Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage revs but doesnt move

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 05:19 AM
Gold Coaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage revs but doesnt move

Hello,
I am new into the savage world and i have bought a truck off ebay here in Australia.
It had just been run in and ready to run.
I have had it running for about 5 tanks now and have encountered a problem.

Something is slipping somewhere inside the truck, when i go to give it full throttle it just revs and doesnt move much.
I termintated running the truck as i knew something was wrong but later spent 3 hours taking it appart as per the manual trying to look for wear on the gears/clutch etc.

Where would the damage be?
How much am i looking at to fix it?
Sorry if this question has already been asked but i couldnt find it.
Thanks
Reece
Old 06-17-2007, 05:29 AM
HPISAVAGEMAN

Default RE: Savage revs but doesnt move

I dont think it will cost you anything to fix. The same thing happened to me when I just built my savage. I suggest that you take apart the whole spur gear(slipper clutch) assembly and re-assemble it making sure that the metal plate with the two holes is sitting into the grooves properly and then tighten the nut on the outside of the spur all the way and then 1/4 turn out. I hope this helps you.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:02 AM
Gold Coaster

Hello HPISAVAGEMAN
I took apart a casing with some gears and one large gear on the outside which is located under the airfilter and re - tightened as the screw was loose, i have no knowlage whatso ever rc engine world but i do believe that it was the clutch section. Its a savage x.
Once i tightened i tried and the same result,
Reece
Old 06-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Vigilante212

Check the little grub screws that goes into the drive cups for the transmission. Also check your spur gear(large one by engine) for any damage.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Oscardms

Is the clutch bell spinning with the engine or not? If it is not, then something might be wrong with the clutch shoes.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:02 PM
p8ntball

is the clutchbell moving? is anything stripped???
Old 06-17-2007, 06:03 PM
JQuest64

Does it have a reverse module in it? I had similar problems when a metal gear sleeve inside the reverse module broke.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Gold Coaster

Hello,
I have not attached a reverse modual and when i took the spur gear out and screwed it back together as it was not tight (i loosent half turn after), nothing was stripped, even the gearing looks ok with no sign of wear.
Where else could the problem be?
Thanks
Reece
Old 06-17-2007, 07:09 PM
mdh1979

Gold Coaster...

When you rev the engine does the clutchbell turn? If so, does it turn the spur gear?

Matt
Old 06-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Rather-B-Huntin

The same thing happened to my Savage X at about the same time as your incident (after about 5 tanks).
Turns out that my problem was the result of the factory neglecting to install one of the bearings in the rear differential.
I installed a new bearing where the one that should have been there was missing and it has ran like a scalded dog ever since.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Gold Coaster

Hello, when i start the engine it can move ok but as soon as i hit 1/2 throttle the truck doesnt pick up it just slowly creeps along.
I took the engine out last night and had a look at the cog which drives the spur gear and it doesnt look like it has had any damage. On the end of the gog from the engine there is a screw, should i be unscrewing that and having a look inside to see if there is any damage?

If it gets to the stage where i need to take it into a shop how much will i be looking at for a service and to fix the problem.
Thanks
Reece
Old 06-19-2007, 01:15 AM
Gold Coaster

Hi guys,
Thanks for your help so far.
I have checked everything and i am actualy learning alot about the truck taking most of it apart and checking for damage, and cleaning while i go.
I think the problem is with the clutch shoes as nothing else is worn or even showing any signs of damage. Is it usual for the clutch shoes to just go or have i been driving to hard.

How can i check if it is the clutch shoes, bit scared of starting the engine out of the truck. How much and where am i looking at to replace these shoes?
Thanks
Reece
Old 06-19-2007, 02:35 AM
monsterT

From all your post Reece, I think your clutch shoes are worn out. If you still have the original shoes which are black in color(made by teflon I think) they should be fairly round with the spings on if you look at them while they're installed in the fly wheel. If not, I suggest to get yourself some nova shoes. Good luck mate
Old 06-19-2007, 04:50 AM
benny2k

hey, i had this problem after running for about a hour...then if i let it cool, and started it again it wouldn't mve, and i was the brake, it was sticking on beause when i was breaking it would not release properly and the two diffrnet materials were cooling together and sticking...maybe this would be worth checking?
Old 06-19-2007, 05:36 AM
Gold Coaster

Ok, thanks MonsterT and benny2k.
How much are they worth, so i am not getting ripped off, i see them on ebay us for 25 odd bucks (us)
I think i would buy the whole assembly so i dont have to fiddle round with replacing the shoes.
Thanks Guys
Reece
Old 06-19-2007, 05:21 PM
monsterT

You can't go wrong with either nova or muggen shoes. I can't remember how much coz it's been a while, could be $30 to $40 USD. I replaced mine after 4 weeks of bashing[>:]

[&:][&:][&:]
Old 06-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Gold Coaster

Ok, Thanks, I have bought the Integy Clutch Flywheel kit.

Came to 31 aud, i thought that was pretty good.
Thanks for your help hopefully this will fix it.

Just one last question, while driving on flat land and going into a corner the truck would stop revving, this is when i locked up the wheels either turning left or right and i would have to let the wheels go back to straight before i could give it some more gas, is this normal?
Reece
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80624.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	707336  
Old 06-19-2007, 06:56 PM
monsterT

Hmmm, that's new to me. The only thing I can think of is if your truck has slowed down while turning could be the wheels hiting the arms and you'll need to adjust your EPA that is if you're using Spektrum or some high end remote. Check you front wheels, drive shafts and your HSN setting. That's all I can think for now, maybe the experts will chime in for more answers[&:]
Old 06-20-2007, 12:23 AM
Gold Coaster

How do i go about removing the cluch and flywheel to replace them?
Doesnt say it in the manual so would rather be safe then sorry
Thanks
Reece
Old 06-20-2007, 12:38 AM
monsterT

You only need to replace the clutch shoes not the flywheel. You have to remove the engine and place it in a vice or vice grip will do clamping the flywheel only. You then need #2 phillips screw driver to undo the screws that hold the clutch bell. Once the CB is off you'll see the shoes. The manual will help you to put them back in order. Exploded views are included in there. Don't forget to use thread lock on the screw when you put it back.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:22 AM
Gold Coaster

Hello again, the clutch setup that i bought came with a flywheel didnt it?
Would i be best to just replace it with the new one?
Thanks for your help so far, Where in Aussie are you from, MonsterT?
Reece
Old 06-20-2007, 02:03 AM
monsterT

I'm from Sydney mate but I regularly visit Gold Coast I just look at your pic again and indeed you got the fly wheel too. You will need a flywheel puller to install the new one. A mate told me you can get them from Supercheap or............ just install the shoes. I can't see any gain on replacing the flywheel if there's nothing wrong with it. Just keep it as spare[&:]
Old 06-20-2007, 02:20 AM
Gold Coaster

ah k, cheers,
Well next time your heading up to the Gold Coast, bring up the truck and we can go for a bash, hopefully mine will be running by then lol.
We have a rc race track up here and an off road track which are pretty new so you should have a look if you get a chance while your up here.

So this flywheel it just pulls off but you need the tool, no unscrewing or anything, just thinking that if the cluch comes assembled as in with clutch shoes in wont it just be easier to pull out old replace with new?
Cheers
Reece
Old 06-20-2007, 04:03 AM
boydie1

Gold Coaster just replace the clutch shoes & re-sell the flywheel as you really dont need it & this will help pay for your clutch shoes.Are you still running teh F4.1 engine. If you have any thing over a .28 engine you want the spur gear/slipper clutch nut tightened all way up then backed off 1/8-1/4 turn as this could still be slipping especially if the metal plate or fibre clutch are glazed
Old 06-20-2007, 05:12 AM
monsterT

ORIGINAL: Gold Coaster

ah k, cheers,
Well next time your heading up to the Gold Coast, bring up the truck and we can go for a bash, hopefully mine will be running by then lol.
We have a rc race track up here and an off road track which are pretty new so you should have a look if you get a chance while your up here.

So this flywheel it just pulls off but you need the tool, no unscrewing or anything, just thinking that if the cluch comes assembled as in with clutch shoes in wont it just be easier to pull out old replace with new?
Cheers
Reece

I forgot to mentioned that if you really want to remove the flywheel you will need to undo the nut that holds it in place[:@] But if I were you, I'll just replace the shoes much easier

But like boydie1 said sell the flywheel save the money so when we come up there you can shout us some coldie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.