Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 06:47 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

wade, the rpm pipe is an all around pipe, much better than the stock one and cheaper than the tsais pipe.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:49 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: daveschutt

EHROOF the engine is hot when i have this problem. If I did blow an engine it would not make any sense because I always ran it rich, maintained it and if it is too lean it still has a lot of blue smoke coming out . I have only ran about 3 quarts through it so I do not know what is going on.[sm=72_72.gif]

Ya knopw what else might be going on is you might have a fuel leak in your fuel line or an air leak in your exhaust system, makes it seem like it's rich because of your tune settings but it's realy running lean in the engine. Take your fuel lines off and cover one end with your finger and blow in the other end and see if it holds air pressure, OR you could do like Eroof has said a few times and spray nitro fuel on the engine to see if it revs up, or if something bubbles, if it revs up it's sucking in air.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:52 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ORIGINAL: ehroof

wade, the rpm pipe is an all around pipe, much better than the stock one and cheaper than the tsais pipe.

Ya, but it lags alot on the bottom end, I don't know, I just don't like it on the VX engines and have had a few people come back complaining about them not having the performance they wanted and they were sluggish on the bottom end, I don't know, I was just giving my two cents, from feed back I've gotten here locally.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:26 PM
holliwud

i'm running on 20% nitro
Old 05-11-2007, 08:43 PM
ehroof

i am suprised, i use the rpm pipe on my hpi mt and my rs4 w/os .18 and its a great pipe, i dont have one on my redcat so i honestly dont know how it works for the vx .18 but seeing the performance it gives on the other engines i would think it would be a great improvement over the stock plastic pipe.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

I got one on the tsunami and I think it is working out pretty good.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:13 AM
daveschutt

ehroof the engine is overheating and i did replace the gas tank and the fuel line. Some guy at the track told me to send it to a guy who can pinch the piston sleeve. The web site is www.rayaracing.com. It is cheap quick and the guy said it will make your engine like new.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:02 PM
ehroof

maybe you have an air leak at the base of the carb, on the backplate of the engine or even the head. make sure all screws are tight on the head, puts some rtv silicone on the base of the carb and maybe the backplate too, spay some nitro fuel on these places while it is idleing and if the idle raised then thats where your leak is.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:23 AM
brianmarks78

hey there,
I just ordered a tornado xl, It's in the mail. I also ordered the traxxas clutch and spring 4146.
I also need the hpi clutch bell 17 tooth. does it matter which one , vented or not vented? Some come with 2 bearings and some dont? If someone can help me with the hpi decision? some are around $7 and some are around $15??
hey thank you
brian
Old 05-13-2007, 10:30 AM
ehroof

hi brian, you can get either one, the vented one is better cause its lighter and vents the clutch shoes, the bearings are good to have too. here is a link to a good deal on a vented racing clutch with bearings.

http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...-vented/Detail

wait until you get the car since i heard the new xl's are coming with the better springs and clutch bells already.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:35 AM
brianmarks78

hey there,
will wait then, when it comes in, and if it breaks I will buy. I will add your link to my favorites
brian
Old 05-13-2007, 12:20 PM
xoutas

Hello, I just picked up the HPI 13T/18T clutch bell for the tornado BB 2 speed, maybe I am missing something, or maybe this was posted already but I just can't find it. But do I need different bearings or something, because the bell dosen't fit with the original bearing, so if someone could direct me to the proper ones and maybe how to assemble it that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:50 PM
ehroof

you need the needle bearing, 3 - 5x8x2.5 bushings or bearing and a 5/16 tension pin cut so you can extend the clutch nut, do this modification because its definately worth how much better it is.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:20 PM
xoutas

Thank you, I am going to put order them now.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:49 PM
TORNADO BB

Today i was out racing and my car died than started to smoke and it was 370f. I let it cool then i start it and its 280 still overheating but runs with optimum power whats wrong
Old 05-13-2007, 05:55 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Well, either you have a small air leak and it's making it run lean OR you have it tuned to lean. You can check for leaks by putting some nitro fuel in a squirt bottle and spraying it around the engine and see if it revs up also chekc for bubbles while your doing it. Also take the fuel lines off and plug one end and blow in the other to see if holds the air, also check your exhaust gasket and see if it's leaking. Ussually if your exhasut gasket is leaking there will be nitro fuel running down the side of the engine under the exhaust manifold.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:57 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ORIGINAL: brianmarks78

hey there,
I just ordered a tornado xl, It's in the mail. I also ordered the traxxas clutch and spring 4146.
I also need the hpi clutch bell 17 tooth. does it matter which one , vented or not vented? Some come with 2 bearings and some dont? If someone can help me with the hpi decision? some are around $7 and some are around $15??
hey thank you
brian

HPI clutch bell with bearings
[link=http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_17_24&products_id=419]http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_17_24&products_id=419[/link]
Old 05-13-2007, 06:19 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: TORNADO BB

Today i was out racing and my car died than started to smoke and it was 370f. I let it cool then i start it and its 280 still overheating but runs with optimum power whats wrong

holy cow bro, 370 [X(] !!!!!! Do like AAFH said, sounds like you may have an air leak or an overly lean high speed needle.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:21 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

hey there,
hey thank you
brian

[link=http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_17_24&products_id=419]http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_17_24&products_id=419[/link]

For the extra $1.99 he is better off with the vented racing clutch bell: http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...-vented/Detail
Old 05-13-2007, 06:37 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

LMAO, hey ya know my STS 30 won't perrrr till it hits about 300 degrees, lol, about then it starts screaming, won't run any other way either, lol. But I think he has some serious tunning issues.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:40 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ORIGINAL: ehroof

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

hey there,
hey thank you
brian

For the extra $1.99 he is better off with the vented racing clutch bell: http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...-vented/Detail
I guess, I just don't like the way they let dirt stuff get inside the bell and tear up the shoes.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:47 PM
ehroof

no dirt every gets inside of mine, i have that bell on all my single speed redcats, not to mention its lighter and keeps the shoes cooler.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:15 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

I'm jacking with you now Your right it does keep the shoes cooler, I have one on my Hurricane and my Volcano and my brothers Tornado.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:51 PM
POORE T

okay,i got all my upgrade parts for my tornado bb pro.which was the clutch bell 2 gears,and tax.spring after i got it all together,the motor would not sit in right.and i saw that the gears are hitting something like a stablelizer bar.that you screw the top plate onto. i was told by someone on here that i would not have to change the spur gears.but the papers that came with the gears,said i would have to use a differnt spur gear or something like that.i noticed the gear that was gold is a little bigger than the orginal clutch bell gear. i will try to upload a couple of pics i took but not sure how but if you see the pics it's the black thing at the tip of the screw driver that it's hitting,so i'm at a stand still so please help. tony
Old 05-14-2007, 10:55 PM
POORE T

sorry heres the pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89016.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	684750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37660.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	684751  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.