Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

R/C Airplane reccomendation for a beginner?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

R/C Airplane reccomendation for a beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:38 AM
KGif

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/C Airplane reccomendation for a beginner?

Hello!

I hope I am asking this in the proper forum. Please excuse my ignorance if not.

My husband would like to introduce my son to remote control airplanes. He figures it will be a great father/son hobby for the two of him as my son gets older. My son is only 2 - but I thought it would be a great idea to get my husband his first rc airplane as a gift from our son for Father's Day. I have NO idea where to start! My husband has little to no experience so I'm assuming it would be best to get him something aimed at beginners but also that can grow with him as he gains experience if something like that exists. As far as types of planes I know he'd be most interested in one that is military in style. Price wise I'd like to keep it in the $100 range if that is possible. My max would be $150.

ANY feedback you could provide is much appreciated Also if I am asking this question in the wrong place OR if what you are discussing here is way too advanced for my needs please feel free to let me know!

Old 05-22-2007, 10:10 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: R/C Airplane reccomendation for a beginner?

There is not much that he can "grow" with for $150. Most setups in that range are throw-aways or "toy" grade. Good quality set-ups will run upwards of $300 or more, for all the needed equipment. That's not to say there is nothing in that rage, but not much.
R/C models are not the sort of gift you "surprise" someone with. If he is serious about learning to fly, he needs to go to the local Hobby Shops and flying sites, and talk to the people involved, to get some direction.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:00 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with TLH101. THe Radio Controlled Hobby is not a casual thing. It is a commitment. When I first became aware of how far the RC technolgy had come in 1980 I decided to just think about it for at least 30 days before deciding to commit to buying the equipment and learning to fly. Good luck with your (and his decision).
Old 05-22-2007, 03:46 PM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

Please don't be scarred of by the above posts. They are totally correct but not meant to be elitist at all. You should go to the local hobby shop as a family, ask them about r/c flying clubs in your area, and then go to the club flying site on a day when they are flying and have a look around. Most everyone in this hobby is helpful and will be happy to tell you everything you need to know about the hobby. Also, almost any AMA chartered club will have "instructor pilots" that will let you or your husband fly with them at absolutely not cost to you or risk of crashing! It's fun and rewarding, you just need to talk to the right folks! Hope this helps a little.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:36 PM
IAMKAOS

a good 4 channel high wing trainer with a flat bottom airfoil is a good start. but you looking around $300.00. your husband will need help. even trainers are hard to learn to fly for some people but not all. those who responded to your post are correct.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:50 PM
binky99

I am flying the Hobbico Nexstar (I bought used) but a complete system is $379...........still a few smaller things to buy, but if he goes to a club and finds an instructor....he can wait awhile on purchasing some of the stuff. A good instructor and/or club members will be more than happy to help him learn and will let him use their starter, glow stick etc......
Old 05-22-2007, 07:35 PM
zoott

I learned on a hobby-zone super-cub. cost $159.00. I taught myself. It is tough and you can buy spare parts cheap. He will outgrow it but better than crashing a balsa plane.If you go the balsa 4 servo trainer route he definately will need help from a experienced flier.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:46 PM
kojak41

[8D]These guys are right to go to the local hobby shop and find the local club and flying field. Different brands of equipment are popular in different parts of the country and you want to go with the thing spopular with the people who are actually flying where you are. That way you can use a "buddy box" while learning. It's interesting that although many brands are advertised, you will see that realitively few are actually being flown at the field. When you a beginning they all look like a P-51 to the new flyer.

Mike H.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:06 AM
davo580

here in western australia you can get a trainer for $100.00 but that is for the plane only then there is the motor, transmitter e.t.c generaly here it will cost about 500 dollars with every thing needed to get started. but that is here... but all of the above posts are right
Old 05-23-2007, 08:11 AM
KGif

Thank you all SO much for your helpful feedback. I really appreciate the honesty. I am obviously a complete newcomer to the r/c world and had no idea that training was even required. I'm so happy I found this site before rushing out and throwing down $$ on a plane my husband wouldn't even be able to fly
I definitely think we will go to the hobby shop as a family to get them started. That is a great suggestion.

Thanks again! You all have a great community going here!
Old 05-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Razoo
My Feedback: (2)

Military style (Warbirds) are nice but they aren't beginner planes. I started out with this: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFRU7&P=ML and highly recommend it. I've moved on to mostly nitro and gas planes but still like to fly the easystar.
As stated above, see if you can find a local flying club. Find out who runs it and give them a call (the AMA website has a listing. http://www.modelaircraft.org/). They'll be happy to hear from you and thrilled to help you out. No reason why it should just be a father and son thing either!!

Just one other thought, you might want to look into a simulator. Most guys I know have this one and really like it.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNYN1&P=ML
Old 05-23-2007, 03:03 PM
flightcrazed
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GET HIM A SIMULATOR!!!! Thats the best thing you can do for him at first... I learned to fly 3 years ago on the realflights G-2 sim and went out and maidened my plane with no buddy cord. I got to where I could land every plane on there with confidence then I went ahead and did it..
Old 05-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Steve_JR
My Feedback: (6)

The simulator is a very good idea. You will be put off by the price of them but boy are they worth it. For me I learned with only having to pay for club dues $50 and they let me use a donated trainer that the club kept. Lots of good places will do that. -Steve