wasn't to hard to fix. starcop out..
Old 04-29-2007, 07:03 PM
starcop

Hello, Yes I guess for everyone most of the time with the aluminum upgrade parts the tail slider that controls tail rotor blade pitch can bind on the shaft. Not all of them do but some of the production get burrs on them and they don't slide that easy. It's not a bad idea to look them over really well and use emery cloth to smooth things out so they work correctly. Sometimes the link ball sizing tool is useful. Adding oil is a bad idea too because it lesson the space between the bearing or bushing and can cause it to bind up aswell. Graphit might be a better choice because it has more of a powder type smoothness than oil that can grab dirt instantly. The graphit will break down giving you a really smooth surface. I haven't tried it but maybe next time I will. I wouldn't use it on swashplate or principle axis but things like the tail shaft etc can be benificial. Well keep it upright. starcop out...

Name:	Bz79573.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	674907  
Old 04-29-2007, 09:01 PM
helifan06

Hi All;

For those whom are bidding for my Raptor on ebay Item number: (190106354795); I just received an email from fgher. It seems that he was contacted through email by Vasile Marasoiu ([email protected]) stating that he is the owner of the Heli and that the bid has ended in $155.00 .

I can assure you that is not me; and I put my Raptor on iSoldit Store. You should contact them if you have any questions about the item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190106354795

Helifan06;
Old 04-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Fireman69

Hello everybody , i'm new to the heli's and i got a G2 myself! I made the mistake of buying a used one off of ebay and got screwed on it , it was damage alot more than i was lead to believe. So i've been repairing it slowly!! Well i got it back together the best i could with what info i had and tried to fly it today , but it cant get the tail to stop spinning in circles. It seems the gyro isn't working but i think after reading afew post the my tail rotors are spinning in the wroung direction ! How do i go about fixing it? Thanks Gary
Old 04-29-2007, 10:00 PM
endoquad

Ok,

Well I took out my main shaft and replaced it. When I put everything back together, my blade pitch seems to be reversed? I have about neg 10 at 0 throttle and about 0 to +2 at full throttle? This can't be how it was originally set up can it?

Anyway, I can't imagine having to readjust everything when I didn't change anything and even so, I don't think my links can adjust any bigger. Here are some pics, please let me know what I screwed up, if you can tell.

Thanks

Endoquad-

Name:	Lj21607.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	502.2 KB
ID:	675048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64956.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	525.2 KB
ID:	675049  
Old 04-30-2007, 08:12 AM
helifan06

Hello endoquad;

First you have to check your TX switch is in Normal mode; instead of 3D. Its better to have a pitch gauge to setup your pitch. The problem is not the link; its the inner shaft that goes to the pitch servo.

Do this; unplug your motor; and remove the link from the pitch servo to the inner shaft. Put your throattle stick in middle position. and make sure the pitch servo horn is in 90deg. then attached the inner shaft to the servo; and make sure the pitch of the blades is 0deg with respect the fly bar paddles.

when throattle stick is completely down; the pitch should be -2 or -5deg. and when the throatle stick is completely up; your pitch should be +10 or +11deg. You want to have negative pitch because in windy conditions that will allow you to bring the heli down. (I tell this from experience).

Also; you may want to consider to get another radio; maybe a futaba. Its very fustrating to know that your heli crashes because of radio glitch; and not pilot error.

Hope it helps;

Helifan06;

ORIGINAL: endoquad

Ok,

Well I took out my main shaft and replaced it. When I put everything back together, my blade pitch seems to be reversed? I have about neg 10 at 0 throttle and about 0 to +2 at full throttle? This can't be how it was originally set up can it?

Anyway, I can't imagine having to readjust everything when I didn't change anything and even so, I don't think my links can adjust any bigger. Here are some pics, please let me know what I screwed up, if you can tell.

Thanks

Endoquad-
Old 04-30-2007, 08:18 AM
helifan06

Hello fireman69

to check your gyro setup right; I will first remove the main blades; then power up your heli. Place the heli sideways; with the tail fin towards you. Move the tail away from you; the gyro should move the puley towards you. Then move the tail towards you; the gyro to move the tail puley away from you.

if that's not the case with your Raptor; then there's a switch in the gyro; for the direction; change that switch form NORM to REV; or REV to NORM; and you are good to go.

The reason you want to remove the main blades to do this; is because the radio isn't that good; and sometimes it may start to spin; or if you accidentally hit the throatle stick. You can also unplug the motor; if you want.

Hope that helps;

Helifan06;

ORIGINAL: Fireman69

Hello everybody , i'm new to the heli's and i got a G2 myself! I made the mistake of buying a used one off of ebay and got screwed on it , it was damage alot more than i was lead to believe. So i've been repairing it slowly!! Well i got it back together the best i could with what info i had and tried to fly it today , but it cant get the tail to stop spinning in circles. It seems the gyro isn't working but i think after reading afew post the my tail rotors are spinning in the wroung direction ! How do i go about fixing it? Thanks Gary
Old 04-30-2007, 08:56 AM
RaptorXben

Man, this never ends... So I installed my new Spectrum DX6 and programmed it, got the Raptor flying descently. I was having a bit of an issue with it turning to the left, then my battery died (the low power indicator was pretty cool, since the RPMs dropped without changing pitch the heli did a 180 due to the increased torque but maintained altitude and I safely landed).

I went to recharge it and my charger was making a weird buzzing sound (the hoooby.com anodized blue charger), the charger would turn on just fine and sounded ok but as soon as I attached the battery you could hear the fan spin down until a buzzing occured. I let it charge for a while anyway since I was desperate to fly (and I couldn't find any burns on any boards in the charger), eventually the charger just died, no lights, no fan, nothing, (still no burns on the board so I'm assuming a failure in 1 of the transformers windings)... Then I went to fly and slammed into some power lines, I thought the heli was between the lines and me and my father was saying watch those lines, so I turned to fly away from them and slammed into them since the heli was on the FAR side of the lines . The rotors were toast but they were just scavenged damaged rotors from my scrap heap, and my new metal tail was knocked loose but seems ok. I'm just bummed about the charger, my new blades were already in transit but now I'm going to have to wait on a charger.

I'm done with buying chinese garbage, other than the metal parts (which aren't high quality but they're cheap and pretty durable) and rotor blades... basically if its electronic, and from china its garbage.

So anyone have a good suggestion for a new charger (my cheapo 10C 2200mah battery still seems great but I should probably pick up a new batt too)? Sorry to vent.. just frustrated.

Ben

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.