Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:38 AM
Rdrunner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Received my GWS Dragonfly parts from Tower Hobbies today, installed all parts above the swash plate, perfect fit
Awaiting battery to charge up and to see the results

If anyone is interested, here are the required parts

GWS Adapter #23 $1.89
GWS Center Hub #004 $8.49
GWS Hub Reinforcement # HAS-003 $1.25
GWs Outer Control Plate # 007 $2.19
GWS Rotor Head #025 $1.89
GWS Main Blade Control Link # 034 $1.89 Total of $17.60 + SH

I actually bought 2 sets of each item and 1 set of 6 blades, the setup looks more steadier then the F40 setup
below is the picture to show where to cutoff the Center Hub. I hope this will help anyone wanting to do this mod

BTW still no sign of the CNC Aluminium Rotor Core, total of 21 days [:@]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72064.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	681969  
Old 05-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Rdrunner

I got to hover for a few seconds, what a difference this new setup made, I actually need to do some trimming
now all I need to do is charge my lipo's and will continue to test tommorrow after work [sm=redface.gif] [sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 05-11-2007, 07:54 AM
mainefreak

Thanks robotronski, you do tons to help us electro/helo neophytes. My servos actually do not twitch like in interferance, they do not respond correctly to transmitter input. When I move the transmitter stick the servo responds only sometimes. If I mess with the trim slider on the transmitter, sometimes I can get the nonresponsiveness to stop for a flight. I thinks I may be donating more money to the helicopter gods.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:41 PM
crimsonrain22

Well my falcon will be here on tuesday. So im waiting. Used to have a 60 sized back when it was 700.00 just to get into a heli. And have a few flights under my belt from way back. Cant wait for this one to get here now that they are down in price. This forum is great. Have learned lots and looking forward to learning more. Funny how something as simple as a 29.00 havak heli can bite down on you and give you the bug again. Looking forward to the renewed addiction.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:30 PM
robotronski

ORIGINAL: mainefreak

When I move the transmitter stick the servo responds only sometimes. If I mess with the trim slider on the transmitter, sometimes I can get the nonresponsiveness to stop for a flight.
Maybe the Tx is bad??? You don't have another laying around by chance, as you can swap the crystal to match the RX frequency and perahps narrow the true source of the problem. I love being able to swap out parts to diagnose a problem, only catch is you need two of everything.

Have you opened up the transmitter yet and looked for a loose wire or bad solder joint on one of the potentiometers (round do-dad with 3 wires connected to them) that move when the joystick moves??? Lots of flex sometimes on those wires when the sticks go back and forth.

Keep looking for the obvious stuff, as most circuits are very rugged and the problem is almost always something non-electronic part related.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:57 PM
DreaminR6

Hovering nose in now. It was pretty hard at first, but I can now get in some good minute or longer hovers. I have been reading into the Trex after robo suggested it. That is a nice bird. I went and watched all of the "finless bobs" videos on the 450SE and now have plans on buying one once my skills and budget allow for it. I think the prospect of building it is just as exciting as flying it. But that will have to wait.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:41 PM
mainefreak

Thanks robotronski, I took apart my transmitter and as I touched the wires to the potentiometer, they came loose from the potentiometer. After soldering them back on, the helo performed better than it ever has. I am new to the helo thing and my progress was slow. I think my last crash that took out my rotor head and blades was due to the above mentioned failure and also the faulty connections have hindered my progress as when I fixed it, the servos were more responsive then they have ever been. If you had not given me your advice, I would ordered a 4 1 and waited weeks for it only to install it with no fix. I think at that point I would have really doubted my entry into helos and gone back to airplanes. You have put me back in the game and made my day. I can't thank you and the other people of this forum enough. Now on to break other parts. Thanks again.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:59 AM
robotronski

Mainefreak, awsome job as YOU located and fixed the problem yourself.

I'm gonna' nominate you as the new transmiiter expert now.

Its too bad so many others give up on the hobby from such simple setbacks, but not you.

Now go FLY (pronounced: Break Some Parts) !!!!

Robo
Old 05-13-2007, 09:07 AM
robotronski

ORIGINAL: DreaminR6

Hovering nose in now.
All right, how about a you tube video for us to enjoy????

It seems like you conquered the mental hurdle of nose-in. Most of us were ready for nose-in a long time a go, but I know I was just tooCHICKEN to whip it around 180 degrees.

Still havent tried a nose in landing on the Trex yet...

What... ME... Chicken... ?????? Ha!!!!

Old 05-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Optilis

Hello just bought a Falcon 40 and its gonna be here wednesday!! Cant wait. Thank goodness for this thread!

Thankyou everyone for you input here. Im glad to see such a strong community!

Old 05-13-2007, 09:09 PM
robotronski

Welcome to the Falcon 40 thread Optilis, glad to have you join us here.

If you have some time to kill, try to read as many previous posts as possible since many questions you are about to have may have already been asked/answered here by some other pilot.

Its a nice little heli and a good introduction to the hobby.

Best of luck to ya'

Robo
Old 05-14-2007, 10:46 AM
DreaminR6

I'll see what I can do about getting a vid. I was getting really frustrated when I first started doing nose-in. I kept thinking to myself, "It is going to take a while, be patient." But I was still pretty ticked off after my first battery of it.

Optillis, this is a great thread. Hopefully you won't need all the troubleshooting and fixing posts, but its always nice to know that it is here for ya if you need it. Happy flying, or bouncing and sliding (if you're new to flying).
Old 05-14-2007, 10:53 AM
jmaguilar

When you place a Crystal in a rx or tx, is there a side up for it? or it can you plug it in in any way, How can these crystals be damaged?? can it be messed up in a crash even if it looks ok? Thnx.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:47 AM
robotronski

ORIGINAL: jmaguilar

When you place a Crystal in a rx or tx, is there a side up for it? or it can you plug it in in any way, How can these crystals be damaged?? can it be messed up in a crash even if it looks ok? Thnx.
No issues with direction, plug it in however it fits. As far as damage goes, crystals are very rugged themselves however the wire leads exiting the crystal package can break off or crack but it would take a real smart impact to do this. Some larger crystals can break free from their holder but these are typically kHz frequency units and your Tx has a frequency in the 72MHz range and that makes the physical size smaller and less susceptible to G-forces from a crash.

The crystal is actually just a thin piece of quartz (a rock !!!) that oscillates(vibrates) at a specific frequency. The thickness of the slice determines the frequency of the crystal. There's actually no real electronic circuitry inside the little silver box with the 2 leads exiting it.

In fact its the same principle that allows us to use a quartz crystal as the sensor inside a modern RC Piezo Gyro.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:10 PM
jmaguilar

Thanks for the great info. I really appreciate it.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Rdrunner

Hey Guys,

Got to fly my heli today for about 15 minutes , but a gust of wind blew the heli and crashed, breaking the main frame by the tail boom area [:@].

Robo, my Yaw servo ( I guess that's what I could think of as far naming it ) is jittery, is my 4in1 going bad, the jitters does come on and off or is it my servo thats going bad, there has been some twitching going on while practising in the garage.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:39 PM
crimsonrain22

Well my heli should be here tomorrow, I fell like a kid again lol cant wait. Been loggin alot of time on the sim can do hover and nose in pretty well. O well im sure there will be lots of parts in the mail soon. Thanks again for all the information and work that has gone into this thread. I have read all of it now i feel like im ready more most anyway as you are never ready for everything.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:19 PM
ronf79

Rdrunner,
Switch the servo plugs and see if the glitch follows the connection or if the same servo is glitching. That way you will be able to tell if it is just a servo and not your 4 in 1. If the same sevo glitches even though you switched the plugs, you know it is a problem with that servo.

Hope that helps,
Ron
Old 05-14-2007, 06:44 PM
robotronski

Rdrunner,
I would have told you to do exactly what ronf79 said.

Swap em' and see where the problem moves to... Excellent advice in that previous post.

Robo
Old 05-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Rdrunner

Thanks Ron and Robo

I'll give that a shot, is the servos glue on to the frame ( double sided tape kinda thing )

BTW, Ron , thanks for the tip on switching to GWS parts,much,much better than the stock parts

still no CNC Rotor core [:@]
Old 05-14-2007, 10:39 PM
mrasmm

ORIGINAL: crimsonrain22

Well my heli should be here tomorrow, I fell like a kid again lol cant wait. Been loggin alot of time on the sim can do hover and nose in pretty well. O well im sure there will be lots of parts in the mail soon. Thanks again for all the information and work that has gone into this thread. I have read all of it now i feel like im ready more most anyway as you are never ready for everything.

good to hear =) flying heli's is alot of fun I felt the same way too when I got my heli =) Like a childhood dream I never got the chance to follow =P hehe

happy flying [8D]
Old 05-15-2007, 01:27 AM
Rdrunner

Hey guys

I switch servo connections and both servos started glitching, one more than the other, so, I guess a faulty 4in1 []
That's another expense, besides the frame, also found stressed cracks on tail boom and flybar [:@]
Old 05-15-2007, 08:43 AM
crimsonrain22

ORIGINAL: Rdrunner

Hey guys

I switch servo connections and both servos started glitching, one more than the other, so, I guess a faulty 4in1 []
That's another expense, besides the frame, also found stressed cracks on tail boom and flybar [:@]
Well look at the brighter side of things now you have good excuse to order some superskids to replace all of that
Old 05-15-2007, 09:08 AM
Rdrunner

ORIGINAL: crimsonrain22
Well look at the brighter side of things now you have good excuse to order some superskids to replace all of that

I already switched over to Superskids after breaking the originals next step is to put a fuse on the motor seen here
Old 05-15-2007, 10:38 AM
J-Cube

You should also get new servos. I use two Hitech HS-55's and they work great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.