Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

The Exceed Raptor G2 Upgraded

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

The Exceed Raptor G2 Upgraded

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:06 AM
RaptorXben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Exceed Raptor G2 Upgraded

Endoquad, make sure your main shaft is flush with the lower bearings (below the driver gears), theres a groove in it that the allen pins should go into. With the Tx in Normal flight mode loosen the allen on the collectve pitch lever (the piece your servo linkage connects to), this is the allen that holds the rod that goes through the main shaft. With that loose set your pitch to ~-5, tighten the allen and test the servo range to make sure it wont bind in either normal or 3D modes. Hope that helps.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:10 AM
RaptorXben

Just noticed there's an add on this page for the exact charger that's faulty, its the 3E Model Smart Plus Chager. I'd avoid it at all costs.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:12 AM
helifan06

Hello RaptorXben;

Sorry to hear about your crash. Anything happened to the receiver?? Yes; china stuff is very bad quality and the metal parts too. I will go with metal head from xmseller for shogun V2; its compatible with raptor. As least the screw won't get loose after each flight.

Post some pics when you have chance to see how bad was the crash. I'm using the same charger from hooobby.com; the blue one. So far no problems; but I'm thinking to get another lipo battery; an Align one. Does Align sell lipo chargers??

Helifan06;

ORIGINAL: RaptorXben

Man, this never ends... So I installed my new Spectrum DX6 and programmed it, got the Raptor flying descently. I was having a bit of an issue with it turning to the left, then my battery died (the low power indicator was pretty cool, since the RPMs dropped without changing pitch the heli did a 180 due to the increased torque but maintained altitude and I safely landed).

I went to recharge it and my charger was making a weird buzzing sound (the hoooby.com anodized blue charger), the charger would turn on just fine and sounded ok but as soon as I attached the battery you could hear the fan spin down until a buzzing occured. I let it charge for a while anyway since I was desperate to fly (and I couldn't find any burns on any boards in the charger), eventually the charger just died, no lights, no fan, nothing, (still no burns on the board so I'm assuming a failure in 1 of the transformers windings)... Then I went to fly and slammed into some power lines, I thought the heli was between the lines and me and my father was saying watch those lines, so I turned to fly away from them and slammed into them since the heli was on the FAR side of the lines . The rotors were toast but they were just scavenged damaged rotors from my scrap heap, and my new metal tail was knocked loose but seems ok. I'm just bummed about the charger, my new blades were already in transit but now I'm going to have to wait on a charger.

I'm done with buying chinese garbage, other than the metal parts (which aren't high quality but they're cheap and pretty durable) and rotor blades... basically if its electronic, and from china its garbage.

So anyone have a good suggestion for a new charger (my cheapo 10C 2200mah battery still seems great but I should probably pick up a new batt too)? Sorry to vent.. just frustrated.

Ben
Old 04-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Fireman69

Thanks for the info Helifan06 , But i noticed my tail blades are spinning backwards and i don't know how to correct this!!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:48 AM
helifan06

You mean backwards with the nose pointing away from you?? If that's the case; they are spining in the right direction.

helifan06;

ORIGINAL: Fireman69

Thanks for the info Helifan06 , But i noticed my tail blades are spinning backwards and i don't know how to correct this!!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:54 AM
RaptorXben

Fireman, if you find the blades really spinning the wrong direction you have a turn in the belt.

Helifan, thanks for the condolenses . The damage is just rotor blades and a few slipped parts (blade holders etc), luckily the new Rx and servos were fine. This Rx is TINY, smaller than a postage stamp and almost weigthless, it has 2 antennas just 3 inches each.. very cool, and so far glitch free. Hope the charger doesn't die on you.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:43 AM
endoquad

Thanks guys,

I forgot that I needed the little slider thingy to be in the middle of its movement. I had it all the way down at the bottom. Needless to say it was binding up the servos pretty bad. It is fixed wonderfully now.

Endoquad-
Old 04-30-2007, 12:39 PM
starcop

Hello endoquad, First thing you need to fix is the washout. Look at my picture, the washout is the red part on the rotor shaft that the mixing arms are attched too. You have it on upside down. Notice that the washout has 2 screw holes on each side, they are offset one forward and one back. When you install that piece upside down you will notice the radious arms are not straight up and down with the swashplate ball links. Also when you install the inner shaft make sure the end of the threaded rod it flush with that little square piece that runs through the principle axis (rotor shaft). After everything is installed (level) the blade padels, mixing arms, etc. Again look at my photos. You may have to adjust the inner rod slightly to get proper pitch. Also make sure the servo arm is level with everything eles. I guess pictures are the best way to see what I'm talking about. You can see in the picture that with my main rotor blades level zero pitch all the mixing arms linkage rods flybar paddels are all level. You really need to buy a pitch guage! It's a must after the repairs you've done. I have my pitch servo set so that at full throttle my washout moves all the way up on the rotor shaft and it's giving me 11 degrees of rotor blade pitch. The servo arm is level at the point, the pit and plt knobs can be adjusted (with the motor unplugged!) when you are setting all this up. Once you have made the correct settings just leave them where they are when you fly. So look at the pictures and fix the washout and we can go from there. starcop

PS: From the picture you posted it looks upside down double check or maybe send me another picture just to be sure.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58766.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	675327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97675.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	675328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82556.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	675329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27862.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	675330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xj63440.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	675331  
Old 04-30-2007, 03:57 PM
BladeBrkr

Hello everyone. I bought a Raptor G2 SE a month ago and wrecked it during maiden flight which lasted about 2 seconds. At the time I knew very little about RC Helicopters and have since, from this and the Walkera 36 forum, learned a great deal. When I tried to fly the helicopter it slid left across the floor so I gave it more throttle and a little right cyclic to try and get it up figuring it was sliding due to rotor wash and it started sliding even faster, came off the ground about a foot, and slammed into a chain link fence resulting in busted main blades, blade holders, mixing arms and bent main shaft & flybar. Looking back on pre-flight I recall the flybar paddles were not at at the same pitch, main blades did not seem to change pitch the same, one did not to move as much, and one of the link rods to main blade holder was slightly bent. Well being a newbie and wanting to try it out I ignored these things. My new CNC head and other parts should be here anytime and I am anxious to get it back together and DIALED in. About the only thing I did before first flight was adjust swashplate and check correct function of servos. I look at this as part of the learning curve so I am not disappointed and know that there are several more crashes to be had but they will not be due to the heli not being DIALED in mechanically, that lesson is over and I am looking forward to the next one.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:46 PM
bjj0866

starcop do you have any pics of the bearing setup between the gears and top bearing block
Old 04-30-2007, 07:23 PM
imnew4321

hey helifan, yes align has a charger and it is great. it is really small but great. it takes 1.5 hours to charge a battery and has all of the bells and whistles. I would definatly reccomend it. I posted it earlier in this thread. You can charge all types of batteries to. it isnt really expensive either. here it is [link=http://www.helidirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=116&products_id=881]the magnifico[/link]
Old 04-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Compstall

Well, after bidding the hell out of several heli's and giving up against all the greedy *******s on Ebay, I caved in and purchased a new one today at a LHS. I finally decided to go with a CX2 instead of a Raptor or Blade CP, but I'm not ruling them out. I look forward to learning on this little heli and then moving up a step to something like the Raptor G2. I have had a blast with it so far, and got quite a bit of flying in before finally cracking a blade. At least these blades are only $2 a pair.

I will mod this one a bit and see where it takes me, since these little guys seem to have pretty good resale value on Ebay for when the time comes to step it up a notch.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:04 AM
oli.richards

For anyone that wants it I found some helicopter mauals http://www.helihobby.com/html/documentation.html it has one for the T-rex
Old 05-01-2007, 09:47 AM
helifan06

How many 3 cell can be charged at the same time??

Helifan06;

ORIGINAL: imnew4321

hey helifan, yes align has a charger and it is great. it is really small but great. it takes 1.5 hours to charge a battery and has all of the bells and whistles. I would definatly reccomend it. I posted it earlier in this thread. You can charge all types of batteries to. it isnt really expensive either. here it is [link=http://www.helidirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=116&products_id=881]the magnifico[/link]
Old 05-01-2007, 09:49 AM
helifan06

Hello BladeBrkr

I will recomend the finless videos for trex heli @ helifreaks.com. You will learn a lot from setting up your heli after your crash.

Good Luck!

Helifan06;

ORIGINAL: BladeBrkr

Hello everyone. I bought a Raptor G2 SE a month ago and wrecked it during maiden flight which lasted about 2 seconds. At the time I knew very little about RC Helicopters and have since, from this and the Walkera 36 forum, learned a great deal. When I tried to fly the helicopter it slid left across the floor so I gave it more throttle and a little right cyclic to try and get it up figuring it was sliding due to rotor wash and it started sliding even faster, came off the ground about a foot, and slammed into a chain link fence resulting in busted main blades, blade holders, mixing arms and bent main shaft & flybar. Looking back on pre-flight I recall the flybar paddles were not at at the same pitch, main blades did not seem to change pitch the same, one did not to move as much, and one of the link rods to main blade holder was slightly bent. Well being a newbie and wanting to try it out I ignored these things. My new CNC head and other parts should be here anytime and I am anxious to get it back together and DIALED in. About the only thing I did before first flight was adjust swashplate and check correct function of servos. I look at this as part of the learning curve so I am not disappointed and know that there are several more crashes to be had but they will not be due to the heli not being DIALED in mechanically, that lesson is over and I am looking forward to the next one.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:55 AM
helifan06

Hello BladeBrkr;

I would also recomend to get a futaba TX and receiver. You can use it for your next heli; but it is a wise investment; you will save lots of money in spare parts. Stock tx/rx do have glitches; and also its more safety.

helifan06;
Old 05-01-2007, 11:13 AM
BladeBrkr

Thanks Helifan06 a new Tx/Receiver and servos are on my priority list, I will check out those vids too. Will Hitec HS-55 servos work fine all the way around or should I use something different for the Gyro?
Old 05-01-2007, 01:39 PM
helifan06

Hello BladeBrkr;

When I started with his hobby; I learned things the hard way; is not because of forums like this and kewl guys like starcop; imne4321; raptorXben; that I learned a lot.

I wanted to save money; and buy cheap components that will work. I was so wrong. I end up spending more time and money in spare parts because of bad quality components.

You can buy good components that are reliable and those will save you time and crashes (except pilot error of course). I have 401GYRO on my heli; and I believe HS56 are very popular servos; like $26 bucks each.

I think you can start with Tx/Receiver; I don't think the futaba receiver can drive the motor directly if you have brush motor. Get Align brushless motor and ESC; they are pretty reliable. The align brushless motor is very light; and since its a outrunner; it doesn't get hot that much. Plus it has tons of power. You can use stock servos; no problem with that.

I have a cheapo futaba radio ($200); and you can program upto 6 helis; just need extra receiver on each bird ($75?). It has rechargeable batteries; so you don't spend money to 8 AA batteries (I spent about $40bucks in 1 month). Just need to charge overnight. It has digital trims; and LCD display; and you can program throatle curves and pitch curves. If you want to upgrade your heli to CNC metal parts; don't buy those of Walkera. Go to this site xmseller.com; and look for Shogun V2. Those are compatible with your raptor.

Good Luck!!

helifan06;

ORIGINAL: BladeBrkr

Thanks Helifan06 a new Tx/Receiver and servos are on my priority list, I will check out those vids too. Will Hitec HS-55 servos work fine all the way around or should I use something different for the Gyro?
Old 05-01-2007, 07:45 PM
imnew4321

hey heli fan you can charge two at a timr.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:53 AM
RaptorXben

For a new radio I'd look at the Spektrum DX6, I got mine for 170 including Rx and 4 HS-75s (I believe). I only had a chance to fly for a few minutes since I swapped radio but it seems very good and EVERYTHING is programmable easily. Once I had done the physical installataion the programming took me about 10 minutes before it was 'flyable'. I still use 1 HS-55 for my tail and it works just fine (it was cheap too, like $11 buy it now on ebay). I would have to agree 100% with Helifan, don't waste your money buying cheap stuff. The metal head/tail gear is worth it (@ $40sih for both) and makes a big improvement but things come loose (DEFINITELY loctite everything) and the quality is mediocre, expecially with screws that break and blade holders that bend and slip easily (I bend my blade holders back to shape with my fingers after a crash). Don't waste 1 dime on walkera motors or batteries, I went with the Helimax motor and ESC and have had 0 problems. If I had to start over I would probobly build a Raptor from scratch, just start with the frame and buy good motor and electronics. I bet a great flying G2 could be built for about 300-400 including quality radio, motor and head/tail. Thats still cheaper than a Trex and all components could be used when you upgrade. The Raptor itself would cost under 100.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:14 PM
helifan06

I agree; but unfortunately that was part of the learning process. I got interested in this hobby because a co-worker had a TREX. He showed me the RFG3 sim; and it was pretty interesting. I'm glad I didn't start with counter-blade helis; although its easy to fly I don't see any challenge there in learning to hover.

The W4; or Falcon 4 was another heli I was looking into; but it has tail motor; which many reviews says it get damage pretty easy. I believe the next heli was W22; that has a tail gear (not belt); So I choose the Raptor G2. Which got sold for $210 on ebay; congrats to the winner of the bid...

But if I've know all what I've learn; I will get the Shogun V2 with all metal parts; and then get the electronics. So at the end; you end up with a TREX 450 SE v1.

CopterX, 3dx, hdx are good helis for 1/2 price of a TREX. Many people is switching to DX6 and now there's DX7. I guess that's to boom right now;

Helifan06;
Old 05-02-2007, 08:14 PM
starcop

Hi Everyone, The bearings on the top go as follows. I don't have any pictures, I will have to look. I have hundreds! The large aluminum spacer goes on top, the bearings are 3 piece bottum bearing sleeve then the bearing and top it off with the other sleeve. It's pretty self explanitory how they go together once you see them. Here are a few repair pictures. Hope this helps. starcop

Name:	Fd92717.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	676724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28562.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	676725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53230.jpg
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	676726  
Old 05-02-2007, 09:22 PM
hanibul

Hi all, was wondering how long does it take to recharge a lipo battery to full is it more then 3 hours it keeps blinking red and not green. plmk
Mark
Old 05-02-2007, 10:11 PM
starcop

Hi hanibul, Most li-po chargers should fully charge a battery in 1 to 2 hours max. I guess there might be special curcumstances with a charger that it can take longer but anything over that I'd think about buying a better battery charger. Is the charger li-po compatible also you might want to unplug and try to start the cycle over. Mine takes 45 minutes to charge 2 2100 Align Li-po packs. It's charging 2 at a time at 1.0 amps. starcop

Name:	Rp44574.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	676806  
Old 05-03-2007, 10:31 AM
starcop

Hello Everyone, Not a day for fliing. It's been so nice the last few days absolutely zero wind almost dead calm. Now I look outside and it's snowing, crazy mountains. Oh well at least I had several days with no wind. My Raptor G2 just flys flawless. I'm amazed with the way I'm fliing now and not crashing. I'm fliing all over my 3 acres pretty high in the air just so if I goof I have time to correct. Another thing for new pilots is after learning to hover, keep the helicopter well above earth so you have reaction time. I always stayed low thinking the less damage will accure if I crash. Actually it's the opposite when your higher it still can autogyro on the way down. I can remember my battery going dead at 50 feet up and watching it fall to earth the only thing that broke was the landing skid. Then I've had it hit the ground from 3 feet and bend the main axis, crack the frame in half and so on. Also it has more time for the rotor blades to slow down. The worst crash is the one with full throttle or just as you shut it down the energy in the rotors is still 100 ft Lbs at least. Well keep it upright. starcop

Name:	Nk28231.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	677013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32960.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	677014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81945.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	677015  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.