Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

angle under which the engine should be placed ?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

angle under which the engine should be placed ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Prophex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default angle under which the engine should be placed ?

Hi,

I have a 3D capable airplane, similair to the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBGB0&P=0]Modeltech Magic 3D[/link], but the kit did not include any specifications under which angle the engine should be placed. If I remember correctly from my trainer, the engine had to point about 4° to the right, but I'm not so sure anymore. Could anyone give me the exact angle under which I have to mount the engine pls ? (It's an OS .46AX if that matters) Is it absolutly necessairy to mount the engine under an angle ? (what's the purpose ?)

Also, the firewall of the kit is just flat and not under an angle, so the motor mount which I bought seperatly for my OS .46AX would be mounted under a straight 90° angle. Does anyone have any tips on how I should give the motor mount the 4° or whatever ° angle ? Like put a piece of wood underneath one side of the motor mount to make it tilt a bit to the right.

Hmmm, upon reading my own post, I notice that most people will probably have no idea what I'm talking about. (I should realy learn the correct english terms once) So if needed, I'll post some pics of what I mean aswell.

thx,
Prophex
Old 05-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: angle under which the engine should be placed ?

I suggest flying the plane 1st, then decide if the engine needs any right/down thrust.

MOST planes only need the right thrust to counteract the prop torque on takeoff (use the rudder to counteract the torque )

If it does need right thrust, I use washers between the motor mount and the firewall and for down thrust between the rear bolts on the engine and the motor mount. A variety of thicknesses can be found in the FASTENER section of most hardware stores (Ace, True Value, etc. )
Old 05-22-2007, 12:54 PM
broke_n_bummin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: angle under which the engine should be placed ?

The angle of the fire wall on a trainer is to counteract the P factor and wing incidence. 3d or precision flying such as pattern planes rely on the pilot to and radio to make the necessary adjustments.. As stated above, if you feel it needs adjusting after flying it, you can shim the engine mount.