Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

1st Crash

Old 05-31-2007, 07:31 PM
manks7477

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Crash

Still new to the hobby - at least the flying part of it. I was out at my club on Tuesday for my second round of flight training. My club is very serious and well organized about training. It seems that I have a knack for flying, because I am getting very close to a solo and very close to getting my wings. On Tuesday the head instructor wanted to see me fly just above stall speed, land, stop and take off. I wanted to show off that I could land the plane at the beginning of the runway and take off with out having to reposition. I wanted to show off my skills!

Everything is perfect, good speed, good control, I was turning on to the final approach, and the instructor said "you should ......." this is when the left wing hit the short little tree at the end of the runway. The instructor said, " I thought you were a bit low". I thought I was over the end of the field, not the trees! A slight error in judgement caused my little accident.

I got very lucky - I hit a small, soft pine tree when I was flying just above stall speed and I was low to the ground, the plane actually ended up on its wheels. The only dammage was a small dent in the wing - you could barely see it.

I gave the plane a quick inspection, took the wing off to make sure that all of the servos and rods were in place, refueled and took her up again. Flying slow again, I came in for a touch and go, I was a couple of feet off the ground, and too close to the end of the runway so I decided to go around, throttled up and the motor died. I was just off of the field over some small trees , I turned her down wind to get away from the bush, then cross wind to try to land, I had little speed, altitude or time. I was very calm and landed her about 6 feet from the bush. My instructed suggested I was a very lucky SOB, while the head instructor said, "i guess we don't have to test you on dead sticks".

I did three other deadsticks - all perfect - because my motor was having trouble, I have no fear of that happening any more!

Not sure what else I need to do to solo - I am ready now and want to get it over with!

manks
Old 05-31-2007, 07:51 PM
meaden

Default RE: 1st Crash

Not that I want them, but I think dead sticks are a good challenge. They really make you focus on altitude, airspeed and where you can put the plane down. A lot of times I'll cut the throttle at a random place and glide it in.

Sounds like your doing great!

I think they need to cut that little pine tree down We have enough pine trees here in Georgia one wouldn't be missed.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:11 PM
gadgetophile

Nice work!

Although all this talk of 'dead stick' landing makes me laugh. I learnt to fly on slope gliders, where every landing is a dead-stick (albeit with MUCH lower wing loading than a motorised model). Nowadays I cut the throttle just to keep my glider skills up to date (glide slopes, energy retention, thermalling) :-)
Old 05-31-2007, 10:48 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job ! Dealing with dead sticks is part of flying and after you learn to deal with them, it takes a little of the edge off.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Cyberfyn

Yeah, Dead sticks are fine..... Just wait until it happens with your helicopter [X(]

I had my first autorotation landing last night after my OS50 Hyper decided to eat a glow plug at around 200ft.

You couldn't have pushed a credit card between my but cheeks

Ian F.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:23 AM
frednjess

Dead stickin' it is part of the game. I learned to fly on electrics and you learn in a hurry how to dead stick it. When those batteries are dead, they're dead. It is good practice, though. I am a trainer with my local club and the avistar I fly tends to float on landing with the slightest bit of power. I actually prefer to dead stick it in just to keep the forward energy in check. (I'll probably get some razzing over this)
Old 06-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Jim C.

I actually prefer to dead stick it in just to keep the forward energy in check. (I'll probably get some razzing over this)
I dead stick my cloud dancer about 50% of the time. Not that its fast on landing, I just like to keep the gliding skill. The only thing that sucks is that you have to walk out for your plane. I used to do it on my trainers quite often.

A lot of times I'll cut the throttle at a random place and glide it in.
I'm glad im not the only one. I rarely see anyone do that. I thought I was just weird.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:07 PM
manks7477

I have had two nights of training, and a total of 6 Dead Sticks so far, only one was from running out of fuel, the others were engine tuning problems that I think are figured out now.

To say I have no fear is Dead Sticks is a bit of an exaggeration, but in truth they do not really concern me that much now.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:35 PM
gilbertfh
My Feedback: (5)

Dead sticks are pretty easy most of the time unless you are heading low away and with the wind. Makes it difficult to get back to the runway and depending on your field that is the only safe place. For newbs we usually can't fit a credit card between their butt cheeks at any time. But when we deadstick we could make diamonds.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:27 PM
waydown2low

Wait till you've been doing this thing for more than 15+ years, as an instructor, test pilot, and general crash test dummie. I have had more dead stick landings, than power on landings over the years. It is not a big deal unless your low and slow with some new unproven airplane that glides like a lead sled. I have been lucky and never destroyed my own or someone elses plane during one of these events. But I can say that I still run into occasions where my knees will start clattering like a 16 year old taking a driving test.

As far as not getting to solo yet, I would bring that up as soon as possible to your instructor, the learning curve doesn't get going good till your out on your own having to make all the decisions, and yes you will break a few airplanes but don't sweat it, just get another and keep on truckin! I would recommend practicing some kind of set aerobatic routine, basic pattern, Imac, whatever, it will help you develope skills with the rudder and and plane position, but don't worry about competing unless that is your cup of tea. Enjoy the hobby and have a blast and don't worry about what other people say do, what makes you happy.

If you can't see it anymore don't hand me the controls!![8D]
Old 06-11-2007, 09:36 PM
rcuman

My trainer had a bum motor in it. It would only run at full throttle and cut off anything below that. I had a few members look at it and they even said it was a faulty motor. Anyways gettting back on topic I found it easier to deadstick a plane than actually landing it powered when I started in the hobby. Don't know why. With a warbird it is a different story and a little more dicey. There is no telling how many times I have had to deadstick my TF p-47 and belly land on the grass due to a a certain brand of engine which I will not name here.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:37 PM
rcuman

ORIGINAL: waydown2low

If you can't see it anymore don't hand me the controls!![8D]

Oh yeah!!
I second that.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:20 AM
waydown2low

Mmmm, it wouldn't have a tiger for a mascot would it? If so, I feel your pain

UP is up, down is down, or is it?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:57 AM
rcuman

ORIGINAL: waydown2low

Mmmm, it wouldn't have a tiger for a mascot would it? If so, I feel your pain

UP is up, down is down, or is it?

hmm....
possibly
Old 06-29-2007, 08:34 PM
gilbertfh
My Feedback: (5)

You have good tigers and bad tigers... For those of you that have not had the joy of experiencing them. Thunder tiger motors run strong and reliable once broke in and Super tigers well... I havent' heard many good things about em.