Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

X SS worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 06:23 PM
mdh1979

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X SS worth it?

Is the savage x ss really worth it as compared to the rtr considering it doesn't include a roto start, servos, and radio? Do the included upgrades really add up to the difference even when you take into account that it doesn't include all the previously mentioned things? What exactly does the ss come with that the rtr doesnt? I already have my mind made up to get the SS but i'm just trying to make sense of this.

Matt
Old 05-08-2007, 06:35 PM
BCKoots

Default RE: X SS worth it?

The X SS comes with a HPI 4.6 engine, tuned exhaust, upgraded drive train (diffs, cups, dogbones, steel spur gear). Also comes with different rubber, and I'm sure I am missing a few things. Yes it is worth it.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:39 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for yes. The *critical* upgrades are already done for you, so all you have to do is stab a radio in and go.[8D]
Old 05-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Kokopelli06

Like they both said, and you can put a kick a@@ steering servo in there and not worry about it breaking.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Nathan9492

yes it is worth it. All the new upgrades are already on it.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Hugger99

In the process of building mine as we speak. This thing looks like it's built TOUGH.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:58 PM
Tanno

If you are questioning the toughness of it.... one would have to ask you, what do you have in mind to subject it to? Crash testing into a wall? Anything will break, it's just at what threshold. I will take quite a beating.

I'll tell you this. I had issues with my EK-4 breaking a-arms, bumpers, body mounts, dog bones, bodies, rims, etc. I never got the EK-4 more than about 3 ft off the ground. Just about every other cartwheel or jump would break something.

Now, I still have the EK-4 because it's just shear power....nothing can touch it other than 1/5th scales.

I now also have a Savage X SS and love the damn thing. I've had it at about 3' up and flat belly landings on concrete.......nothing broke. I've done this about 30 times already and nothing....just a couple of loose screws. I've landed from that 3' square on the front bumper and on the rear......nothing....cartwheels over and over.....nothing has broken or cracked. I'm impressed. I love my savage. I'm getting the nerve to jump higher....so much so that I've built a ramp that will allow this. It tickles me every time the savage survives a jump - no matter the hieght.

I've had it since 4/1/07 and have about 1-1/2 gals through it.....I run it just a bit. BTW I still use the pull start. I have the rotostart, but waiting for the pull start to die.

I'll have to post pictures of it in action when I get them....it's hard to take pictures and have fun at the same time.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:27 PM
The_DDub

Yeah, I have dropped mine for 5 ft and done running carthwheels with it and nothing has broken. Everything is still in tact. The X is a beast. SS just has some upgraded components.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:50 PM
ravenlunatic

i've got the xss. it's a tough truck handling the jumps and spills but man those HD dog bones are crap! i've snapped my first one landing from a curb. they're just too stiff. the regular ones are abit more flexible and have some give to them under pressure and don't just snap.other than the dog bones i love my xss
Old 05-09-2007, 11:19 PM
mdh1979

My original query wasn't about toughness, it was about weighing the price difference (very little) versus what you get for the money.

Savage X RTR: Comes with radio, servos, roto start for ~ $430

Savage X SS: NO radio, NO servos, NO roto start ~ $430

So would a true statement be - Savage X SS upgrades = the cost of roto start, radio gear and servos?

Just something i was thinking about, i'm still set on the SS

Matt
Old 05-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Losimf2

I am thinking of purchasing the X ss as well. Do you have to build the diffs and gearbox as well? I hate it when they are assembled.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:03 AM
Nathan9492

the diffs and Gearbox are already assembled.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:05 AM
lpa12threh

I landed on the roof and butt over and over again from a good 8 feet in the air going fairly fast. I did end up bending a tvp, but my cousin has the same RC and was doing the same stuff and nothing broke on his. Guess I got unlucky. For most other RCs, it would be considered lucky for it to have lasted so long.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:30 AM
Prior1ty

I also have the X SS and just finished building it. The diffs and gearbox come pre-assembled, but I think something's wrong with the gearbox I have. Only the front wheels rotate? [:@]
Old 05-10-2007, 05:38 AM
Prior1ty

ORIGINAL: Tanno
I will take quite a beating.
Is that so?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:34 AM
Tanno

Well, the RTR vs KIT is not whether it's worth it. It's what you want.

With the RTR you get it RTR.....w/ electronics. This is the one to get if you don't care what controller you get and what servos are with it just as long as it works.

The KIT form w/o electronics is for those of us who either have electronics for it or want specific electronics for it. I for one, prefer choosing my own electronics. Choosing the radio you use can determine whether you have mid-run adjument capability or finite tuning ability.

It's all in what you want. I have a have a 3PK w/ Spektrum DSM and Telementry, All digital servos w/ the steering being a titanium gear. I prefer hitec for servos and Futaba for controllers.

But, again.... to each his own.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:27 PM
mdh1979

Hey Tanno I moved to Longmont last year (even though i've lived here before). You ever go to the HobbyTown here? How is the service?

Matt
Old 05-20-2007, 07:30 AM
Tanno

Yes, I've been there many times. Service isn't bad, but could be better. My thought is they are understaffed during the times I've been there. They've recently moved and are in a bigger shop. But in the last month they can't seem to get any damn fuel bottles.

They're prices aren't too bad either.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:32 AM
Tanno

So, you're in Longmont, huh? We've got to go run sometime.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:40 PM
mdh1979

Yeah sure. School and work have me tied up most of the time. I go to FRCC. Prices not bad huh? Maybe not everything else but i recently noticed that they had a couple Savage X RTR 4.1 for $530 !!! Now call me cheap but 100 bucks over Tower's price? Seems like a little too much.

Matt